• Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:57 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090315/ap_on_re_us/miami_killings

If it bleeds, it leads.

Family murder/suicide.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:48 pm
There is a psychological aspect to it. Much like school shootings, the media can cause a trigger. It's said that one attempted, or maybe sucessful, school shooter had several tapes of coverage of the Columbine killings, as well as the National Geographic with them on the cover. It was a copycat crime. When they give someone front-page and leading news story coverage constantly, that gives the psychotically unbalanced people an idea to be known, by committing the same or similar crime. THey see these people become famous for their deeds, and so they attempt to become famous themselves? Who doesn't know the name Cho? Or Harris and Klebold? (probably misspelled that, though). A fair part of stopping crimes like this is to stop publicizing them like mad.  

uryu ishida

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:58 pm
uryu ishida
There is a psychological aspect to it. Much like school shootings, the media can cause a trigger. It's said that one attempted, or maybe sucessful, school shooter had several tapes of coverage of the Columbine killings, as well as the National Geographic with them on the cover. It was a copycat crime. When they give someone front-page and leading news story coverage constantly, that gives the psychotically unbalanced people an idea to be known, by committing the same or similar crime. THey see these people become famous for their deeds, and so they attempt to become famous themselves? Who doesn't know the name Cho? Or Harris and Klebold? (probably misspelled that, though). A fair part of stopping crimes like this is to stop publicizing them like mad.
When I started researching Columbine my sister was afraid I would try to copy them. If I were to try a massacre like that the only reason I would research other massacres would be to observe what went wrong and could probably been improved so I can get the new high score. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:13 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
uryu ishida
When I started researching Columbine my sister was afraid I would try to copy them. If I were to try a massacre like that the only reason I would research other massacres would be to observe what went wrong and could probably been improved so I can get the new high score. biggrin
LOL goinf agter the golden iPod rommel?  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 am
Yeah, too bad Bud Dwyer didn't get rock star famous instead of all those psycho buttholes.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:49 am
OberFeldwebel
Yeah, too bad Bud Dwyer didn't get rock star famous instead of all those psycho buttholes.
rofl

No, Budd didn't kill anybody but himself. Nobody cares about a suicide. Images of that suicide shown live and unedited to children off school on a snow day, though...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:55 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
rofl

No, Budd didn't kill anybody but himself. Nobody cares about a suicide. Images of that suicide shown live and unedited to children off school on a snow day, though...

Exactly my point.
If Budd had made the news for months on end you'd probably be hearing of more psychos offing themselves rather than killing people.

Yeah it's sad that when someone does the right thing they don't get a headline for long if at all.

He didn't just go and off himself, he admitted to his deeds and then did it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:36 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
rofl

Exactly my point.
If Budd had made the news for months on end you'd probably be hearing of more psychos offing themselves rather than killing people.

Yeah it's sad that when someone does the right thing they don't get a headline for long if at all.

AFAIK, he admitted nothing. He said "I'm innocent and you all know it, but I'm being framed here and there's no way they're going to do the right thing and let me off."  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 pm
Wasn't the whole Bud Dwyer thing back in the 80's? Suicide on live TV is a big thing, but if it happened 20 years ago chances are nobody will care that much anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Wasn't the whole Bud Dwyer thing back in the 80's? Suicide on live TV is a big thing, but if it happened 20 years ago chances are nobody will care that much anymore.
January '87. Older than me. Guess you have a point there.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

chimpinator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:16 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
January '87. Older than me. Guess you have a point there.
I imagine if Clinton did that in a press conference after the whole scandal that would have been pretty big too.

Dude I just thought of something. That would be badass if that's how Obama went out.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 pm
Saw a report that a member of the Houston Rockets basketball team was shot in the leg today.

Carl Landry shot in leg  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
rofl

Exactly my point.

AFAIK, he admitted nothing. He said "I'm innocent and you all know it, but I'm being framed here and there's no way they're going to do the right thing and let me off."

Oh, I thought he admitted to it.

Yeah, you're right.

Was it ever found out if he was really innocent?

About Carl:
I'm pretty sure it was just to wound him so that he can't play.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 pm
The more i read stories like this, the more i wanna get my concealed weapons permit  

Anima_Raptor

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:09 pm
Anima_Raptor
The more i read stories like this, the more i wanna get my concealed weapons permit

I would already have had mine, but my job was over in Wisconsin where they don't allow Conceal and Carry.
But now I'm out, and out of a job :/ so the next job should be in Minnesota.

The other bite in the a** is the college whose administration lives in a god damn fantasy world.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games