Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Trench Coat Fabric Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Okay, I've got a friend in Missouri that's good at sewing stuff. She does requests for things like costumes for cosplays and stuff like that, but I'm getting her to make a custom trench coat for me. Problem is, I don't know what it should be made of exactly. Some kind of weather-treated fabric, but I've had little luck finding anything suitable online. It would have to be water-proof or water-resistant and fairly tough. Quiet when rubbed together is a plus. Cheap is a big plus. I have no idea why any of you guys would know where to find something like this, but I figure, hey, why not ask?

Color should be cloud gray or dark gray or gun-metal gray or some variation of that. I would settle for a lighter gray, but not black.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I live in Louisiana, so nothing really hot.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 pm

velvet,
red velvet

Xarich

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Perhaps cotton duck, treated with linseed oil? You'd have to dye it, as duck is generally a natural-cotton cream color, or maybe you can buy it pre-dyed, I dunno. Either way, I think that cotton duck treated with linseed oil would be perfectly waterproof, lightweight, and snappy-looking. And cotton duck was what the army used to use for rugged s**t before Cordura was invented (like WW2), so it's gotta be tough.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:12 pm

The one I picked up from a secondhand shop is 100% cotton. It is treated with something to make it water resistant.

Could canvas work at all?

Man of the Demoneye

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Man of the Demoneye
The one I picked up from a secondhand shop is 100% cotton. It is treated with something to make it water resistant.

Canvas could work, but wouldn't that be a hotter material?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:26 pm

OberFeldwebel
Man of the Demoneye

Canvas is cheap too. Can't you buy old canvas tarps? Just use one or two of those for material...

Oh boy, and you can get them in FIRE RETARDANT. That sounds like all KINDS of awesome s**t.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Man of the Demoneye

Canvas is cheap too. Can't you buy old canvas tarps? Just use one or two of those for material...

Oh boy, and you can get them in FIRE RETARDANT. That sounds like all KINDS of awesome s**t.
Keeps ya dry, keeps ya from burnin alive. Get your canvas trench coat today!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:08 am

Wool is naturally flame retardant.
It doesn't burn like cotton or other cloth materials, it smolders.

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 am

OberFeldwebel
Wool is naturally flame retardant.
It doesn't burn like cotton or other cloth materials, it smolders.
Unfortunately, wool is really hot.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:10 am

I have a German rain trench (Sportsman's Guide, $15 for three) made of canvas and it's a bit hot and the material makes noise when rubbed together.

I liked the idea of cotton treated with something to be weather resistant, but I haven't actually seen any of the right material for sale online to use.

I considered wool since I don't want to live in crappy Louisiana forever (or even much longer...) but I am here now...

ArmasTermin

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm sure the cotton can be treated to be fire retardant as well. biggrin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel

My jacket I use for welding is treated and I haven't caught fire yet. So unless you are going to do something incredibly stupid, it should work just fine.

Wait, you never said anything about flame retardant in the first place, so cotton should be just fine. Not as waterproof like a raincoat, but works for walking across the parking lot.

Last stupid idea (maybe): How would a coat made of deer skin with the fur still on look? Maybe make the buttons out of bones too? Hey, I would use almost the whole thing this way! Only 2 problems: 1) kill a couple deer. 2) figure out how to prepare the hide.

Man of the Demoneye

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Man of the Demoneye
Desert_Fox_Rommel

My jacket I use for welding is treated and I haven't caught fire yet. So unless you are going to do something incredibly stupid, it should work just fine.

Wait, you never said anything about flame retardant in the first place, so cotton should be just fine. Not as waterproof like a raincoat, but works for walking across the parking lot.

Last stupid idea (maybe): How would a coat made of deer skin with the fur still on look? Maybe make the buttons out of bones too? Hey, I would use almost the whole thing this way! Only 2 problems: 1) kill a couple deer. 2) figure out how to prepare the hide.

Lol, glad someone realized this. I suppose being fire retardant would be a pluss, but so would being bulletproof. Doesn't mean I actually need either.

A deerskin, fur-lined trench coat with bone buttons. I don't know if that would be a pimp coat or a woodsman's coat for Alsaskan woodlands.

I'm this close to just telling her to use regular cotton. It shouldn't be so hard to find weather treated fabric online. I mean it's the Internet. You can find anything there!

EDIT: What about Goretex or Ultrex? I'm finding things like that here ( http://www.seattlefabrics.com/outerwear.html ) but are fairly expensive at $20 a yard.

EDIT Again: Avast, it's all in primary colors. No gray to be seen...

EDIT Three!:

What about "WeatherMax 65"? It's reported as:

"This 100% solution dyed polyester incorporates UV resistant characteristics for long-term color and strength retention along with excellent breathablity and abrasion resistance. The HydroMAX finish raises the bar of hydrostatic performance and delivers unsurpassed water repellency, mildew and oil resistance without relying on environmentally unfriendly coating compounds. WeatherMAX 65 has anti-microbial properties and a minimum UV resistance of 1000 hours but only weighs 6.5 oz./sq. yard due to the use of a filament rather than a spun yarn like acrylic fabrics. Excellent for anything from horse blankets to tough outerwear to marine grade tarps."

Unsurpassed water repellancy, excellent breathability, abrasion resistence? And it's available in charcoal gray at $13 a yard.

Does it seem like it would be shiny? I want a more subdued, sophisticated look like a classic trench.

EDIT... Again:
DWR Supplex?

"100% nylon tightly woven fabric made from a very fine filament. It has a durable water-resistant (DWR) finish to repel rain. It has wicking capabilities to keep you cool in the summer. This fabric travels well and is excellent for all outerwear projects. This state of the art fabric is wind and water resistant. The stout weave of this versatile fabric makes it useful for anything from skiwear and windshirts to hiking and surfing shorts."

Cheaper than the WeatherMAX, but not by a lot. I don't know which would be better.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Go with kevlar then. It's fire retardant AND bullet resistant. biggrin

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel
Go with kevlar then. It's fire retardant AND bullet resistant. biggrin
You know, when my current hoodie finally dies, I'm buying a Kevlar-lined one. Dunno why, I just like the shade of brown and the fact that I can't be slashed. Freddy Krueger, do your worst.
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff