Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gaia has failed me.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever seen grammatical errors or spelling errors on an item or in an announcement?
  Yes (Post what it was or where to find it please!)
  No
View Results

Houra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:08 pm
I was recently looking around Tektek when I noticed a grammatical error in an item description. I figured that the creator must have just copy and pasted all of the item descriptions from Gaia so I went into the marketplace to see if Gaia was the one that made the mistake.

It was Gaia.

They say, and I quote, "It would take more then an apple to keep this doctor away."
(That's from the Plague Doctor, by the way.)

I think that this is so simple, you learn the difference between these two words so early on and I don't understand how you could make this mistake. I also saw a sign at my local Post Office that had the same mistake, it said, "Ring the bell if you have been in this line longer then five minutes."

I'm so frustrated by this...

But to end my rant I have a question: On the Sugarplum Bodice is there not supposed to be a comma after "dinner"?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 am
I've seen quite a few, but I can't remember where. Many older items are riddled with errors, and while newer items aren't safe from grammatical mangling, fewer errors show up.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Jerba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:57 pm
Oh, God, that item description is bad. So terribly bad.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:10 am
Wow, I've seen many signs like those at my local Wal-Mart, in textbooks, and even on college pamphlets!

I'm lucky I haven't bumped into any of those errors on Gaia...

kuro xx mae

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:45 pm
We were just discussing this problem of "then" versus "than" in sentences in my Intro to Proofreading class. I believe my professor said something about how people are too lazy to speak the difference.

I am certain that I have seen other mistakes on here, but I can't think of any of them off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 am
It was just this morning when the Daily Chance gave me an Aquarium Earth. Being all anxious to go back to My Inventory to sell the things the Daily Chance gave me, I quickly pressed "Close," but not before I noticed an error. I went to My Aquarium and rested my mouse over the description. It said (roughly), "Show of your planet spirit by putting this in your tank." Isn't it supposed to be "off", not "of"? The actual description is better, so anyone with an Aquarium Earth, go check it out!  

Princess Tessa of Sailand

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:09 pm
I know I've seen mistakes, but it was a while ago. I wouldn't know where to find them now. Mostly I see mistakes in newspaper and books in real life (they pop up everywhere, even for simple stuff). I think, though, that as Gaia matures, it gets better editors that watch out for things like that. However, something will always manage to slip through.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm
Wow. That was actually done in an announcement? What on earth?  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sarcastic Remark

Hygienic Lover

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 pm
I just found one in the last EI announcement and I remembered this thread. =D

"Timmy: I'm real sorry to here that, Brother Swimp. I myself am freezin' my undercarriage off, even with this big ol' coat. Maybe I shoulda worn long pants... but hey, enough complainin': I'm doin' this for spiritual enlightenment and stuff, so I gotta act like a man about it."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 pm
Oh, dear god. gonk Maybe it was a typo? rolleyes  

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Melantha007

8,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:11 pm
I honestly can't remember at the moment where I've seen typos on the site, but I know they are there. It irks me when I see them, because I was on the spelling team for five years in grade school and my parents are a generation older than those of my peers, so they were constantly at me to use proper grammar and diction. (It also doesn't help that Grandma used to be a schoolteacher for over 40 years...) sweatdrop  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games