Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:58 pm
Normally, I don't resort to caplock, but this video warrants it.

WANT!

http://www.greatamericans.com/videos/db7b6a3e27/javelin-testing  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm
eek

I never realized they were that powerful lol  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Sergeant CJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 pm
I am not opposed to this excessive show of force. I also enjoy the take off angle of the missile.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 pm
That was beautiful.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Krilliad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm
Holy.......  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 am
Does the operator of the Javelin have to keep the target 'lazed' for it to hit?  

OberFeldwebel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 am
I think it's fire & forget.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
yup, lazer is mounted in the nose and it guides itself.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel

Nice.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 am
Wall of text ahead, but interesting reading for those who are interested in this weapon.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin
Quote:
Warhead

The Javelin missile’s tandem warhead is a high-explosive antitank round. This round utilizes an explosive shaped charge to create a jet of superplasticity deformed metal formed from trumpet-shaped metallic liners. The result is a high velocity jet that can penetrate armor.

The Javelin counters the advent of explosive reactive armor (ERA). ERA panels lie over a vehicle’s main armor and explode when impacted by a warhead. This explosion does not harm the vehicle’s main armor, but causes steel panels to fly into the path of the antitank round’s jet, so that the jet expends its most potent energy cutting through the panels, rather than through the main armor.

The Javelin uses two shaped-charge warheads in tandem. The precursor charge sets off the ERA and clears it from the path of the main charge, which then penetrates the target’s primary armor.

A two-layered molybdenum liner is used for the precursor and a copper liner for the main charge.

To protect the main charge from the explosive blast, shock, and debris caused by the impact of the missile's nose and the detonation of the precursor charge, a blast shield is used between the main and precursor charge. This was the first composite material blast shield and the first that had a hole through the middle to provide a jet that is less spread out.

A newer main charge liner produces a higher velocity jet. This change makes the warhead more effective as a penetrator and smaller, with more room for propellant to increase the missile's range.

Electronic arming and fusing, called Electronic Safe Arming and Fire (ESAF), is used. The ESAF system enables the firing and arming process to proceed, while imposing a series of safety checks on the missile. ESAF cues the launch motor after the trigger is pulled. When the missile reaches a key acceleration point (indicating that it has cleared the launch tube), the ESAF initiates a second arming signal to fire the flight motor.

After another check on missile conditions (target lock check), ESAF initiates final arming to enable the warheads for detonation upon target impact. When the missile strikes the target, ESAF enables the tandem warhead function (provide appropriate time between the detonation of the precursor charge and the detonation of the main charge).

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 am
Replica Firepower: You can Never Have Enough  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:08 am

That's pretty cool but WAY TOO expensive for a completely unfunctioning RESIN replica.

I expected the 'rocket' to launch off and be made of a NERF material.
Or at least spray paint or shoot plastic BBs on impact.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/collectors-armory-wwii-p-38-replica.aspx?a=441009

Not an RPG7 but... still.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:34 am
Who needs replicas?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Want. So that I can turn it into a potato launcher.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm
OberFeldwebel

Want. So that I can turn it into a potato launcher.
It makes me wonder about the aerodynamic properties of pineapples.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff