Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Witchcraft and naming one's spiritual path Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 am
I'm kinda bored, and thinking we can stir up a bit more discussion here ^_^ Not that the guild is too quiet, I'm just in the mood for some random discussion.

Is there anyone here who refers to their religious path as "witchcraft", or defines themselves religiously as a "witch"?

Is there anyone here (maybe someone who doesn't consider themselves religious, or who has a developed spirituality that encompasses quite a bit outside their religion... if that made sense...) who refers to their spiritual path as "witchcraft"?

Why do you use/prefer this word?
Have you chosen the term after a while of considering different ones, and decided it was the most accurate, or is it more of a placeholder?

As an extension of this topic: to what degree is witchcraft a spiritual path more than simply a "craft"? I don't mean in the sort of way that it wouldn't work with particular religions, I mean more the particular spirituality of the individual.

I don't mean for this to be a serious sort of debate, it's just something I'm musing over, and I thought I'd see what sort of ideas others might be able to throw into the ring.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:25 am
i do call myself a witch, but not in a religious sense. i believe that witchcraft is a craft, just as painting or jewelry making, you have to practice and work with it to be good at it. it's something you have to learn to do well, and there is indeed alot to learn about it. 3nodding

the only time i lump witchcraft and religion together is when i ask the deities for assistance with a spell.  

whiporwill-o

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Is there anyone here who refers to their religious path as "witchcraft", or defines themselves religiously as a "witch"?

Sort of. sweatdrop For the most part I am more likely to call myself a witch, than use any other specific term to describe my path.

Quote:
Why do you use/prefer this word?
Have you chosen the term after a while of considering different ones, and decided it was the most accurate, or is it more of a placeholder?

Well...I'd prefer to be able to call myself Wiccan, but until that becomes possible (if it ever does), witch serves well enough in the meantime. Though it's not a completely accurate description, neither is simply calling myself a pagan.

Quote:
As an extension of this topic: to what degree is witchcraft a spiritual path more than simply a "craft"? I don't mean in the sort of way that it wouldn't work with particular religions, I mean more the particular spirituality of the individual.

While I recognize that for others it could literally just be a practice completely separated from any spiritual connections. In my own practice it has spiritual connotations, the connections to the energies, deities, elements make the witchcraft itself that much more powerful to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:06 am
I mean... words describe our practices rather than defining them, for the most part, but in some sense finding the right words to describe who you are or what you do can be a great help. Some will argue that doing so limits one, but I disagree. You don't pick up terms in order to confine yourself to them (although admittedly this can and does happen, sometimes subconsciously).

Rather, it can be like sketching out the edges of what one oneself chooses, interprets or understands the outlines of their path to be. Finding the right word, rather than limiting one, can give one some sense of more solid footing, a better idea of the path you follow. Not in the sense of, say, finding a term and following that sort of path, but finding the word that clicks and matches what you're already doing, and in doing that, brings into the light elements that may have been foggy.

I don't mean the right word to use to describe it to others; after all, "witch" can be so many things, so many different paths and people. I mean in the sense of describing it to oneself, and what "witch" means on a very personal sort of level. In that way my witchcraft might be very different to your own - not simply the way I practise vs the way you practise, but the way I define that concept in myself.

This is me musing and getting all pseudo-philosophical. Yes, it has been that sort of evening.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I
I don't mean the right word to use to describe it to others; after all, "witch" can be so many things, so many different paths and people. I mean in the sense of describing it to oneself, and what "witch" means on a very personal sort of level. In that way my witchcraft might be very different to your own - not simply the way I practise vs the way you practise, but the way I define that concept in myself.

That's an interesting distinction to make. I almost replied to this topic earlier, but at the time I couldn't wrap my head around it. Putting it this way is helpful. There's internalized meanings of words (self-described meaning) and externalized meanings of words (what the word means to person or group "X"). The principle purpose of language is to communicate, and yet there is often a disjunction between an individuals internal meaning of a word and how it is read by some external agency. The smart solution to that is simply active listening; ask questions, get clarification. Often we don't do that though; we just make assumptions about what someone else means (largely because we sort of have to, right?).

Whether we like it or not, many words within Neopaganism are of the ambiguous sort. People whine about various meanings as people's various internal definitions clash. In bickering about choice of words, I often see the critic state they don't mean to imply that person's path is invalid. Regardless of intentions, that's how it comes off because the person's internal definition is personal and does define their path; rejecting the label becomes equivalent to rejecting their path as invalid.

Maybe some of it goes back to how people look at the words; as you said Sanguina, to some words are more of a superficiality; a label - it doesn't describe the practice's depth. Gosh, I believe there's a whole field of that studies the meanings of words and word webs and all that. I can't remember what it's called right now. I remember there being some discussion about it in "Postmodern Magic" though...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm
You know, I've been wondering alot about what my path is called since this post was created..

..And quite frankly.. I don't know.

I would like to follow a certian path that welcomed my beliefs, But I just haven't found it yet. I personally like everyone's paths and have welcomed many of their ideas and practices into my own path without even realizing it.

I just don't know what I am and it's hard for me. I see all types of pagan's refer to themselves from their paths, But I truelly don't have anything to really cling to. I feel sort of lost at times because of this..

I guess the only titles I can claim to are:

Pagan/Witch/Solitary

I can call myself Pagan because it's the umbrella term for my beliefs and Solitary because.. lol, let's face it. I'm pretty much alone on this one xD

Um.. But Witch..

It doesn't bother me, I always just assumed it was someone who practiced witchcraft and I have no right to tell someone I'm not when I know it's what I do. Though, I do try to stay away from that term when around certian people if I can avoid it.

So, I guess to answer your question;

I will allow "Witch" until I can accurately define myself to other, Though I refer to my religious path as "Pagan"

I know that I can never fully get rid of that term because I practice it and feel that it works from time to time rather then going on a full rampage of explaining my path when "Witch" can shut them up faster.

Well, There is a point that people cross that can make it a spiritual experiance and I do feel that I have crossed that line. I feel the connection between the flesh and spirit and work with the deities to help many of my spells that turn out to be more energy work then anything. It's not just a practice to me anymore, it is part of my religion.

Namikikyo

raging-earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:03 am
♪♪ boycott love...

I don't generally call myself a witch, I usually just say Pagan and that goes for my spiritual path as well. I view witchcraft as the activities that I participate in within my path, but not the path itself. When asked if I'm a witch, I'll say I am, but it's not something that I actively call myself. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure as to why. I just prefer to be called a Pagan.

...detox just to retox ♫♫

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 am
I actively practivce witchcraft, thus I am a witch.
The only titles I claim are witch and pagan, pagan being preferred one. [You can't really say in most public places 'Hey i'm a witch!' without starting something.]
=] I see witchcraft as... a craft/lifestyle.  

Ellisari

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:17 am
iChibi-Panda

Most people do, and it is. That's really why I asked the question; there are a few people who define their spiritual or religious path as "witchcraft" primarily, and that interests me.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 am
Sanguina Cruenta
iChibi-Panda

Most people do, and it is. That's really why I asked the question; there are a few people who define their spiritual or religious path as "witchcraft" primarily, and that interests me.

I can view see it as a spiritual path, witchcraft for me includes some vague ideas and beliefs I follow, and it does shape my life a lot spiritually, but I don't view it as a religion.
[Although in Starhawk's book the Spiral Dance she portrays Witchcraft as a religion, if it fascinates you a lot, give it a read [if you havent already], its very good, and has some interesting ideas in it]  

Ellisari

Wicca Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:45 pm
Witchcraft, to me, isn't a religion. I am a witch, i am pagan/wiccan. But witchcraft to me, is a practice of religion, but at a more personal level, meaning it cancels the word religion.

I am spiritual too and i consider it to be witchcraft because you are tuning your body to the nature and the spirits that surround us all.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm
-Muses a little-

Well, I don't call my path Witchcraft. I call myself a Seeker.

In my eyes, you can't be a "witch" or adhere to "witchcraft" as a faith. Witch is a description. Not all pagans/Wiccans are witches, it's just another description to add to their religious practice.  

o sunflower king

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 pm
Actually, all Wiccans are witches. Witchcraft is part and parcel of Wicca, and all Wiccans become "Witch and Priest/ess" at initiation.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 pm
Right now, I'm simply pagan, and I practice witchcraft along with it.
Witchcraft has been in my life a while.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games