Submit

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:07 pm
Anyone happen to know the dimentions for a naval nuclear reactor for a surface ship?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm
that would be... about the most classified information you could get on a naval ship, in regards to equipment. Plus, there's only about 12 people on the whole ship who've even stepped within enough distance to even guess the dimensions.

why do you need to know?  

Crash Maniac

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 pm
110 meters by 512 meters.

Yes, it's 2-dimensional.

rofl

Only kidding.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 pm
Im drafting a new class of ship, powerd by the atom!  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 pm
Crash Maniac
that would be... about the most classified information you could get on a naval ship, in regards to equipment. Plus, there's only about 12 people on the whole ship who've even stepped within enough distance to even guess the dimensions.

why do you need to know?
Actually, I doubt it's that classified. I mean, hell, Palo Verde has a PARKING LOT demonstrating the size of the reactor. It's a circle. The center median is the size of the reactor, the parking lot is the size of the inside, and the sidewalk is as thick as the containment walls. It's seriously that easy, and it's the visitors' parking lot.

A brief googling shows nothing on the size of an A4W reactor, but I'm sure if you really looked you could find it with little difficulty. As a guess though... 5m by 10m. It's really the other s**t like the steam generator(s), shielding, and piping that take up all the space.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:47 pm
Fresnel
Crash Maniac

why do you need to know?
Actually, I doubt it's that classified. I mean, hell, Palo Verde has a PARKING LOT demonstrating the size of the reactor. It's a circle. The center median is the size of the reactor, the parking lot is the size of the inside, and the sidewalk is as thick as the containment walls. It's seriously that easy, and it's the visitors' parking lot.

A brief googling shows nothing on the size of an A4W reactor, but I'm sure if you really looked you could find it with little difficulty. As a guess though... 5m by 10m. It's really the other s**t like the steam generator(s), shielding, and piping that take up all the space.
Thanks, i forsee this one im working on now will need more then one. the size im betting isnt classified but the inerworkings probably are to an extent.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:11 pm
Orkronos
Fresnel
Crash Maniac

why do you need to know?

Thanks, i forsee this one im working on now will need more then one. the size im betting isnt classified but the inerworkings probably are to an extent.
More than one? Only the Nimitz-class has more than one.

Are you designing a Habakkuk-class or someshit?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 pm
Fresnel
Orkronos
Fresnel
Crash Maniac

why do you need to know?

its a battleship at the length of 1600+ meters with a 200m tarmack for jumpjets and coppers atm i have atleast 5 main gun batteries aswell as a deck lined with several miniguns and 100mm guns aswell as missles. It perpous is to intimadate and destroy.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 pm
Orkronos
Fresnel
Orkronos
Fresnel
Crash Maniac

why do you need to know?

its a battleship at the length of 1600+ meters with a 200m tarmack for jumpjets and coppers atm i have atleast 5 main gun batteries aswell as a deck lined with several miniguns and 100mm guns aswell as missles. It perpous is to intimadate and destroy.
It's... a mile long? Christ, you could just retrofit an old Iowa-class and have a far more fearsome ship. You'd need a goddamned solid rocket engine on the back of your behemoth to make it move at any decent rate. You could shell the thing with an ICBM from two continents away and it'd have moved so short a distance that it'd still land on deck.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm
Well how meany somoli pirats want to take on a ship allah himself would ride on?  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:40 pm
Orkronos
Well how meany somoli pirats want to take on a ship allah himself would ride on?
and you just scale it up.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 pm
Orkronos
They don't have to, they can SWIM faster than it can chase them. By the time the thing would be arrive in response to an SOS, the pirates would have all died.

OF OLD AGE.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:47 pm
Fresnel
Orkronos
They don't have to, they can SWIM faster than it can chase them. By the time the thing would be arrive in response to an SOS, the pirates would have all died.

OF OLD AGE.
Scale the screws up and it will be fine and multi reactors will fill the power needs.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:22 pm
Orkronos
Fresnel
Orkronos

OF OLD AGE.
Scale the screws up and it will be fine and multi reactors will fill the power needs.
Scaling things up doesn't always work. You try to scale up a human body and it'll buckle and collapse under its own weight. You try to scale up a computer processor and... well, I honestly don't know why, but it doesn't work or else they'd be doing it already. Maybe if you could scale up the ocean and water molecules it might work, but I don't think you're going to get the results you expect. More likely than not you'll just shear the screws off from torquing so hard.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 pm
Fresnel
Orkronos
Fresnel
Orkronos

OF OLD AGE.
Scaling things up doesn't always work. You try to scale up a human body and it'll buckle and collapse under its own weight. You try to scale up a computer processor and... well, I honestly don't know why, but it doesn't work or else they'd be doing it already. Maybe if you could scale up the ocean and water molecules it might work, but I don't think you're going to get the results you expect. More likely than not you'll just shear the screws off from torquing so hard.
well these arnt normal screw desines but lets continue said argument in pms!  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff