Thanksgiving (Eat all you can!)
  New Year's
  Easter
  St. Patrick's Day
  Other
View Results

NoBoundariesMule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 am
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy St. Patrick's Day.

User Image

Irish Blessing

“May you always have...
Walls for the winds, A roof for the rain
Tea beside the fire, Laughter to cheer you
Those you love near you
And all your heart might desire.”

Random St.Patrick's Day Facts

1.The actual color of St. Patrick is blue. Green became associated with St. Patrick's Day during the 19th century. Green, in Irish legends, was worn by fairies and immortals, and also by people to encourage their crops to grow.

2.The first organized St. Patrick's Day Parade was held in New York in 1762. The parade consisted of Irish soldiers serving in the English military, the parade helped them reconnect with their Irish roots.

3.There are more Americans of Irish origin than there are Irish in Ireland. In Delaware, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire Irish is the leading ancestral group.

4.St. Patrick's Day got its American start in 1737 in Boston. We celebrate St. Patrick's Day to remember the achievements St. Patrick made during his time.

5.St. Patrick's given name was Maewyn Succat and he was born in Britain around 385 AD. At age 16 he was kidnapped by pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. During his 6 years as a slave he turned to religion for solace. He escaped slavery and made his way to Gaul where he changed his name to Patrick and studied in the monastery under St. Germain.

6.St. Patrick converted pagans to Christianity, angering the Celtic Druids who threw him in prison many time as a result.

7.It is believed that St. Patrick died on March 17th, the day that we now celebrate St. Patrick's Day. March 17th is also feast day in Ireland.

8.St. Patrick's celebrations were originally religious festivals; up until the 1970s Irish law mandated that pubs be closed on St. Patrick's Day. In 1995 the Irish government used St. Patrick's day to drive tourism to Ireland.

9.Often heard on St. Patrick's Day is the phrase "Erin Go Braugh". This phrase means "Ireland Forever".

10.Shamrocks are the national flower of Ireland and are picked on St. Patrick's Day and worn on the shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 am
Haha! I was trying to figure out what the funny symbol was between all the words, but looking again... it's a funny shaped & isn't it?

Oh yea, and happy st patrick's day?

I was one of the ones who always got pinched >.<  

SeraphimDoll

8,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

NoBoundariesMule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 am
haha, Yeah. I was trying to figure it out too when i found it.
Non Green wearer shame. =]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 am
-cry- but I'm not a huge green fan! Growing up, I didn't actually own green clothing, so I never had green on St Patty's day.

Why in the world did people start deciding they should pinch non-green wearing anyways?  

SeraphimDoll

8,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Ex Ciel

Supreme Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 am
Yus, no green here either~

*Receives one-thousand pinches*

OMG HALP ME  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am
Pinching those not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day is an American tradition, having really nothing to do with Ireland or St. Patrick. It's thought that the pinching started in the early 1700s, about the time that awareness of St. Patrick's as a holiday came to the fore, too, in Boston, in the Massachusetts colony. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns, which was good because they would pinch anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns.  

NoBoundariesMule

SeraphimDoll

8,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 am
xDarkxVampirex
Pinching those not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day is an American tradition, having really nothing to do with Ireland or St. Patrick. It's thought that the pinching started in the early 1700s, about the time that awareness of St. Patrick's as a holiday came to the fore, too, in Boston, in the Massachusetts colony. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns, which was good because they would pinch anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns.

History is fascinating! Thanks for finding that, it's an interesting tidbit to know smile

Those durn leprechauns....  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am
we sont celebrate st patricks day in sweden sad  

Naidono

NoBoundariesMule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am
Ah, Well I'm sorry. But that's okay.=]  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:18 pm
User Image

NoBoundariesMule

ArcticWolf - Kiba
Crew