Submit

How long would the war have taken?
  1-2 Years
  3-4 Years
  5+ Years
View Results

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:40 pm
I'm just posting to really see how many people agree with me on this.

Now it doesn't how we invaded or why, whats done is done, but as soon as we invaded the nation's attitude should have changed. The nation went to "Let's bring our troops home at all costs" instead of "Let's kick some a** and take some names at all costs". If America had thrown it's weight behind the war it would have taken two years MAX.

So really it's those un-patriotic "OMFG WAR BAD" people are the reason in this war still, in essence they are complaining about themselves, No?

Oh and for a side topic what are your feelings on the Gaza Strip? Personally i think Isreal has the green light for "Operation Hamas GTFO".  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm
Your missing an option: Never.

We will never win the war simply because there is no identifiable enemy to focus on. Just like in Vietnam there is no front line, and typically by the time you identify the enemy you have lost the upper hand.

EDIT: America needs to get back on track and leave international affairs alone like we were supposed to. People wouldn't be hating us if we didn't do anything to or for anyone else. (See Switzerland)  

Freak_090
Captain

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:56 pm
Middle East parking lot.

1. Iraq is producing WMDs. Their civilians are plotting recreations of 9/11.

2. Nukes

3. ???

4. Profit  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:01 pm
Freak_090
EDIT: America needs to get back on track and leave international affairs alone like we were supposed to. People wouldn't be hating us if we didn't do anything to or for anyone else. (See Switzerland)
I'd like to point out that the last war Switzerland fought involved lots of blades and pointy sticks, few guns, the year started with '16', and it was against the Swiss. Switzerland beat Switzerland's a** in less than a year, and the peasants rejoiced.

On the flip side, the last decade the US has had with no direct involvement in a war was the 1920's. Before that, it was the 1870's, I think. Definitely late 1800's. Other than that, we've been involved in one military action or another since 1776.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 pm
I don't claim enough understanding about the current politics of this particular war to have a sound or valid opinion on the subject.

And yet I'm not just a little bit fed up with the situation itself. War's no fun these days. We can't just say, "These are the Japanese. You don't like them. Go kill them and things will get better, okay?" And we did and they did and here we are. But this whole terrorism, oil, fighting sects of equally pissy groups of people? I want it to go away.

Bleh. I supposrt Rommel's Middle East parking lot suggestion.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 pm
My take on what happened in Iraq is simple. It should never have happened in the first place. Our forces were sold out with marching orders to perform an impossible job and no time frame to resolve the situation. Our best and brightest were wasted. Their families destroyed.

Had we done the right thing and finished in Afghanistan first, then cleaned up the border with Pakistan, then the worst of the problems would have been solved. Bin Laden's forces would have been tied up just as neatly in Afghanistan had the war been prosecuted properly on one front. Now Cheney may be quite right in his predictions today that they will rebuild and attack again.

I find it laughable that the Russians just today offered their assistance in our problems in Afghanistan. We've already learned their lessons on what not to do there.

As for Hamas, I hope the Israeli military finally closes the book on them once and for all. The people of Gaza are tired of the stupidity of violence. The only thing keeping Hamas in power is their endless flow of cash that they spread out in the wake of their campaigns. And plenty of people are willing to take their blood money.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:58 am
Fresnel
Freak_090
I'd like to point out that the last war Switzerland fought involved lots of blades and pointy sticks, few guns, the year started with '16', and it was against the Swiss. Switzerland beat Switzerland's a** in less than a year, and the peasants rejoiced.

On the flip side, the last decade the US has had with no direct involvement in a war was the 1920's. Before that, it was the 1870's, I think. Definitely late 1800's. Other than that, we've been involved in one military action or another since 1776.

Note: "...like we were supposed to." I forget where he said it, but George Washington had clearly stated that the US was supposed to be a nuetral country.

I'm not understanding your point about switzerland's civil war...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 am
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Note: "...like we were supposed to." I forget where he said it, but George Washington had clearly stated that the US was supposed to be a nuetral country.

A civil war is like an invasion. When someone starts s**t, you kind of have to fight it. France HAD to fight WW2. It was fight or be conquered. We did not have to fight in Iraq. It was fight or maybe they'll attack their neighbors some day. So they fought the war they had to fight, they fought it quick and dirty and it was over so fast it hardly qualifies as a war.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 am
You can't win this kind of war until they're all dead and their ideal is dead as well.

Germany pwned France, but as soon as the invasion of Normandy happened, or after it was succeeding, the French got balls again and did a lot more 'guerrilla' warfare on the Germans.
They got pwnt in the cities because the French would drop grenades from any of the buildings into uncovered trucks or half tracks and the others would pop them as they lept over the sides or tried to get out the hatch of the SdKfz 251. I'm sure they lobbed Molotovs as well.

Unless you waive all concern of the civilians and concern of historical or religious safe areas, the enemy will hide amongst them because they're safe and incognito.

But they have groups of this s**t everywhere which is why it's so difficult to stop them.
Sure, you can turn their home country into a glass field, but others will live and will want revenge.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 am
Hamas and Palestine need to get their s**t together and push the Israelies back to the sea.

And It's very rare for everyone to agree on a war.  

Inquisitor Brock

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am
General opinion on the middle east:

They fought from the beginning of time.
They will fight until the end of time.
Us going over there won't change things in the long term.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 am
Honustly, Hamas is a mild group, compared to most of the others in the region. The IDF has also declared that they only want to cripple and not distroy hamas for that resion.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm
Man of the Demoneye
General opinion on the middle east:

They fought from the beginning of time.
They will fight until the end of time.
Us going over there won't change things in the long term.
Makes you wonder how far removed the middle east is from Africa, in the end. Because Africa is exactly the ******** same, and nobody's ever been able to change it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

A civil war is like an invasion. When someone starts s**t, you kind of have to fight it. France HAD to fight WW2. It was fight or be conquered. We did not have to fight in Iraq. It was fight or maybe they'll attack their neighbors some day. So they fought the war they had to fight, they fought it quick and dirty and it was over so fast it hardly qualifies as a war.

That only proves my point.

It's a lot easier to take over a country if you are ALREADY in it, no?  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

That only proves my point.

It's a lot easier to take over a country if you are ALREADY in it, no?
Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Switzerland hasn't been attacked because they've given nobody any reason to hate them. They've kept to themselves for five hundred years and built up a feared defense force. They don't start anything, and nobody wants to fight them, so they stay happy and neutral.

Whereas you have America, who gets terrorized rather frequently for being on ANOTHER CONTINENT, and we've been marching around the world now for about sixty years, stomping foreign faces into the mud and forcing our ideals on them. Hell, the last war we were completely justified in fighting was our own civil war.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff