Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Are any of you laptop-savvy? MOAR EDITS Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one do you think?
  Samsung - Good quality and design. It's worth the extra!
  MSI - Similar functions as Samsung for less. Smaller keyboard isn't a big deal.
  Acer - Cheap and portable, decent sized keyboard. What's .4 inches lost, anyway?
View Results

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 pm
TL;DR in red.

Through a long series of events that would be pointless to explain, I've had a laptop around for the last week or so, and I'm loving it. There's almost nothing on it (it's not new, but Windows was just installed onto it fresh) so it's clean and fast. It lets me get my writing done in the comfort of my bed at two AM and surf the internet basically wherever I can plug a cord into it (the wireless card isn't set up yet). But it has two issues:

1 - It's pretty big and heavy. It's portable the way you could bring it anywhere you wanted to in a house or a car, but I would never want to lug it around anywhere.

and 2 - It's my dad's, really. Not mine.

So I want one, but a more portable, lighter thing.
It doesn't have to have much, just...

No Macs. They may be better, I don't know. But I've been using Windows since I first touched a mouse when I was about seven, so I'm not about to learn a new operating system and have to use all kinds of fruity Mac programs.

It needs at least one USB port, preferably two. Neither floppy drive nor CD drive would be necessary with the option of external drives, as suggested by Fresnesl, but they would be a plus. I won't be running any big games or programs on it, so it doesn't need a huge memory. Pretty much just writing and internet surfing. But it has to be reasonably fast. I get frustrated over slow things. Speakers are desired, but optional. A headphone jack, however, is a must. I need music!

It also has to be under $400.

I can be a little flexible with that, but there's guns to buy, and I need a car one of these days. So I don't wanna go broke on this thing.

Any ideas?

Wisely, I always copy a message before I submit it on the off chance something will ******** up. And something did! Glad I copied.

With Fresnel's suggestion of an external CD/DVD drive, one is no longer necessary in a model you might suggest.

EDITS: Some models I've been looking at:
Samsung NC10 - 10.2", 160 GB hard drive, 6 cell battery, Win. XP, 93% keyboard, 2.9 pounds, 3x USB - $500 appx.

MSI Wind U100 - 10.2", 160 GB hard drive, 6 cell battery, Win. XP, 80% keyboard, 2.6 pounds, 3x USB, integrated bluetooth, reports of faulty trackpads - $400 appx.

Acer Aspire One - 9.8", 160 GB hard drive, 6 cell battery, Win. XP, 89% keyboard, 2.2 pounds, 3x USB, mouse buttons are on the sides of the trackpad - $350 appx.

So I've got it between three, unless someone suggests another. the Samsung looks good for its appearance and it looks like it was built for the 6 cell battery it uses, where the Acer's sticks out on the back. And the 93% keyboard is a plus for me. But $500 is pretty steep, especially since I'll be going for an external CD/DVD drive that will end up around $100, plus a case for the notebook.

The MSI Wind has integrated bluetooth, which is neat, and it's cheaper than the Samsung. It also looks good aesthetically. the 80% keyboard is actually smaller than the Acer's, even though the Acer is smaller itself. That's a little weird.

The Acer I still can't decide if it's too small or not. It probably isn't, but I really need to see it before I can decide. Right now it's a battle between sizes rather than models. Do I want 10.2 or 8.9? Once I get that it'll be easy. If I pick 8.9 the Acer is the one. If I pick 10.2 it'll be tougher. I know the Samsung brand more than MSI and I like that 93% keyboard, but is it worth the extra hundred?

See, when I spend hundreds of dollars on something, I make sure I know it's what I want.

The portability of the Acer is a nice point, but will I be bringing it enough places that it will matter? Since I'll be using it maybe 90% of the time at home, the lower price might be more attractive to me than the portability.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 am
Well im useing my Acer Extensa 5420, cost me 550 Canadian in July, price has probably dropped since then though.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:02 am
That one doesn't have a wireless card either. neutral

If you're not going to be carrying it up Mount Currahee and back, why are you concerned with it being very light?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:43 am
humm if the Extensa 5420 dosent have a card how am I on the internet?  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 am
If you can live with a small screen, one of the new Atom powered mini laptops would suit your remote web browsing needs.

I was cruising the Circuit City and saw several netbook sized laptops, including one from Lenova (formerly IBM) for well under $400 U.S. I would love to have the Lenova just for the build quality.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5748292?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/s-series?cid=us|semd|ggl|us_sseries_en|t12F26|s&&s_kwcid=lenovo netbook|2665992241  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 pm
ArmasTermin
No Macs.
I see where I'm not wanted...

By the way, a friend of mine who's FAR more computer savvy than I bought that exact Acer at Wal-Mart for 200-and-some dollars. He's loved it. If you wanted, you could buy an external CD drive for under $100 and just plug it in (like this one, which plays/burns CDs and reads DVDs), but it has two SD card slots (like the ones in most cameras, or the adapters for the MicroSD cards that go in cell phones), and several USB ports which you could plug a flash drive into. I've seen 64GB flash drives for about $100, and smaller ones like 1 or 2-gig drives go for around $10. He loves the thing, and the screen is incredible. He's had tons of fun with the little thing. Really though, check your Wal-Mart first, they might actually have the cheapest price around. It'll also give you a better idea of how truly small the thing is. If you have a pair of BDUs, you could put it in the cargo pocket.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 pm
Orkronos
humm if the Extensa 5420 dosent have a card how am I on the internet?
Cat5? neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 pm
Thanks for all of your comments.

Orkronos - I'll look into that one.

OberFeldwebel - It doesn't have to be very light, just not heavy either. Reasonably portable, I guess. I would venture an ideal weight, but I don't know how heavy the laptop in the house is, so I wouldn't know how to compare it. If it was relatively small, though, it'd be okay if it were heavier.

Floyd - The thing would be close to me when I'm using it, so a small screen isn't a bad thing. I'll look at those links, thanks.

Fresnel - Ha, no offense to Macs or Mac users, I'm just not interested in them. I never thought about an external drive, though. That would allow me to use the thing portably and still have it do more when around the house (which would be most of the time). I will indeed look at stores before I go for online buying. And yeah, those flash drives are great. I have an 8GB one that suits my needs well and was super cheap. I'll probably end up getting more. Oh, and my computer is being retarded and won't load your link. Could you tell me the model name of that external drive?  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:59 pm
ArmasTermin
Ha, no offense to Macs or Mac users, I'm just not interested in them. I never thought about an external drive, though. That would allow me to use the thing portably and still have it do more when around the house (which would be most of the time). I will indeed look at stores before I go for online buying. And yeah, those flash drives are great. I have an 8GB one that suits my needs well and was super cheap. I'll probably end up getting more. Oh, and my computer is being retarded and won't load your link. Could you tell me the model name of that external drive?
That particular one was a "Lite-On 8X External Slim Drive, Black" for $99.99 with a $15 mail-in rebate, but I'm sure if you look around you could find better or similar deals (there was a $70 Sony on Frys, but it was sold out). Especially if you don't need to be able to write CDs or such. I've found the best places to buy quality goods for cheap are eBay, Frys.com, and newegg.com.

But yeah, I've been stuck on externals because my internal is fried, and I'm past warranty. Sucks. Gotta use my external all the time, and my Firewire cord is only 3' long. Can't lay in bed and use the drive at the same time.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 am
Well, samsung has some newer kinds of laptops, their "ultra mobile" Notebooks, they cost a little over $400 bucks, but since you said about that I'll assume that a few extra bucks is ok.

It's a very small notebook and I don't kow how much power you're looking for, but it's just a thought.

NC10 and other laptops.  

Krilliad

Barru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:30 pm
Ok, the extremely heavy laptops are mostly the gaming laptops and the ones that are meant to take a beating.

I have a Toshiba Satellite (pro I think) I like it a lot.

It was my first laptop and it's a pretty good one.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:22 pm
Battlefield Reaper
Well, samsung has some newer kinds of laptops, their "ultra mobile" Notebooks, they cost a little over $400 bucks, but since you said about that I'll assume that a few extra bucks is ok.

It's a very small notebook and I don't kow how much power you're looking for, but it's just a thought.

NC10 and other laptops.

That one looks good. $470 is almost $500. A little high.

Still I'm thinking one of those 9-something inch ones would be too small. Or maybe 10.2 is too big... Hm. I need a better idea of how big these really are. Maybe I can find all the dimensions for them somewhere. Semi-full size keyboard is important for writing, as a note.

I really wish I could just try all these out. I think a Best Buy trip is in order soon.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 pm
ArmasTermin
Battlefield Reaper

NC10 and other laptops.

That one looks good. $470 is almost $500. A little high.

Still I'm thinking one of those 9-something inch ones would be too small. Or maybe 10.2 is too big... Hm. I need a better idea of how big these really are. Maybe I can find all the dimensions for them somewhere. Semi-full size keyboard is important for writing, as a note.

I really wish I could just try all these out. I think a Best Buy trip is in order soon.
They carry the Acer netbook at Wal-Mart, and if you ask they'll let you take it out and fiddle with it. Yeah, it's small, but the keyboard runs to the very edge of the 'book, the mouse buttons are on the sides of the pad instead of the bottom, and the normally-wide function keys (return, shift, tab, capslock) are shortened to letter-key size. It takes some getting used to, but it's not ungainly. Personally, I don't use the mouse button anymore, I just tap the trackpad, and the Acer allows that. But you're right, there's nothing wrong with taking it for a test drive.

And FYI, Wal-Mart doesn't ask questions on a return. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm
Fair warning: news reports today claim the maker of the motherboards and some finished hardware is going to raise their prices next month. They've done some damage control to try and minimize the backlash this might cause.

The take away point is this: Buy Now or pay more next month.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/12/asus.price.increases/  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm
Floyd
Fair warning: news reports today claim the maker of the motherboards and some finished hardware is going to raise their prices next month. They've done some damage control to try and minimize the backlash this might cause.

The take away point is this: Buy Now or pay more next month.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/12/asus.price.increases/

Hm. Your post in combination with Fresnel's before yours has told me the best decision would be to purchase the Acer at Wal Mart. I would avoid the price increase. I would be able to try the machine. If I weren't satisfied I could return it and purchase the Samsung. Seems like a logical choice.

Thank you all for your advice, though I'll admit some feelings of silliness for getting all your information and choosing the model I had in mind before I even created the topic...

lol  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces