Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Back to Guilds

Tags: Purple, Moonlight, Chat, Hangout, Moon 

Reply *~Purple Moonlight Haze~*
Contemporary themes from classic pieces?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zizzy likes classical
  I would never have guessed!
  Pshh, totally knew it.
  I never thought about it(I just like gold)
View Results

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:30 pm
Everyone knows the Tetris theme.
If you don't know it then you've probably been living under a rock for the past twenty years.

One thing people don't know as well is classical music.
I happened to be listening to Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 the other day and as I was listening I found something quite interesting.
At about 4:11 it sounds very much like the Tetris theme. (you may have to turn your volume up to hear it since it's kind of quiet.)
It is much easier to hear in the orchestra version of the song at 6:04. (and if you want to keep listening after that it leads right into my favorite part of the song.)

I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I found that really interesting.

......Actually, upon a bit of further reasearch I found that the Tetris theme is an instrumental version of the Russian folk song, Korobeiniki.

This thread has almost lost it's point. Let's change it to:

Anyone ever notice other musical coincidences? One songs sounds a lot like another but really isn't related?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm
Aww, I was going to mention Korobeiniki.

There's a Kirby song (Grape Garden) that sounds similar to Silver and Gold from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

And for some songs that fit the theme more: the game City Connection had two classical song remixes. The main song is Piano Concerto no. 1 by Tchaikovsky and the song when you hit the cat is Der Flohwalzer (the composer is unknown).  

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm
Hahaha! I beat you to it!

And that's interesting. The Kirby song sounds like a faster, 8-bit version of Silver and Gold.
Which reminds me I need to get my friend to send me some of his 8-bit music.

I was listening to that song the other day. I can kind of hear it. I'll need to come back and listen to the whole thing when I've got time though.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 pm
Well of course you did; you're the original poster.

I also recently remembered that Once Upon a Dream, from Disney's Sleeping Beauty, is the Waltz from Tchaikovsky's ballet with the same name. Disney (obviously) added lyrics to it.

Because the songs are both from productions called "Sleeping Beauty," it doesn't seem as interesting as the other ones.  

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers