Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Tarot [Discussion] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Okay, so being that St. Patrick's Day is coming up, Barnes & Noble apparently decided it was okay to sell random Celtic things [which I enjoy, not mocking it, really], including a Celtic Tarot deck and booklet on how to read it. So I buy it, being that I love Celtic themes and I figured I might as well see what all the hullabaloo was about.

There's only three spreads listed in the book, which are: The Celtic Cross spread, the Alchemist's Spread [Nostradamus, or so it says], and the Druid's Star, which was created to complement the deck. So I did the Celtic Cross spread, didn't ask a question or anything, and it made SO MUCH SENSE it was freaky. It was pertaining to two aspects of a family emergency [my housing status and how it was to be resolved--and how failure was inevitable on Monday night!], and how I was afraid something life-changing [on my end anyway] would happen.

A few days or so later I did the Druid's Star, which was a spread used to determine the personality of someone. Once again, it matched up very nicely, even going so far as to say my hopes were very ambitious! [Which they are.]

Now it's just some silly kit bought at a book store designed to make money, but it just made way too much sense for me to take it that lightly right now. Any thoughts/experiences on tarot reading?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm
I read tarot ^_^ I recently got a new deck, the Bohemian Gothic deck. It very pretty. I also have the Witches' Tarot and the Druidcraft Tarot, and an oracle deck called Wolfsong.

It can take a while to get the hang of a new deck, for it to speak to you etc. Some decks are easier to work with than others, and it's best to buy one in person rather than online, because it'll be easier to work with if it "calls" to you. If it doesn't, it may be difficult to work with, and you may end up selling it or giving it away because you just can't get it to work with you.

I got my Bohemian deck from Amazon and wasn't expecting it to work with me well to start off with but it seems to be doing so, so either it's an easy deck to work with, or I got lucky wink possibly both. Still need more practise, though; I haven't used a proper spread with it yet, only simple three-card draws.

If you're new to the tarot, Nicolette: most decks will come with a little booklet. It's referred to as a little white book (LWB). They're great to have, because even if you have a general book on the tarot, different decks really do read in different ways, so those LWBs are necessary with most decks.

I'm a big fan of the Aeclectic Tarot website.
Is your deck listed there at all? I'm interested in having a look ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:21 pm
Yep! I found it: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic/

And when I say freaky, I don't mean in a bad way. I find it extraordinary that I should get such results and on my first time! It's also caused some great confusion, since I've come to taking everything as a sign/symbol of something. My family crisis appears to have happened around the time I began actually muttering prayers to the pagan gods, and I don't know if that means I'm worshiping the wrong gods, or if it's a test of faith [one of the cards' interpretations did say "loss of faith"], or what. It's probably just my worrying nature, but.. Well, being that divination worked, I think I can safely say the Christian God isn't trying to call to me or anything.

But I love this deck for the images on it; and apparently the Pentacle suit has been changed to Coins, and it features Celtic knotwork, a recent favorite of mine. <3

And ah, I see, as I was browsing Stephanie Law's art site and looking at her tarot deck; descriptions for 'The World' card vary enough. Anyway I have to sleep. @__@

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 pm
Oh, I know you didn't mean in a bad way wink It's an interesting looking deck. Seems familiar somehow.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Radioactive Freezer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:28 am
Last year around this time I bought myself a new Tarot deck from Book-a-million that has over five spreads. The only one I find that works more accurately is the Celtic Cross. All the other spreads just don't make sense to me. I think I need to practice more with those spreads...but remembering all the cards and their meaning is just as hard as remembering where/how to place the card.

But my first Tarot deck was one that had faeries on it. It was weird because there was a pregnancy card. sweatdrop

Question, is it alright to have just one deck for you to read others and vice versa or should there be more than one Tarot deck laying around the house just for others to read you?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 am
Yup.
I have one deck I use for my own readings (Fenestra Tarot), and another deck I use to give other people readings (Gilded Tarot). I had tried to use the personal-readings deck to read for other people, but it was not very happy about it and was kind of mean sweatdrop .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:29 pm
I own several decks. I began learning to read when I was 15, and I'm still at it. I tend to read for others using either Robin Wood or the Crow's Magick deck.

I learned to read on the Aquarian Tarot, which I was fond of, but gave to a friend who also reads. I guess it didn't like that, because it left him fairly quickly. Eh. I owned the Dragon Tarot (this one) for a while, but I didn't really grok it. It got bartered away for something else a few years ago. My husband owns a Rider-Waite deck, but it absolutely hates me. I get nothing but gibberish out of it.

I have the Druid Animal Oracle which I quite like, despite the name, for pathworking - I often use the cards as focal points on shrines or use them in animal-related magic. They don't read overly well, and the book that came with them is pretty much junk-food reading, but they're ok for daily single-card draws. I have another oracle deck that I use strictly for consulting the Gods when contemplating my path.

And I also learned to read with a normal deck of playing cards, which I haven't done in a dog's age.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 pm
i've owned 2 decks in my life, the first one i don't even remember what it was called, it hated me with a passion, it seemed, so i gave it to a friend who was just starting out. my second deck (and favoritest of all that i've ever seen) is the mythic tarot. it uses the greek dieties and legends as the basis of it's arcanas, and the greek dieties are the ones i assocciate with the most. the funny thing is my mom has the same deck! she ordered hers online, but i think i found it at barnes and noble, lol.  

whiporwill-o

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:35 pm
My first deck was a rider-waite deck, that someone threw out when i moved back into my moms house. i also had a rider-waite mini deck four years ago but i lost cards to that really quick after i got it. Right now i have a Ukiyoe deck. It's very lovely art.
I do readings all the time, the most recent was for all this stimulus stuff. It was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm
I feel like such a slacker; I NEVER do readings sweatdrop . There's never anyone around here who wants/asks for them.
I'm afraid by the time I go to do a reading again, my deck(s) won't be attuned/charged for me anymore.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 pm
How often should one try to do readings, on average, to keep their deck's power attuned to them, then? I was afraid the spreads would lack significance if you read them, say, every day for the same person or something.

Also, if a LWB doesn't include this or that spread for the deck, would it be inappropriate to use a spread found elsewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm
I've heard you shouldn't read for yourself anymore than once a week...but that's just what I've heard *shrug* Makes sense to me; I mean, you shouldn't have to be asking your cards everyday for insight...although there are some folks who I think draw one card at the beginning of their day to have something to meditate on/consider for the day.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:42 am
The only thing I've heard is you shouldn't ask the same question more than once every 24 hours. And because the answer to a question can change within 24 hours, it could turn out different. But I don't really ask too much.
I dunno. I just do what I want, usually. I don't do a lot of readings for myself, just a few every now and then.
My little sister has me do some for her sometimes, but since she's so little she doesn't really understand it. I mostly do readings about situations in the world, and about other people.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:28 pm
I have The Fairy Oracle Cards. I have found them to be on target every time. I usually do the one card draw everyday for myself and close friends. On occasion I will do multiple cards, but usually they are not needed unless someone needs answers about their past/present/future. I have used other decks in the past but I never felt comfortable using them.  

Angelbaby In Love

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:29 pm
I just got my first deck, a Raider-Waite deck. I haven't done any reading yet. I plan on cleansing it on Friday, then I'll start doing very simple readings for myself. I'm still learning all the cards so I don't want to do any for other people yet.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games