Submit

Well?
  You're an idiot
View Results

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 am
I had an idea. How many times have you been shooting a .22, and you get a dud. You throw it back in the gun, and the round fires because the firing pin hit a different part of the rim? Happens to me all the time. So I was thinking... maybe someone should make a .22 with a multi-pronged firing pin. Something kind of like an AR-15 sight tool, except with slightly longer prongs. As I see it, this would strike more than one spot on the rim, so that if any one of them had no primer in it, the other three would. In my experience, something like this would reduce the number of misfires in a .22 by 90% at least. So... what do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:01 pm
It sounds like a good idea. I get alot of dud .22's that fire once I put 'em back through. It's a pain really.  

Krilliad

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 pm
I guess it could work. It would have to be pretty small though, unless you have a big firing pin in a brand new model gun. (I guess you already said that part though) But yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 pm
Huh, seems like a good idea.

I wonder how that would work IRL.
Would it gum up faster? Or is this a million dollar firing pin idea that you should patent now and sell... later.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 am
OberFeldwebel
Huh, seems like a good idea.

I wonder how that would work IRL.
Would it gum up faster? Or is this a million dollar firing pin idea that you should patent now and sell... later.
The only things I'm worried about are the workings gumming up faster and jamming more often, and the multiple points of impact supercharging the round somehow. I'm not even sure if that's POSSIBLE, but it might be.

And it'd be pretty pointless to patent. If it works and I patent a four-pin model, someone will make a three-pin model or a five-pin model or find some other stupid way to circumvent the patent, making it pretty pointless. I'm certain I'd never see a penny of it. I'd rather just give it to someone and get a pat on the head and a "good going, kid."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:51 am
or just say "multiple point firing pin" or something like  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:32 am
Man of the Demoneye
or just say "multiple point firing pin" or something like
I like the cut of your jib. I hope a schematic isn't REQUIRED, though. Or if it is, if I can make the patent broader than the drawing, because then it would have to be weapon-specific as well.

EDIT: Jesus ******** christ, a patent costs ~$500 to get filed, and another thousand to be issued if accepted. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:49 am
Argh! that sucks!
gonk  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:29 am
OberFeldwebel
Argh! that sucks!
gonk
Yeah, their "affordable" version is $500 to file and $1000 to patent. The "normal" version is $600 to file and $1000 to patent. PERSPECTIVE, ********.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm
I'm not sure about a schematic, but I don't think you can just patent a broad category kind of thing,.  

Krilliad

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff