Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Computer viruses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm
So, what's the big deal about computer viruses, anyway? I've only ever gotten one that I recall, and it didn't really do anything except waste 5 minutes of my time deleting it manually. On top of that, for the past 6 months I have had no antivirus or firewall and still haven't gotten any at all in that time period. Tracking cookies, yes, but those are easily taken care of and merely a nuisance.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:50 pm
Put yourself into the role of a 45 year old computer illiterate with a 14 year old son. Your "computer savvy" friends told you not to buy norton antivirus from the dumb 20 year old salesman at circuit city - and you don't know that better, more efficient versions like avira and avast are free. You don't even know how to download them.

Your son downloaded limewire and clicks on all the myspace links for free stuff. All the sudden, your computer is going at retard speed - so you bring it to geek squad to fix and tell them not to install norton.

Rinse and repeat. Meet my uncle after spending ~200 for someone to remove viruses and reformat.

Not that much of a deal for you, but a lot of people over the age of 35 don't even know how to click a link to download something.  

Jonnnn

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 pm
I've met some of those people, so I guess I can relate. Also, not all people know how to avoid high-virus areas of the web, either.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:34 pm
speaking of norton... it isnt all that bad xD
even though they arent amazing, this is my last year using them cause i am gonna go with hijackthis instead  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces