Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm
User Image

The desert...memories...some happy...some sad...one painful...

She swore she would never return to the rolling mounds of gold. Swore that she would never want to return to where her life had broken a part. So long ago she made that promise to herself, but promises can and were broken. Even if it was a promise to herself, it did not mean it was any less hurtful.

Shockingly blue eyes gazed at the golden land before them. Landmarks that had once been familiar were gone. Where a bush once stood there was nothing but another dune. A rock there? No, nothing but sand. It was amazing how quickly the desert could swallow up everything that had once been. Just like her life...

Why could it not take the memories with it as well?

A dry, hot breeze blew across the land. It brought no relief and did nothing but make Kinja even more aware how uncomfortable she was with the climate now. Funny, how now, after all this time and all the hardships, there was still a sense of home in the sands. Even more funny is how it seemed her 'home' was now a hostile entity against her. With the changing sands, Kinja no longer knew her way around the desert as she once had and the ever moving earth was already working its magic and erasing her past tracks. Counting dunes and relying on the scarce vegetation was not going to guide this lioness through the harsh environment anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 pm
User Image

Times, indeed, had changed. Where once a slave strode the deserts, now the dark shadow of the regent crossed. The second pridelander queen, although none dare knew. Her mind, once again filled with worries and conflicts and work. The cubs were growing older- soon they'd be out of her paws and flying away like hawklings. She didn't like to admit it, but the thought of it scared her. She was not ready to give up any of her brood.

But it was a good day, in any case. Like usual, No found herself in the desert as a form of meditation. She took many such breaks during the day- in between running as a liaison between the safi and simo conjoined forces, daily maintenance, her cubs and finding time with Kidondo. Often times her mind worked at such a rapid pace that she needed the seemingly endless monotony of the shifting sands to relax her mind and steady her thoughts.

Of course, the added bonus was that she fancied herself quite the guard, when she had to be. In the distance, the shape of a lone red figure cresting above one of the sweeping dunes immediately caught her attention. For a moment, she assumed it one of the newly joined safi- those who's faces she had not yet memorized. But with a careful, squint, she decided to err on the side of caution. It proved to be a wise decision after all.

As she approached, she let out a low call. When not in front of the pride, No could be quite amiable if she wished- but she did not hide the slight threat in her posture. "Hello there," The black cat said, her voice seemingly at ease- her sleek neck curved to the side.

The lioness not far from her seemed tired, haggard even. It settled No a bit, and she dropped her otherwise hostile gait. "You won't get far, traveling that way." She called.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm
The rolling dunes made seeing the horizon a difficult thing. As soon as she climbed on dune that had looked the largest another one, much larger, stood in her way. It was this constant that let Kinja miss the black lionesses approach until the other female was practically on top the former Firekin. At first glance, Kinja couldn't help but notice that this lioness did not exactly appear to have the stature of a typical Firekin. Well, at least the Firekin she had met looked stockier and bigger. This ebony was much sleeker and much more feminine. A slave maybe? Kinja hoped that that horrible tradition wouldn't be continued but it seemed like that old habits were hard to break. But...no...the way the lioness carried herself stated otherwise. Someone with such posture could not be a slave. Odd indeed...Then again, there had been many rumors floating around about the Firekin. It was the rumors that had Kinja there.

"Hello. Well, yes, it appears that the sands have changed quite a lot since my last journey through them." Kinja's posture held no defiance or aggression. Instead, the old lioness stood there with as much regal poise as she could hold, which was actually an impressive display that was only enhanced by her age. Being back in the sands seemed to awaken Kinja's past self. A past she had abandoned so long ago.

"I am Kinja." She offered her name with her usual strong but gentle voice. The tip of her tail twitched periodically behind her, the only give away of her lack of comfort in the whole situation she had found herself. "You wouldn't happen to be a member of the Motoujami?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm
No shifted, appraising the lioness before her carefully. She'd met a lot of lions returning to the pride after the split- but none had phrased their response to her quite so... haphazardly? It was a tactic No used often in conversation. It was curious then, to have it returned to her in such a steady manner.

"They do like to do that. I am No," the black cat stated. Kinja? She'd heard that name before. But names came and went. "-regent of the Motoujamii with my mate, Kidondo. If you're looking for home, my friend, you may find it much changed." She spoke, covering the last few steps, her voice stern. They had all but absorbed the safi into the pride- but she supposed there was always the chance of stragglers finding their way back.

She sat. She saw no need to be overt with the lioness- especially now that she was curious. Her head dipped as the wheels in her head spun. "You are returning home after all this while?" She asked suspiciously.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:18 am
Oh yes, time loved to change things.

"Regent?" This stunned Kinja for a moment and a look of pain flashed across her eyes. "So it is true..." She couldn't stop herself from speaking the words. She allowed herself to sit upon the hot sands, unsure if the news kept coming that she'd be able to stay on her own two paws.

Lost in her own thoughts the lioness felt another pang of pain. The desert had taken so much from her already, and now...

Was there a point to continue on? Should she just turn around and...no, she had to find out what happened. She needed to know what caused all of these changes to occur. "I am...sorry if I seem a bit..." She sought for the right words. "Unwelcoming to the news of you being Regent. It's not the fact that you are reigning over the pride...I..." Such elegant words, Kinja berated herself mentally. With a sigh she looked straight at the lioness. "In all truth I did not come back here seeking shelter or a home. I came to find out if the rumors about the pride were true. And that...Kimeti...Kimeti was dead." The pain shone in Kinja eyes. A Pain only a mother could really feel.

It was so hard to say. Oh so hard. Another death no associated with this pride. Another one of her family engulfed by the desert.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:40 am
"...what?" No spoke, her throat suddenly tightening. Kidondo and No had done a great many things since they had taken over the pride- but privately, Kimeti's death was still a quiet knife in their chests. He had never been anything but a tyrant to No- but she saw the love in his eyes that day No and Kidondo had first returned. Back when she had been a slave masquerade. You didn't fake that. They might have been right in doing so, but they had still done quite a bit of betrayal to end up where they stood.

But, No would never once say she regretted it.

Her jaw squared and she shifted, trying to find the right words. She was suddenly quite aware that the tragedy in this Kinja's eyes was very real. Kinja, she knew that name. Then this...was Kidondo's grandmother? Her ears folded, and her head dipped in an uncharacteristic tone of respect. "...I'm sorry then. What you heard was true. Kimeti has died, and his son and I rule the pride now."

Her eyes rose. "For the past few years we have been at war. Kimeti was a consequence of that conflict." But the pride was whole again.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 am
Any hope left in Kinja that Kimeti may still be alive was killed like a tiny, annoying bug. Her son...gone...thanks to a war she knew nothing about. What had caused the war? It was a pride war if the rumor were right. So who or what caused the uprising? Who killed her son? Taking a deep breath, Kinja restrained the tears that wanted to fall. She would -not- allow herself to cry, not here. If there was one thing she had learned while living in the Firekin, it was not to allow herself to look too weak amongst the other pride members.

"His son?" She smiled a sad smile. "I never realized Kimeti had cubs." She spoke it more as a way to turn her own attention away from the loss. "I should have come back before now...I would have known." Once again the tears threatened but Kinja fought them back.

A change in topic would help...for now. "So, how far away was I from the dens? I was afraid that I'd be lost out here for quite sometime. Thankfully you showed up." She rose to all four paws, sand falling from her. "Would it be alright if I went to the dens? I could use some time to rest and I'd like to meet this mate of yours."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 am
"He had several." No said. "Kidondo and Kaanga still live here. Some of Kimeti's brothers and sisters have remind in the desert as well." She explained. There was a kind of disbelief to her voice. She wasn't sure what to make of the situation. This old woman, who had vanished from the pride so long ago. She knew nothing of her grandcub's struggle, of how they'd fought to change the pride they so loved...

Kinja's sudden change in disposition troubled No. For a moment, she thought the lioness about to break into sorrow. She was a queen, No reminded herself. What would she have done in a similar situation? Bitterly, she swallowed down the dryness in her throat. "A.... bit too west, I'm afraid." She said, following the subject change. "These lands are still quite dangerous to wander too far."

Reminding herself of Ripuka- No knew it wouldn't do to keep her eyes off Kinja. This was quite a sensitive issue here, she realized. They'd have to keep low of the Safi, too, at least for the moment. "The dens are back this way. Come with me, please." She said, heading back in the direction of her own den. "I'll have one of my daughters find Kidondo."

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:26 am
"It would be nice to see them all." She state truthfully. She'd like to meet the family she never knew she had, and see those she had left behind. This brought up another thought. Was she a coward for just leaving her cubs here, alone, to continue the pride? Should she have stayed to help them? But with the emotional state she was in, would staying have done any good. This brought up another question though...if she had stayed, could she have helped stop the war from happening and in turn, saved her son?

"These lands can't be anymore dangerous than they were before..." She looked at No and smiled and true smile before turning herself to a more eastern position and waited for No to take the lead. "Actually, I'd say they are less so." Oh yes, Kinja remember far too well the reign of Makadari and how vicious the lion was. Compared to her first venture into the desert, this welcoming was much more warm. How long ago had all of that occurred? Kinja dared not put years to it, afraid to age herself even more than she already was.

Another thought crossed her mind...Hestia. Hopefully that bird was not still skulking about the pride's lands. Kinja was far from willing to see that demi-goddess again and was quite sure she'd be unable to contain herself from sinking her claws into that bird's flesh.

"Daughters?" That pulled Kinja out of her reverie. "My goodness I have quite the family now." Funny, how all she wanted in her life was to have a large happy family, and here it was just waiting for her in the lands she had left behind.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 am
Kidondo was returning to the dens just as the two females were, unaware of their approach and unaware that today was going to bring a rather unexpected visitor to the lands.

He moved slowly across the golden sand, sure-footed but tired somewhat. Having the Safi join and the impending departure of young Uddhava was starting to tire on him somewhat. He never thought he'd be a suspicious sort, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to embrace the Safi as kin but...but he didn't trust them and he was beginning to wonder whether he ever would.

He looked into their eyes and tried to read them, tried to see if he saw ideas of rebellion in there. Tried to see scandal and lies. But he couldn't and he was beginning to doubt his ability to judge a good character when he saw one. He'd even snapped at one of Kenna's young ones only a few days ago for coming to close to the den.

He looked up as the dens came into view and gave a gruff call to see if No was home. Maybe even one of the children. They spent less and less time there now, too busy out and about making friends. They were growing up. Too fast. Far too fast. And if they were out there he might not be able to...no, enough of those thoughts. They didn't need protecting from the Safi and even if they did, how was he going to trap them away and justify it when other Simo children were out there, too?

He growled, kicked up a bit of sand and moved towards the entrance, knowing now that nobody was home.

So where were they all, then?

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

Mimsey

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:09 pm
No wasn't so sure about that. At least in the old days you knew your enemies. Now... the black cat swallowed, and picked up the pace. She had to admit, she was a bit excited to share the information with Kidondo. This was his grandmother! A link to a past life they assumed had ended. Her nose crinkled. Hopefully this would not be a mistake. She wouldn't stand to see him brow beaten.

"Oh, trust me. You have quite a family." She sighed. Just the thought of what sort of trouble the twins were getting into as they spoke was tiresome enough!

As they approached the den however, it became clear to No that she would not need to send anyone to find the other Regent. He was returning home just as they were- and suddenly, she sprinted in front of Kinja to be sure she caught to him fast enough to do a quick debriefing.

"Kidondo!" She said, quickly crossing the distance to him. She pushed against him affectionately, but didn't waste much time. As she leaned into him she looked back over her shoulder to the approaching form of Kinja. "Kidondo, we have a bit of a matter here." She whispered.

But it wouldn't do to whisper as Kinja got closer. No took a careful step aside and sat, her dark green eyes falling upon the queen's form. "Kidondo, this is Kimeti's mother- Kinja."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm
Kinja followed behind No at a fairly comfortable pace. As they crossed over dunes and passed the bit of vegetation there was in the desert, Kinja found herself unconsciously taking note of landmarks that would help her navigate the desert once again. The desert had really truthfully changed quite a bit since her departure. She just shook her head, the desert truly was the home of Finar-si, the Goddess of Change.

As they began to approach the heart of the pride lands, Kinja began to recognize things as the sand became a more compact ground from so much travel on it. The most familiar and heartwarming sight were the pridal dens that rose from the desert floor. It was a welcomed sight and one that Kinja was surprised she'd see again, after all, she had intentions of never returning.

As the dens came in sight, Kinja saw the form of a lion moving towards them. It was then that No picked up pace and sprinted towards the figure. Knowing better than to try and keep up, Kinja continued at the pace that had originally been set. No probably wanted to speak to her mate and Kinja was quite fine with that. It was funny though, as she looked at this lion, Kidondo, she couldn't help but not similarities between him and her dear Kimeti. The black mane was one of the strongest similarities but his figure was similar to her sons, maybe not quite as stocky, and his face structure also was quite similar to Kimeti. It must have been so hard for him to loose his father, as hard as it was for her to loose a son.

As she approached Kinja heard No introduce her. She smiled and bowed her head slightly in greeting before stopping in front of him. "It's wonderful to finally meet you Kidondo. If I had known my son had cubs I may have taken a trip back to meet you all. Living as a rogue does not mean you hear a lot of news about prides. Not unless it is extremely...important news."

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:50 am
He heard her voice and felt his heart grow warm at the sound of it. His beloved No. His head turned to catch sight of her sleek, dark form coming towards him, piercingly beautiful against the golden sea about her. A sea swept smooth by the desert-wind punctured by a trail of prints behind her. He smiled and only managed to half-turn before she was at his side.

"So there you are," he replied with a purr, "I was just wondering wh--" He didn't get a chance to finish that sentence. A matter? What sort of matter? He wasn't sure he could decipher her tone, which was unusual. It had him on edge immediately and he opened his mouth to question further, only to find the 'matter' coming straight towards him, a living, breathing 'matter' with a face both strange but heart-achingly familiar.

And as No spoke again he knew, before the words were out, who this female was.

His father's mother.

His grandmother.

He must have looked quite the fool at that moment, standing stock still, staring as if he had seen a ghost. Staring as if he were seeing something that weren't real - could never, ever be real. He almost believed it to be one of those cursed visions, a dream he had only to wake up from. And yet...

Something started in his chest, a tangle of grief that squirmed and writhed like a hundred snakes. He felt them rise, felt them squeeze his lungs, tighten his throat to render speech useless. He knew he should say something, even perhaps move closer. But he could not. He saw her face and in it he saw his father's face and the memory of that day came back to haunt him with such painful vibrancy that it wa slike reliving that terrible moment.

Would she greet him so if she knew what he had done?

He opened his mouth to reply, but only a weak croak uttered forth. He knew then how un-firekin he must seem. A firekin would handle this as he must. Take it in his stride. But this...this was like facing an almighty Goddess of Judgement, not an elderly lioness, not his grandmother. His grandmother, Kinja.

"You..." He struggled to find the words. "You came back." Not the best greeting one could come up with, but it was certainly better than nothing. "It is wonderful to meet you at last. To...put a face to a name, though somehow I think I always knew your face." He felt like he was drowning, like he was gasping for breath as the waves crashed over his head.

Did she know?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:51 am
No watched the two look at one another, feeling her own heart flutter against her chest. She wasn't sure quite how this would go. Would Kinja blame them? Would she know how it had hurt them to split the pride apart? For the moment both were staring. Kinja- her eyes upon her grandson and Kidondo grasping for the right words. Her eyes veiled when Kinja mentioned her 'extremely important' news.

She turned towards Kidondo. "She's... come to confirm a rumor she heard. About Kimeti. I've told her that what she heard was true." At least, for the moment, they were on the right page.

"Kinja, I hope... you will let us explain ourselves and what we've done when you're ready." Her head shook. "I realize this is grave business, but..."

Motoujamii Lands

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:44 pm
Kinja just smiled more at Kidondo's fish-out-of-water actions. The poor boy looked so confused and so...worried? How strange? Surely he did not think that she, an elderly lioness could pose any threat to him or his kingdom? Then again, Kinja was very much unaware of her grandson's actions toward her son. All she had heard was that Kimeti had fallen in a pridal war. She had not heard who the killer had been or what the exact circumstances were.

"Would you rather I had not come back?" She teased in a motherly tone, hoping the lighten the oddly tense mood. She tilted her head with a soft expression as Kidondo continued to speak. "That's quite a flattering thing to say to an old lioness. I am glad I did not surprise you with my appearance." How funny those words were for if they only knew what she really looked like they certainly would not ever think that she was his grandmother. "As strange as it is to be on the sands again, it is somewhat comforting in a way. It's also easier being here now that I know I have family." Yes, taking her first steps here not knowing what she would find had scared her. She was terrified that she'd only be faced with her past and the last thing she wanted to relive was that.

As No spoke, Kinja's piercing blue eyes shifted their attention to the ebony female. "What you've done? I am not sure what you means but I don't think we should ruin happy greeting with...with depressing news." In a way, Kinja didn't want to hear about the death of her son. In a way she somehow hoped to see Kimeti come rounding the corner and find out that the whole rumor had been just that, a pointless rumor, but the old lioness knew she was deceiving herself.

[IC] Motoujamii-Simo Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff