Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Pentacle/Pentagram

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deceased Poet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:40 pm
So, I have this pentacle-necklace that my boyfriend got for me for my birthday because he's the one who showed me the Wicca path and got me interested.
Well, that was 5 months ago. My mom has a really big thing against anything that doesn't associate with God. I.E. Satanism, Atheism, Agnostic...so on and so fourth. The problem is that I've been wearing it ever since I got it. My mom looks at it....maybe two, three days ago and she rips it off my neck. She thinks it is "The Devil's Curse".
She thinks it is this: User Image (PENTAGRAM)
rather then:User Image (This is the actual necklace that he got me...it's a lot more shiny, the lighting just sucks)
She thinks it's the pentagram...She confuses pentagram with pentacle. I KNOW there is a distinct difference between the two and I've tried explaining it to her...but maybe I need a little more knowledge.
My question is how do I explain to her the actual differences between the two rather then her thinking it's Satanic?
I really would love to keep wearing it. It means a lot to me, and I feel a lot more comfortable with it on, and it represents all that I believe in...
Help?
P.S sorry for the long post. sweatdrop
Blessed be.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 pm
If you want to keep on wearing it, why don't you tuck it under your shirt?
I've heard many definitions, but I'm not sure which is correct. You may have to research it.
Sorry, I couldn't be more help. sweatdrop  

RubyLight

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 pm
The way "pentacle" is usually used, the only difference is the circle around it. A pentagram is just a five-pointed star.

Tell her that the symbol has been used by Christians to symbolise the five wounds of Christ.

The first image you used tends to be called the sigil of baphomet, I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm
Tell her its just a star, idk.
It's a peaceful symbol, in any case.

All I can tell you, get a longer chain.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

krav majo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 am
Wikipedia article on pentacles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentacle  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:40 am
I was taught it is immaterial whether the star is in a circle or not - you can call it a pentacle or a pentagram, either way.

What a pentacle is is a sigil graven or drawn onto a surface - and the sigil will vary, depending on the purpose and path involved. A pentacle is not nescessarily just a pentagram in a circle. My high priestess tends to regard only those pentagrams (with or without circle) that have some kind of magical writing on them, as pentacles.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 am
the pentacle and the pentagram (as far as i know) have many representations, such as: peace, love, the wounds of christ, protection, the 4 elements and the spirit and/or the 5 elements of feng shui, so take your pick.

the main difference is the goat head (and intent/personal beliefs), as many pagans also use the pentacle in inverted form.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:37 am
they mean the same thing really but people think that the pentagram is worse then the pentacle i have two necklaces with pentacles on them and at first my mom didnt want me to wear it but she got used to it and gave up on taking it away. if she takes it then snatch it back put it back on and ignore what she says coz she may be ur mother but u are not her little robot u are independent and u have a right to express what ever u want to. u should say that to her shes gonna get mad but thats to bad for her right!?  

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm
xXOnYx MoOnXx
they mean the same thing really but people think that the pentagram is worse then the pentacle i have two necklaces with pentacles on them and at first my mom didnt want me to wear it but she got used to it and gave up on taking it away. if she takes it then snatch it back put it back on and ignore what she says coz she may be ur mother but u are not her little robot u are independent and u have a right to express what ever u want to. u should say that to her shes gonna get mad but thats to bad for her right!?

Wow. Your advice, to be frank, is the action of a spoiled and rude child. It is ungracious, self-centered, and disrespectful in the extreme.

In the US, parents have the right, until a child reaches the age of majority, to decide their education and upbringing - and that includes religiously. That is the law. If your parents don't like what you're doing, you have two options: stop until you are a legal adult, or move out on your own autonomy, and remove their authority over you.

Even if it weren't law, you exist under your parents hospitality until you no longer reside under their roof - it is incredibly disrespectful and rude to ignore them, and basically throw that hospitality into their faces. Parents should not have to feel uncomfortable in their own homes, that they work hard to pay for and maintain. Unless you pay rent, pay for your own food and clothes and entertainment - you are a guest in their home. All the things you believe you own, are actually theirs, if they paid for them. They allow you to use them, nothing more.

You want to be an independant person? Do it. Move out, get a job, pay your own way through life. Take responsiblity for all of your actions, knowing no-one else is going to bail you out if it all goes belly-up. Don't take your parents hospitality for granted - one day that safety net will well and truly be gone, and your sense of entitlement will not shield you from failure, or disaster.

I remember well what it was like to be a teenager chafing under the rules of a parent, when I wanted to establish my own identity and autonomy. But it doesn't last forever - there's plenty of time afterwards to get into the world and be who you want to be. Learning to be patient is a valuable and nescessary skill - think of waiting for your own autonomy as a chance to practice that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

An admin note: Onyx, if you are going to continue to post here, you need to do more than post once or twice, sporadically, and then vanish again. Your posts have left many of us with questions for you, which you completely ignore, and we're fairly sick of it. If someone responds to one of your posts with questions, reply to them. Failure to reply could result in your removal from the Guild.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:00 am
I can't see the pictures on here. So I'll get my own.

http://fav.me/d1e9tcf
This is the traditionl Baphomet. It is Satanic. I'm not sure on the history, but I knoww it is dealing with Satanism.

http://fav.me/dpvobs
A pentagram is more of a protective circle. I'm not sure of the pentacle, but those two I know.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games