Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Waite

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm
See this dude?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
He's the co-creator of the Rider-Waite Tarot deck.
Arthur Edward Waite.
He also wrote The Book of Ceremonial Magic. Which was basically a condensed version of all the Grimoires.
Its very interesting. Many things Wiccans find taboo, apparently magicians don't. Such as harming people, or making people love you in one sort or another, and other things that are really... well lets say im not posting the link. There's an invisibility "experiment", and it tells that communicating with the dead hasn't been considered white magic for very long.
He wrote it in 1913.
So, who here knows about Grimoires?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 pm
Well, a lot of things like that witches "in general" don't find taboo either...  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 pm
=P i know, i said actual Wiccans. something about the something and the rede and what mess you know.
I don't find it taboo i find it interesting. Though it does tell how to summon Lucifer, that is a bit... idk.
Lots of information, it has nine chapters total with a lot of individual sections in it.
I haven't read much on Grimoires before I found it.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 pm
A grimoire's just a collection of spells and information, isn't it? How is grimoire defined?

I don't find ceremonialism interesting, myself, but it was all the rage back in Waite's day. Secret societies and so forth. It takes all sorts.

I don't know for Wiccans, though. I'm not sure what they consider taboo and what they don't. If anything.

I said about witches as you specified magicians and I wasn't quite sure what you were saying wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 pm
No. Traditionally, Magicians aren't witches. Magicians, Sorcerers, etc., you get my point? Shoot, I shouldn't be trying to explain this before I go to bed.
Apparently they made fun of witches because you couldn't see their magic.
Or some such.
I dunno. Give me a time machine. Or give me til morning to sleep and then go through my stuff and find what I'm looking for.

Blah. It's part of "The Old Laws"... its in my BOS.
'Remember the Art is the secret of the Gods and may only be used in earnest and never for show or vainglory. Magicians and Christians may taunt us, saying, "You have no power. Do magic before our eyes. Then only will we believe,"'
Magicians and witches didn't get along, me guesses.

Oh. Grimoires are kinda like BOS's, but in the case they're a collection of instructions of how to divine, gain magical powers, cast spells, invoke demons and angels, make elixirs, and make talismans, etc.
Basically magic books, whatever you want to call them.
It's intriguing.

Let me read this in the morning to see if it made sense at all.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 pm
I didn't say magicians were witches confused

I'm not sure I trust the online version of Gardner's laws, don't really see the relevance to non-Wiccan witches, and don't really get why you brought it up xd All I was saying that things magicians didn't find taboo witches didn't necessarily find taboo either. *shrug*

So "grimoire" and "book of shadows" can be used interchangably, then? How are they different? I know some trad witches prefer "grimoire" to "book of shadows". *shrug*  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:03 am
I certainly know Wiccans who use ceremonial magic. I don't personally have any taste for that style of practice, but it seems to suit others. Certainly Alex Sanders did.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I didn't say magicians were witches confused

I'm not sure I trust the online version of Gardner's laws, don't really see the relevance to non-Wiccan witches, and don't really get why you brought it up xd All I was saying that things magicians didn't find taboo witches didn't necessarily find taboo either. *shrug*

So "grimoire" and "book of shadows" can be used interchangably, then? How are they different? I know some trad witches prefer "grimoire" to "book of shadows". *shrug*

...i said i shouldnt be explaining stuff while i'm tired...
and no i said they're alike. not the same thing. but i be doin my research still. i dont know any witches around here that refer to their book as a Grimoire.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

i personally have a grimoire, not a bos. to me a grimoire is more of a go-to book for spells, charms, correspondences and what-not, where as a bos is more like a "magickal journal" and i'm horrible at keeping journals sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 pm
whiporwill-o
Sanguina Cruenta

i personally have a grimoire, not a bos. to me a grimoire is more of a go-to book for spells, charms, correspondences and what-not, where as a bos is more like a "magickal journal" and i'm horrible at keeping journals sweatdrop

see thats kinda what i meant.
but im out of meds. i cant think.
haha thanks for that.
most the witches around here keep the journal-type thing. i'm not saying i know about all of them, because they obviously do not all live in the kent-sussex area. but the ones i know, call them their bos. and they are older than me, some are getting up there, they definitely arent teens.

but anyways back to what i was originally talking about. the Grimoires... the most famous ones, not the ones individuals make and keep, or w/e, i dunno how to describe it... I think, the Grand Grimoire and the Black Pullet are the two most famous. and if I'm not mistaken, the title of the Black Pullet refers to the golden-egg laying hen. apparently the instructions on how to make a hen lay a golden egg are in that book. Grand Grimoire kinda speaks for itself.

i'm not an expert at the subject. never claimed to be. especially since i haven't been doing research lately, just reading that book. and besides xp its just a thread
i'm a person who's missing her neuro-problem-meds right now. i'm not good at explaining stuff right now, ok? the migraines make me confused. let me stick to the book for now, till i get them back.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games