Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Sailor Moon Live Action Movie (not PGSM)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Sedia Auvryarn

Friendly Conversationalist

8,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 pm
So the false rumor that Fox Studios wants to make a live action Sailor Moon movie with Joss Whedon is going around again and it got me thinking. I do feel that with all the live action anime movies being made these days, there is a very good chance Sailor Moon could be among them (not something fans should be planning for of course but it could be a possibility and at the very least something interesting to think about).

Some might remember that this has been attempted before where Geena Davis was set to play Queen Beryl and every fan was yelling for Kristen Dunst to be Sailor Moon (a part she very much wanted to do) but that never go off the ground. Now, with the success of several other live action anime movies and with the success of PSGM, who knows.

Yet, as far as I am concerned, if this ever becomes a reality, no matter how much they change things or how crappy it is, I will be there early on opening night wearing a Sailor Moon outfit and be the happiest person on earth 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 pm
So I found another sighting of Sailor Moon that apparently happened on Entertainment Tonight or Entertainment Tonight Canada on or around Feb 8, 2007. The thing is I have two people saying it was a sighting confirming a Live Action Movie and one saying they were just disproving an April Fools Joke from last year. I have no idea which is true although the whole idea of disproving an April Fools Joke almost a full year later seems highly unlikely.... I so wish I could find this episode 3nodding 3nodding  

Lady Sedia Auvryarn

8,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100

marius100

Conservative Explorer

3,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:34 pm
oh the special marriage one or Christmas one?  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:25 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

==========
A very small degree of hope

Considering that Sailor Moon is an older anime (that didn't have a continuation after a certain point, unlike DBZ), I kinda doubt that there will be a live movie of it. It ended back in '97 with only the series and 3 movies, where as the Dragon Ball franchise has like, 16 movies and:
DB
DBZ
DB GT
and whatever specials >_>

is sufficient to cause the birth of love
==========

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 am
Wow. I didn't realize this whole thing was still an issue.

Okay. Back in like '95 (I think--that's awhile back for me it could have been later like in 97 or even 99--I can't remember when exactly SM started airing in the US) not Fox, but some production company started to make this rip-off "thing," is all I can describe it, of Sailor Moon incorporating live action and cartooning. The cartooning was atrocious considering the greatness of SailorMoon (think Jemm if you're old enough to have seen them--don't get me wrong, I like Jemm, but to redo an anime in that style is just wrong). The live action was more like watching a childish "Blossom" episode.

They cleared enough clips to make a sneak peak sort of thing to get bids on the airing if it. Not a day later, did they get a Cease-and-Desist letter from Toei AND DiC/WaltDisney. That's as far as they've gone with it.

I saw this trailer-thing when I was like fourteen. My friend's mom worked for a production company for awhile before her divorce and moving to TN. She had a collection of videos of different stuff that was strictly for purposes of the company (editing lines from the equipment visible and number ques in the beginning and for commercial placements--those kinds of videos, if you aren't sure of what I'm talking about), one of which was this abomination calling itself Sailor Moon. We watched and I was like "THAT'S NOT SAILOR MOON!!" And her mom explained that a company attempted to produce it until the Cease-and-Desist.

Okay, keeping this in mind. I found on YouTube the same if only similar (I don't remember the Bandai thing) trailer. The only difference is this was recorded poorly from a viewing room--bootleg style, and the only thing that remotely shows Fox has anything to do with it, is a ********' WindowsMovieMaker blue-screen "Coming Soon From Fox". The voice--which is the original voice--cuts off saying "Coming this fall--".

If you couldn't figure out that it was false, then you're an idiot. This thing was probably made by a company that lost the bid from Toei for rights and thought they could over-rule international copyright law by beating DiC to the punch. Wrong, and good thing too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:38 am
That would be what everyone calls "Saban Moon" which was actually made by Toon Makers Inc. in late 1993 and as for a cease and desist order, no. I don't think so. People have interviewed the guy who made the clip, the president of Toon Makers Inc., and he said nothing of the sort. The real reason no one bought it was because it was simply cheaper to dub the anime then to make a whole new show. Also that's not as far as they got with it either since another company did have plans to make a live action movie back in the late 90's as stated above.

And what "Bandai thing" are you talking about? "Coming soon from fox?" Umm what the heck were you watching cause that is not correct at all. That "WindowsMovieMaker blue-screen" says "TOON MAKERS INC." and then lists the company's old address and phone number. Also no one says "coming this fall" either.

Plus the clip was made completely legally and they were ASKED to make it. So perhaps you should get your facts straight before saying someone else is an idiot. And by the way, it appears obvious that you didn't read my posts at all because if you had you would have known that I wasn't even talking about this clip in the least.

Venombabe
Considering that Sailor Moon is an older anime (that didn't have a continuation after a certain point, unlike DBZ), I kinda doubt that there will be a live movie of it. It ended back in '97 with only the series and 3 movies, where as the Dragon Ball franchise has like, 16 movies and:
DB
DBZ
DB GT
and whatever specials >_>

And yes I know it will probably never happen, but like I said, given the success of other live action movies and a revival with PGSM it is interesting to think about. Saying that since it was only a 200 episode series with 3 movies means it won't get a live action flick is silly though. So is saying that its because its older. Their making Akira (much older) and Cowboy Bebop (much shorter) for heaven's sake, that rules out both those arguments lol xd And don't say "well those are more famous" cause Sailor Moon is equally up there with them.  

Lady Sedia Auvryarn

8,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm
Chill out. I was talking about something SIMILAR but different. Did you think that I was calling you an idiot? No. As for "Saban Moon"---I was just going by what I was told by someone that I believed to be knowledgeable on the subject. Now, I'm sorry you think I don't have my facts straight, but if you take time out from your schedule actually go to YouTube to see the clip I'm talking about--or did you not read all of my post--you'd know why I even mentioned it and how someone who doesn't know about the new rumors that the creator of Buffy or who else mentioned having rights to SM may not know that the clip is bull s**t. Those are people who are idiots--if they can see blatant changes between bootleg recording and a digitally created clip. And if you would stop jumping to a damn conclusion and go see what I'm talking about you'd agree with me about that. But whatever. I'm not coming back to this thread if all I'm going to get from the author is rude flaming.  
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games