Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Symbols and Signs, Symbols and Signs. Wood*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use symbols in your daily life?
  Yes.
  Not really.
  Sometimes.
View Results

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 am

Okay, This is a chance to just brush up on your symbols or have some fun with it, it's not really a big deal. =D
Okay, so here's the story:

A tree limb fell down in my yard {Big a** tree limb} and I was planning to make runes our of some carved pieces. But as I was carving the limb, I realized that there were several rune sets and I havn't fully figured out which one I would like or rather How to do some serious divination with the little beauties. Well, I made the adult descision to do some mega research on them and talk to some one who knows how to use them and save my idea for the next fallen tree.

So now I have all this wood and nothing to use it on.

After staring at it for at least 30 minutes {Had nothing better to do} I decided that I wanted to make a talisman or something I could use. But my knowlege on Symbols and Signs is limited, if not embarressing, and the last thing I need is the internet telling me that what they gave me is a sign of ultimate protection and power when what I really have is a love charm.

So my question is:

What are the signs you know, and what do they mean/do?
{I'm not looking for anything in particular, Just hoping to learn a few new things}

{Pictures would be nice :3}

Thank you, and I appreciate your time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 pm
i like the elder futhark runes, myself. i find it interesting that the peace sign is the rune for protection with a circle around it (if you flip it upsidedown) though i doubt that was the idea behind it as most people say that it is a "broken cross" but whatever *shrugs*

the reason why i prefer the elder futhark is because most other runes are just letters of the alphabet and have no special representation other than the letter it is assigned to. like the theban alphabet, or "witches' runes", is just an alphabet, as far as i know.  

whiporwill-o

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm
i love using the futhark runes. See here: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html
this site has pictures, and the generally accepted meanings of the runes. whiporwill-o is correct, futhark is an alphabet, although each rune also has a specific magickal meaning.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:45 pm
whiporwill-o
i like the elder futhark runes, myself. i find it interesting that the peace sign is the rune for protection with a circle around it (if you flip it upsidedown) though i doubt that was the idea behind it as most people say that it is a "broken cross" but whatever *shrugs*

The peace sign is actually from the semaphore for "nuclear disarmament" or similar. It's just a coincidence wink

The Runes are Mysteries and energies that are at once simple and enormously complex. They take a long time to understand and internalise. I recommend Paxson's "taking up the runes" as she mentions interpretations from a few different authors, which I think is rather beneficial.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:22 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
whiporwill-o

The peace sign is actually from the semaphore for "nuclear disarmament" or similar. It's just a coincidence wink

The Runes are Mysteries and energies that are at once simple and enormously complex. They take a long time to understand and internalise. I recommend Paxson's "taking up the runes" as she mentions interpretations from a few different authors, which I think is rather beneficial.

interesting, i never knew that. i guess it's true what they say: you learn something new everyday. (hehe, that rhymed) 3nodding  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games