Reply Adult Furries Guild
Book Recommendations Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:12 pm
I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations? I don't care what genre it is, I'm just looking for something interesting to read.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 pm
Anything written by Neil Gaiman  

Af Mas

Rastiel

5,050 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 pm
I've really been into Terry Pratchett lately. There are lots of different characters and lots of different plot lines. Personally, I like the Witches of Lancre stories, which are Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, and Carpe Jugulum. There's also a short story Pratchett wrote about them, called The Sea and Little Fishes. Here's a link to it online: http://www.esnips.com/doc/4c7c2b41-c240-4e07-97fd-3b447f0ab764/The-Sea-And-Little-Fishes  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 pm
You know what? How about we combine the two authers we suggest and recommend one good book? Here's one: Good Omens by Terry Prachett AND Neil Gaiman XD  

Af Mas

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:51 pm
I'm a big Dragonlance fan. If you're not familiar with the series, I'd recommend the first trilogy, "Dragons of Autumn Twilight", "Dragons of Winter Night", and "Dragons of Spring Dawning". If you're already familiar with the series, I'd recommend "The Soulforge", the back-story of arguably the most popular DL character ever.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm
Dragonlance is pretty good too, though I know a lot of people who criticize it as being not a high reading level. Apparently, middle school was the time to read Dragonlance XP I don't care, I love it. You are talking about Raistlin, right Sune?  

Af Mas

Barakiel9909

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 pm
Af Mas

Seconded. Especially the Sandman series, if you can get past the fact that they're comic books... Anansi Boys was another of his better works which is an actual novel.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29 pm
Dragonriders of Pern and The Tower and the Hive series by Anne McCaffrey  

Kakarotto-san

Dangerous Duck

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 am
Af Mas
Dragonlance is pretty good too, though I know a lot of people who criticize it as being not a high reading level. Apparently, middle school was the time to read Dragonlance XP I don't care, I love it. You are talking about Raistlin, right Sune?

I'll admit, there are probably books that have a higher reading level, but Dragonlance hold s a special place in my heart. My best childhood friend introduced me to the series when we were both in elementary school; she had almost every book in the series (at the time) lined up on little shelves in her closet. We'd spend hours in her room devouring them. <3

I am. He's my favorite. Such a fascinating character! X3 <33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 am
I, too, recommend Terry Pratchet.

I highly recommend his "Nightwatch" series.  

Zanzibar

Refia Hinotori

Mega Man-Lover

15,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:20 am
I've been reading books by David Clement-Davies and Micheal Crichton.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:07 pm
Barakiel9909
Af Mas

Seconded. Especially the Sandman series, if you can get past the fact that they're comic books... Anansi Boys was another of his better works which is an actual novel.
Thirded. He is an amazing writer, I'd recommend him to anyone. Go for his short stories in Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors if you like something a little darker. Stardust is one of my favorite books, the movie that's based on it doesn't do it justice. And I love Neverwhere!

For other authors, I enjoy David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey and Raymond E. Feist for fantasy and Philippa Gregory for historical fiction. She writes great books about Henry VIII's wives if you're into that kind of thing.  

LilKitty115

Barakiel9909

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm
LilKitty115
Barakiel9909
Af Mas

Thirded. He is an amazing writer, I'd recommend him to anyone. Go for his short stories in Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors if you like something a little darker. Stardust is one of my favorite books, the movie that's based on it doesn't do it justice. And I love Neverwhere!

For other authors, I enjoy David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey and Raymond E. Feist for fantasy and Philippa Gregory for historical fiction. She writes great books about Henry VIII's wives if you're into that kind of thing.

If I remember correctly, I was really disappointed with Fragile Things. I read Smoke and Mirrors and loved it, so I picked up Fragile Things (once I finally found a copy), but it just...I dunno...I read a handful of the stories, but just couldn't get into a lot of them... And I'm a proud owner of a pre-movie version of Stardust, without those crappy screenshots added in once the movie came out...

But Brandon Sanderson's Elantris was amazing for a first novel, so I recommend that. Also, Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series has some interesting ideas on good and evil, and has a wonderful movie version out.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm
Proto Ark
I've been reading books by David Clement-Davies and Micheal Crichton.

Crichton is good, I got The Sphere and The Andromeda Strain. Dean Koontz is good, he's like stephen king, but Dean Koontz doesnt take 3 pages to describe what a table looks like. Im currently waiting on his third Frankenstien book, (look up the details, I know some chick wrote it originally). He's got some pretty good sci-fi, if you like Aliens, read Taken, and if you like ghosts and stuff read the Odd Thomas books. And for a story about a genetically engineered doggie named (Einstein) who brings a guy and a girl together, (not as sappy as it sounds) Watchers is good. Or if you like dark ironic humor, TickTock is good, its all cool cuz it has a monster and the ending is hilarious. Velocity is another good one if you like murder stuff.

OH!!! if you like suspense, Icebound is a good book.

All those books besides The Sphere and The Andromeda Strain, are written by Dean Koontz  

Kurick-teh-dude

Manda_Tifa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 pm
Af Mas
You know what? How about we combine the two authers we suggest and recommend one good book? Here's one: Good Omens by Terry Prachett AND Neil Gaiman XD
AWESOME book.

I'm currently reading a book called "The Carpet Makers" by Andreas Eschbach, and I really like it so far. Easy-to-understand sci-fi.

Also, because I'm biased, you should go to Amazon.com and look for anything by Michael W. Graves (except for the textbooks...those might bore you...unless you wanna learn about computer stuff). He writes short fiction novels that are great for a quick read. 3nodding  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff