Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
I've changed my view on the "war on drugs"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 pm
We haven't had a politics thread since... the inauguration, so here we go!

For a while I felt that the war on drugs was a waste of time and resources, and that anyone who is old enough should make their own choices. HOWEVER, if we make these drugs illegal, we will seriously cripple the economies of nations like Columbia, and do some damage to those like Afghanistan.

Now I understand the delicate balance.

DISCUSSION: Drugs. Good? Evil? Should we war with them?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:18 pm
nitnit
We haven't had a politics thread since... the inauguration, so here we go!

For a while I felt that the war on drugs was a waste of time and resources, and that anyone who is old enough should make their own choices. HOWEVER, if we make these drugs illegal, we will seriously cripple the economies of nations like Columbia, and do some damage to those like Afghanistan.

Now I understand the delicate balance.

DISCUSSION: Drugs. Good? Evil? Should we war with them?

I don't understand your stance. The drugs are illegal - should we legalize them?  

Jonnnn

Raijin36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:26 pm
Whether they are legal or not it doesn't matter people will still make their own decisions.

I think that their thought process on making it legal is that everyone that does it just to rebel will not want to do them anymore, and most likely more people that didn't do it because it was illegal will start doing them it will never end no matter what.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:23 pm
My stance is pretty clear, we must not legalize them because we might destroy the delicate economic climates of columbia and the such.  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm
nitnit
My stance is pretty clear, we must not legalize them because we might destroy the delicate economic climates of columbia and the such.

You stated it strangely and it seems a bit contradictory to what you usually believe on these issues. I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that the "war on drugs" has a positive effect to Colombia's "delicate" economy.

In reality, Colombia is in shambles. One of the direct effects of this "war" is the extreme inflation in the price of cocaine. This fuels the drug lords power - their influence over the government (which happens to be completely corrupt), their influence over Colombia's economy and overall GDP, and destroys the climate and biodiversity of the area. The drug lords have completely destroyed the area for the long run.

I understand that legalizing drugs will lead to lower prices, which will
unravel what modern Colombia is built upon. But, the life quality of the average Colombian would greatly increase - since they, you know, have the lives of slaves right now. Perhaps it's time to spread the wealth to the lower class - instead of virtually advocating the corruption of a country. After all, they are among the top 30 richest countries, but only rank 82 for GDP.

While I don't advocate U.S. support in the selling of most drugs. I see a huge need to legalize all drugs and educate people - without using scare tactics - of the dangers of drugs.

It's my body, if I want to do LSD, I'll do it for ******** sake. Colombia and the recent happening of the Mexican border are examples of what an abstract war on nothing and propaganda can do.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:00 pm
Jonnnn

It's my body, if I want to do LSD, I'll do it for ******** sake. Colombia and the recent happening of the Mexican border are examples of what an abstract war on nothing and propaganda can do.

The news is really exaggerating the situation in Mexico. It isn't as intense as they put it out to be. I live in northern Mexico and know the situation.

90% of the police force are paid out by the drug lords. I know a man that's on the police force, and has told me everything about the situation. Every month one of the major drug lords comes up to them and gives them money and basically say: "Keep this up, and you stay alive."

The police are un-trustworthy and corrupt.

If you've seen the movie Man on Fire, that's how it is.

But as I was saying, you are completely safe down here if you aren't a policeman, aren't involved in drugs, or aren't a multi-millionaire.  

Faded Justice

4,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:24 pm
Meh was here
Jonnnn

The news is really exaggerating the situation in Mexico. It isn't as intense as they put it out to be. I live in northern Mexico and know the situation.

90% of the police force are paid out by the drug lords. I know a man that's on the police force, and has told me everything about the situation. Every month one of the major drug lords comes up to them and gives them money and basically say: "Keep this up, and you stay alive."

But as I was saying, you are completely safe down here if you aren't a policeman, aren't involved in drugs, or aren't a multi-millionaire.

Thanks for the clarification. The corruption does show, however, the effects of such a war.

Thanks for the bold. Really interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:45 pm
Jonnnn
Meh was here
Jonnnn

Thanks for the clarification. The corruption does show, however, the effects of such a war.

Thanks for the bold. Really interesting.

You are welcome :]

But really it makes me think. How many people do I know are secretly involved in drugs. My little brother goes to a private elementary school here, and had a friend that lived in this awesome house, his parents had like 20 sports cars, each room had a giant plasma screen tv, etc.

About 5 months ago, the army raided the kid's house and arrested the father. Turns out he was one of the major drug lords. It makes me think badly how much I can be in danger by just spending the night at my friend's house. Sure, the army wouldn't shoot me, but imagine if one of the opposing drug lords raided the house. Do they have mercy? Would they shoot everyone in the house? I would think so. Would you?  

Faded Justice

4,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Raijin36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:59 am
Jonnnn
nitnit

You stated it strangely and it seems a bit contradictory to what you usually believe on these issues. I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that the "war on drugs" has a positive effect to Colombia's "delicate" economy.

In reality, Colombia is in shambles. One of the direct effects of this "war" is the extreme inflation in the price of cocaine. This fuels the drug lords power - their influence over the government (which happens to be completely corrupt), their influence over Colombia's economy and overall GDP, and destroys the climate and biodiversity of the area. The drug lords have completely destroyed the area for the long run.

I understand that legalizing drugs will lead to lower prices, which will
unravel what modern Colombia is built upon. But, the life quality of the average Colombian would greatly increase - since they, you know, have the lives of slaves right now. Perhaps it's time to spread the wealth to the lower class - instead of virtually advocating the corruption of a country. After all, they are among the top 30 richest countries, but only rank 82 for GDP.

While I don't advocate U.S. support in the selling of most drugs. I see a huge need to legalize all drugs and educate people - without using scare tactics - of the dangers of drugs.

I'm pretty much neutral on everything like this as long as i'm alive and breathing in the end it's all good.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm
See, if we lifted the ban on the drugs here then Northern Mexico would lose all that money!  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces