Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
OH MAH GAWSH GUYS Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krilliad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 pm
So, my NJROTC unit is actually looking into getting a rifle team.

This is great, because guess what? I am the only one who wons any guns in my unit, and I seem to be the only one who knows anything about safety WITH guns. So, rather soon, I will be commanding a rifle team.

I need some ideas on how to accept/deny people into the team as I have limited space. HALP  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:08 pm
Congrats;
Now you will be volunteered to educate those individuals.

Also, do the whole Full Metal Jacket deal with, "this is my rifle, this is my gun" and the whole 'Rifleman's Creed'.

Well, the first one may be a bit inappropriate, but it does settle a habit.  

OberFeldwebel

Krilliad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:11 pm
OberFeldwebel
Congrats;

Also, do the whole Full Metal Jacket deal with, "this is my rifle, this is my gun" and the whole 'Rifleman's Creed'.
Now now, i can't get away with that, I'm sure someone would b***h.

But I'll try for you xp  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 pm
Battlefield Reaper
OberFeldwebel
Congrats;

Now now, i can't get away with that, I'm sure someone would b***h.

But I'll try for you xp

Read my edit. lol  

OberFeldwebel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:50 am
What?
I changed it before you replied, or just as you were replying.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 pm
Classic shooting range test with pellet guns. If they're an idiot with a pellet gun, you quickly learn not to give them the real deal. That's how my old NJROTC Marksmanship Team did it. Open try outs for the unit, make sure they at least have SOME sense of how to SAFELY fire a weapon, then see about some guns with kick. I knew a kid, great shot with a pellet gun, but he was an idiot and couldn't grasp the concept of the safty. Shot my CO in the back on the head. Still has a nice, star-shaped scar there from it. Needless to say, didn't make the cut after that.  

Sidal

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 pm
Teach them the basics on .22s. They're cheap. Stress hearing protection, and work them like ******** dogs. The worse you make it, the more will drop out. Those that stay are dedicated. Dedication is better than talent when it comes to team sports.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:10 pm
Fresnel
Teach them the basics on .22s. They're cheap. Stress hearing protection, and work them like ******** dogs. The worse you make it, the more will drop out. Those that stay are dedicated. Dedication is better than talent when it comes to team sports.

+1

But I would throw in a "basic rules of firearm safety" quiz before going to the range. Keep it simple and have common sense questions that way you only weed-out the incompetent idiots who shouldn't have a gun to begin with.

Example: Where should you point a gun? Anything along the lines of "Safe direction" and "intended target" are acceptable  

Freak_090
Captain

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:29 pm
I like both Sidal and Fres' ideas. Start with the pellet guns, then work up to .22s, and if they get past that, start going into larger calibers.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel

+1

But I would throw in a "basic rules of firearm safety" quiz before going to the range. Keep it simple and have common sense questions that way you only weed-out the incompetent idiots who shouldn't have a gun to begin with.

Example: Where should you point a gun? Anything along the lines of "Safe direction" and "intended target" are acceptable
Even the ignorant can be taught, though. I've seen people come into the rifle team with no idea which part of the gun does which short of 'this is the trigger and this is the barrel', and they've turned out to be damn good shots.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Krilliad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 am
Guy's I'd like to remind I live in Kommifornia.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:51 am
Battlefield Reaper
I'd like to remind you that the California team holds the current National Infantry Trophy, edging out AZ by a good margin. Just because you're a Kommifornian doesn't mean you can't make a good team.

Speaking of, what shooting discipline are you looking to get into?

EDIT: See?

National Infantry Trophy Team Match Results:
5: California Grizzlies 1233
6: USMC Gold 1210
7: Arizona SRP Gold ******** California juniors beat the USMC Marksmanship Unit Gold team. Arizona SRP is the ASRPA Junior team.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Krilliad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 pm
Fresnel
Battlefield Reaper
I'd like to remind you that the California team holds the current National Infantry Trophy, edging out AZ by a good margin. Just because you're a Kommifornian doesn't mean you can't make a good team.

7: Arizona SRP Gold ******** California juniors beat the USMC Marksmanship Unit Gold team. Arizona SRP is the ASRPA Junior team.

Can you dumb down the vocab a bit, explain the infantry unit...thing.
And also, I want a team that is well disciplined, can shoot decently (though other things are more important), and I want them to be able to show for every practice, to be able to follow orders, and to teach them gun safety and other gun stuff procedures.
Also I am very tired, this post may or may not make sense.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm
Battlefield Reaper
Fresnel
Battlefield Reaper

Can you dumb down the vocab a bit, explain the infantry unit...thing.
And also, I want a team that is well disciplined, can shoot decently (though other things are more important), and I want them to be able to show for every practice, to be able to follow orders, and to teach them gun safety and other gun stuff procedures.
Also I am very tired, this post may or may not make sense.
It's a rapid fire match with a six-man team. The team is given 384 rounds (one battle case) to use throughout the match (those don't count towards the 384, though). Two sighters are fired from prone at 600 yards. Then you get 50 seconds of rapid fire on a silhouette target. Eight targets are raised, two shooters must engage two targets each. After the scoring is complete, the shooters stand up and walk forwards. When the line of shooters approaches the 500 yard line, the "load and be ready" command is given, and the shooters must run forwards, drop down, load their ammo, and wait for the targets to come up (though you don't often get the luxury of waiting, they're often up before you can load). After another 50-second period, the targets are again scored, the line advances to 300 yards where the same thing repeats, except it's fired from sitting on head-and-shoulders silhouettes. Then the same at 200 from standing. Hits are worth 4 points at 600, 3 at 500, and so on. There's also a rule about "squaring" for points, but it's a bit complicated and I'm sure you don't care that much. It's a match of speed, accuracy, and teamwork. If your target either fails to come up or for some reason you are unable to shoot at it, you fire on a teammate's target. If your gun malfunctions and you can't fix it, pass off your ammo to your teammates.

But generally, you can get everything you want by punishing your team. The ones that leave quickly wouldn't have stayed anyway when you started really training. The ones that will stick to the team because they want to shoot on the team no matter how bad it gets... those are the dedicated shooters that will work hard to get better, they'll show up even if it's pouring rain, and they will listen to the team captain (you).

Just don't make it too hard, or you'll end up with nobody. It's a fine line.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out