Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:57 pm
So I bought a Zippo lighter around the end of January, and it's starting to annoy me. It can't hold its liquor, so to speak. I have to refill it every day or two, whether I use it or not. I don't smoke or anything, so I don't use it on a daily basis, but I find I need a lighter every so often and I figured carrying around a Zippo would be pretty awesome, but I'm going through fuel like a ******** freight train. So my question... are they SUPPOSED to leak fuel this fast? Is it a design flaw, or is my Zippo just ******** up? I mean, I don't see how WWII soldiers could keep these things fueled on the front if you have to fill them up every couple days. At least matches don't evaporate.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:47 pm
I think they refilled their zippos with gasoline.

Yeah, my zippo dries out as well.
I picked up one of the Austrian 'military' lighters off cheaperthandirt, it seems to hold its fluid better but not by a whole lot.

When I fill these lighters I just don't fill them completely up, just enough for the day.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 am
I can't imagine filling it with gas. While it might work, your cigarette would taste TERRIBLE.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 am
I'll just stick with my cheap a** bic lighters. Seems to work good enough, or judging by the way this thread is going, better.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 pm
Man of the Demoneye
I'll just stick with my cheap a** bic lighters. Seems to work good enough, or judging by the way this thread is going, better.
Probably so. If my Zippo weren't so goddamned classy, I'd start carrying a Bic instead. Probably a Scripto though... WAY cheaper than Bic.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Probably so. If my Zippo weren't so goddamned classy, I'd start carrying a Bic instead. Probably a Scripto though... WAY cheaper than Bic.

Yeah, with class comes disadvantages.

Still
Zipp>Bic  

OberFeldwebel

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am
Fresnel
I can't imagine filling it with gas. While it might work, your cigarette would taste TERRIBLE.

its true, its something my dad used to do when out on maneuvers. they'd dip the zippo into a gas tank, or something and fill it. Yes, the taste is horrible, but between smoking and no smoking... well..

Dont feel bad, my zippo does the same thing. but mine's OLD. i usually get a chemical burn on my thigh when i have it in my pocket.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 pm
Crash Maniac
Fresnel

its true, its something my dad used to do when out on maneuvers. they'd dip the zippo into a gas tank, or something and fill it. Yes, the taste is horrible, but between smoking and no smoking... well..

Dont feel bad, my zippo does the same thing. but mine's OLD. i usually get a chemical burn on my thigh when i have it in my pocket.

Where did you get that weapon you're holding?  

OberFeldwebel

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 pm
OberFeldwebel
Crash Maniac
Fresnel

Where did you get that weapon you're holding?

Nano-C 7th Gen.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Could be the seals, as I've heard older Zippos tend to "dry out" quick. CountyComm I know has a military-grade (YES, you read right) Zippo called the Peanut that works pretty good. Water-tight seal and can be attached to your keys. Here's a link to it if you want to check it out:

Edit: Sorry, last link was a bust. XP
This one works:
http://countycomm.com/sslight.htm  

Sidal

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 pm
Sidal
Could be the seals, as I've heard older Zippos tend to "dry out" quick. CountyComm I know has a military-grade (YES, you read right) Zippo called the Peanut that works pretty good. Water-tight seal and can be attached to your keys. Here's a link to it if you want to check it out:

This one works:

Hmm... want.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 pm
Sidal

This one works:
I have a lighter that looks something like that. Runs on calcium carbide and water and smells like a dead fish.

But mine's not old. I cracked the orange seal on it myself three months ago.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:40 am
Crash Maniac
Fresnel

You know, if that works, I'm switching to gas after I finish this gallon can of naphtha I bought a few years back for my catalytic pocket warmer. I don't smoke, so taste is immaterial. I also prefer the smell of gasoline to the smell of naphtha.

See, I've had it leak a couple times when I overfilled it, but I've never gotten a chemical burn. It just leaves this white film that washes off with water. Maybe it's because I'm not using Zippo brand fuel?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 am
Fresnel
Crash Maniac
Fresnel

You know, if that works, I'm switching to gas after I finish this gallon can of naphtha I bought a few years back for my catalytic pocket warmer. I don't smoke, so taste is immaterial. I also prefer the smell of gasoline to the smell of naphtha.

See, I've had it leak a couple times when I overfilled it, but I've never gotten a chemical burn. It just leaves this white film that washes off with water. Maybe it's because I'm not using Zippo brand fuel?

I used zippo brand fluid and got it on my skin through my pocket.
Never got a rash. I guess some people's skin are more sensitive.

There's some new low-odor zippo fluid that doesn't smell a whole lot.
Also, it seems to stay in the lighter a bit longer.
I filled my zippo two or three weeks ago and it still lights up.  

OberFeldwebel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:16 pm
My zippo doesn't run out that fast. It'll evaporate out in about two weeks without use, but you're refilling it every day? Zippos have eternal warranties on everything but the casing, so maybe you should send it in to be fixed.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff