Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Harharhar...
  u iz stoopid
View Results

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 pm
Who created this word!?
I mean, seriously. Bologna doesn't even look close to the pronunciation of it. Who created this word, and why'd they choose to pronounce it like this? I wonder if this is the same person who decides to make colonel the way it's pronounced...

Anyone know of any other words that look nothing like they're pronounced?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:58 pm
Um....Bologna? What is that? ^_^

Other words....oh I've came across alot but I'm drawing a blank at the moment sadly. ^^  

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 pm
Moonlight_HuangHou

Other words....oh I've came across alot but I'm drawing a blank at the moment sadly. ^^

It's pronounced 'buh-loney', it's a type of meat that's used on sandwiches. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Apparently, it gets it's name from Bologna, Italy, where it was originally created. xp  

Evil Pillows

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:03 pm
Evil Pillows
Apparently, it gets it's name from Bologna, Italy, where it was originally created. xp

Wow. So original... why can't they just name something without copying? Most things created have people's names in it the name of the product, or the place where it was made. I'd make something sound... cooler.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:20 am
Death Shikaku
Moonlight_HuangHou

It's pronounced 'buh-loney', it's a type of meat that's used on sandwiches. smile

lol Ohhh!! OK I know what that is and....THAT's how it's spelled?! ^^ I would have never guessed.

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Prince Seiko

4,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 am
well that word is pronounce like that in English but in Italy and Spanish if pronounce as it written Bo-log-na so I dont find it strange xd  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:08 am
Prince Seiko
well that word is pronounce like that in English but in Italy and Spanish if pronounce as it written Bo-log-na so I dont find it strange xd
lol So it's not the speller's fault but our fault for not pronouncing it right... (So basically we're wrong and the speller is right. XD)
Now the question is: Why did WE choose to pronounce it like this. (We must've thought our way is cooler XD)

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:10 pm
I like the way it's pronounced in America, honestly. I think it sounds better... bologna sounds more German than Spanish, though.

That reminds me... what's up with Spanish? In Spanish class I'd be so confused because you have to add 'amos', 'ais', 'as', 'ar', etc. onto a verb depending on who's doing the verb. Why not just make the verb like us, where you use the same form for everyone?

What else confuses me about Spanish is how some words are the same as in english, but others are completely different and make no sense. Like, for an example...
Banana in Spanish is banana.
Kiwi in Spanish is kiwi.
To bath, or bathe in Spanish is... wait, what? Banarse? What the Hell?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:18 pm
haha! its called speaking american....because we no longer speak proper english we also dont pronounce things correctly, like the original users of the word do.

This sounds like a question for "HotForWords" Marina on YouTube. I pronounce those words the way they are spelled haha.

I love american english... the pronounced words of different spellings:
there their they're
Deer Dear
Weather Whether

And same spelling different word:
Dove-the bird and Dove-the action of past tense diving.
Read- as in in the future reading and Read- as in the past tense form.
Alien- as in extraterrestrial and Alien- as in from another country.
Swear- as in to curse and Swear-as in to promise.  

VampressLeona

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:02 pm
VampressLeona

I love american english... the pronounced words of different spellings:
there their they're
Deer Dear
Weather Whether

Don't forget; which witch is which?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:57 pm
VampressLeona

And same spelling different word:
Dove-the bird and Dove-the action of past tense diving.
Read- as in in the future reading and Read- as in the past tense form.
Alien- as in extraterrestrial and Alien- as in from another country.
Swear- as in to curse and Swear-as in to promise.

Actually, if you think about alien's definitions they really do mean very similar things.

Something alien is different, strange, foreign. Aliens as in the little green men are both those, as are foreigners.

Though I will admit that read, present, and read, past, can be very confusing on their own and if you don't know the language. In context they aren't too hard to figure out though.
Actually, all those words in context wouldn't be hard to figure out unless someone merely yells: "I swear!"
But usually if someone is announcing a swear they are promising, if they were swearing as in cursing I think they'd skip annoucning it and go right to those obscene words.

Things get lost as languages get older though. No need to bash american english because we aren't the only ones who have had languages change as we moved on.

Languages are lost, languages are altered, it just happens.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

VampressLeona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 pm
Yes languages change but American english just seems to degrade itself. We butcher the proper pronunciation of our own language, we butcher grammar and most of the public allows it. Take music for example, rap and some r&b totally annihilate the proper use of words, tense and enunciation. Slang words dont become "slang" anymore they become the language itself, so much to the point that people attempting to learn English cant keep up because they dont teach "idiot speech" to the students in other countries, they teach Proper English. In short, Americans grow more lax as years pass and it just sounds like the majority of us are incredibly uneducated. (note these comments are more towards the "no need to bash american english"...its not that we change its that we dont do it for the better.)

And yes context has everything to do with deciphering the use of many of the words I chose, I was just commenting on the fact that I find it odd.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:04 pm
Wow... from the pronunciation of bologna to english grammar. This thread changed fast.

Is it just me, or is English class in high school really tedious? I mean, one minute I'd be sitting there, getting lectured by the teacher, the next, it feels like it's been half-an-hour to an hour. It's so boring... we do nothing fun. We write reports on crap we don't want to, and read books that I hate.  

Death Shikaku

Prince Seiko

4,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:15 pm
LOL Spanish is is quite gendered that many language most romance languages are for us "el agua" its a male noun and which in literal translation is "he water" but in actual translation is "the water" quite confusing aint it biggrin rofl  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff