Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Otaku Anonymous
Gaia banning IP addresses good or bad idea?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hachi_ ateyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 pm
Do you think its a good idea for Gaia to be able to ban IP address. SO many people complain about all these illegal things going on in Gaia. I know that some people would be banned that weren't suppose to be banned. If you know the account is a mule and you know there trying to scam you in that case they should. I think banning IP addresses would solve a lot of issues. Maybe they could do it in serious situations.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:51 pm
No, because many people have accounts on shared computers, and IP addresses aren't really that difficult to change anyways.  

Haru Glory

hachi_ ateyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 pm
Haru Glory
No, because many people have accounts on shared computers, and IP addresses aren't really that difficult to change anyways.

Thats kind of the point then you can't run over to your mule and use that for illegal activity.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:22 pm
I share a computer with my sister, and we both have separate accounts on Gaia. If I did something against the ToS that got my computer's IP address banned, my sister's account would also be banned, which would not be fair to her. That is why I think that IP bans are not a good idea.  

Haru Glory

hachi_ ateyou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:28 pm
Haru Glory
I share a computer with my sister, and we both have separate accounts on Gaia. If I did something against the ToS that got my computer's IP address banned, my sister's account would also be banned, which would not be fair to her. That is why I think that IP bans are not a good idea.

I just think there are very few people that have siblings on Gaia. I just hate all the boting. I hate the annoying emails I get and all the really inappropriate comments so I would think this would solve it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:34 pm
There are 16 million registered users on gaia, give or take the million or so mules and etc. Even if the users with shared comps were in the minority, they are at least a couple million of us. Besides, anybody who knows how to use google can change their IP address easily. It sucks that you're getting spammed with pms and the like, but IP bans aren't gonna fix the problem.  

Haru Glory

hachi_ ateyou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm
Haru Glory
There are 16 million registered users on gaia, give or take the million or so mules and etc. Even if the users with shared comps were in the minority, they are at least a couple million of us. Besides, anybody who knows how to use google can change their IP address easily. It sucks that you're getting spammed with pms and the like, but IP bans aren't gonna fix the problem.

I see your point. It is annoying but easy to do. I think it would make those who are stupid spammers or botters scared enough not to bot because they know there going to get banned. It wouldn't prevent the good ones though. They would also possibly lose all their stuff (if they didn't transfer it over to other accounts each day or so).

I think there are more positives to banning IP addresses then negatives.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
And I believe there are more negatives then positives. Agree to disagree?  

Haru Glory

Otaku Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff