Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wicca: Advice and Questions When Starting Out

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 am
I've had several PMs lately from people asking some basic questions about what to do when they are starting out, specifically...

* How did you first get involved with it?

* Where can the best (credible) information be found?

* Do you or have you ever belonged to a coven? And if so, what is the best way to go about it ? ( i heard that it can be somewhat difficult because they can be so selective)

* Are there any warnings or precautions you know of that go along with being a part of a coven?

Plus feel free to add any other tips your think someone who is just getting started might need to know (or you wish you had known when you were getting started).  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:45 am
* How did you first get involved with it?

I'd been interested for years (even as a child) in the idea of witchcraft and of things that were magical. When I was in college I took a class on religion, and for our final exam we had to "create" our own religion. Mine was a Goddess worshiping, earth based religion...what is so odd about that is that at the time, I actually had no idea that Wicca existed (or neo-paganism) or more specifically that anyone actually practiced those things as a religion. About 9 years later I met a friend, who turned out to be a practicing Witch and an active member of the Reclaiming community were we lived, and the rest is history!

* Where can the best (credible) information be found?

Here on Gaia (besides my little guild xd ) I recommend... Wicca FAQ - the OP is a bit cranky at times, but it's got good info in it.

Otherwise I suggest the following (there is a reading list in the Libarary subforum)...

Wicca For The Rest Of Us - their definition of Wicca is a bit wonky, but otherwise good info to start with.

TradWicca.org

Amber & Jet

Beginning Wicca

* Do you or have you ever belonged to a coven? And if so, what is the best way to go about it ? ( i heard that it can be somewhat difficult because they can be so selective)

I circled with a group many years ago, but for the most part have been solitary the last few years. The best ways to find a coven in your area is to check the Witchvox listings. Also if you are specifically interested in finding a lineaged coven (if your interest lies in BTW), then the Amber & Jet group (listed above) is your best bet. They have a separate "seekers list", that you can have your info added to and if there is a coven in your area that is interested (and taking on students) then they can help you get in touch with each other.

* Are there any warnings or precautions you know of that go along with being a part of a coven?

In theory a coven should be like your family, so I you are uncomfortable in any way, then you probably aren't in the right place. If you are looking for a lineaged coven, then obviously you are going to want to ask a lot of questions - such as what is your lineage? A lineaged coven should have no problem telling you their lineage, if they give you a run around about it (or try to claim that the info cannot be revealed) I'd start looking elsewhere. Vouches can sometimes also be obtained on the A&J list if necessary.

While there are sexual aspects to many of the Wiccan rituals/rites, it is not an excuse for mad orgies, and if you are getting that kind of vibe from a group - again...run as far as you can in the opposite direction.

If you simply looking for a neo-pagan/eclectic coven, then you are going to want to look for groups that you feel comfortable with, that you feel have a practice that suits you, people that you feel are knowledgeable in what they are doing. Initiations and/or training should not cost you anything. Anyone who tells you that you have to pay money to get these things should be avoided. Occasionally, there may be some fees associated with upkeep of the covenstead, or supply fees, but otherwise they should not be charging money.

* What I wish I had known.

That there is a difference between traditional Wicca and what most of the books out there call "wicca". It's not even that many of those books don't have great info, or that they don't describe perfectly valid paths - they just don't describe Wicca. It would have made my life a whole lot easier (and I'd probably already be an initiate if I'd known earlier gonk ).  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games