Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
laurie cabot, the official witch of salem Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm
what do you guys think of Laurie Cabot, "The Official Witch of Salem"? i have read a few things about her, some good and some not so good. i have never met her or her daughters, but my mother and i are planning a trip to salem, massachusetts some time in the distant future. so i was just wondering if any of you have ever met her or been to her store and what you think about her.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:13 pm
It kind of seems like a publicity thing.

I mean really, who would there be to declare her the "official" witch of Salem?? Who would get together to vote on that? Would it be like Witch Idol or something?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

I mean really, who would there be to declare her the "official" witch of Salem?? Who would get together to vote on that? Would it be like Witch Idol or something?

I believe it was the Salem City Council. It's totally a publicity thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

"In 1977, Laurie finally received the title she had long been seeking and was named ‘the Official Witch of Salem’ by the then governor of Massachusetts ‘Michael Dukakis’. He bestowed upon Laurie the states Patriot Award, known as the ‘Paul Revere’ citation, this is an historical award issued by the Governor to honour citizens of the state for their public service. The citation for the award is signed by the Governor and the Treasurer of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and in her case it reads: “I proclaim Laurie Cabot the Official Witch of Salem for her work with children of special needs”. "

source: http://www.controverscial.com/Laurie Cabot.htm  

whiporwill-o

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 am
whiporwill-o
Violet Song jat Shariff

"In 1977, Laurie finally received the title she had long been seeking and was named ‘the Official Witch of Salem’ by the then governor of Massachusetts ‘Michael Dukakis’. He bestowed upon Laurie the states Patriot Award, known as the ‘Paul Revere’ citation, this is an historical award issued by the Governor to honour citizens of the state for their public service. The citation for the award is signed by the Governor and the Treasurer of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and in her case it reads: “I proclaim Laurie Cabot the Official Witch of Salem for her work with children of special needs”. "

*nods* That too.

I don't have much use for her, really. She's always seemed like a showboater, very sensationalist, and she books suffer from revisionist history and poor research. Her bit on 'Stephen Fry in America' was really really cringe-worthy, as well:

"Witchcraft is my religion - Wicca has become a colloquialism meaning witchcraft, so people don't have to say the "W" word."

W.T.F!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Don't know her personally, thus I'm not going to presume to be in a position from which I can judge her fairly. What she does is her business anyway, not mine.  

Starlock

RubyLight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:24 pm
I know a very little about her, beyond her mass marketing.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 pm
Now I know your guy's opinions on her, and I've looked into more info about her, I dislike her. She seems quite "fake" and "dodgy" to me.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

achilles_tendencies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm
I haven't met her, although she seems like a nice enough sort. It might be fun to stop by her shop and look around just to say you went, just for gits and shiggles, that is if your going to be in that neck of the woods anyway.

I read her book Power of the Witch, and even though I didn't agree with everything it contained, (I find I rarely do) it was a good read, and it helped me with medidtating. I have a very active mind, extreamly hard to quiet, and I found some of the exercises for relaxing and meditating to be very helpful.

Other than that, I don't judge her, just like some other famous or imfamous characters that publish alot of books and have publicity. I don't have to walk her path, I only have to walk mine.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 pm
Starlock
Don't know her personally, thus I'm not going to presume to be in a position from which I can judge her fairly. What she does is her business anyway, not mine.

I agree completely.  

The Falling Leaf

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm
Morgandria
whiporwill-o
Violet Song jat Shariff

*nods* That too.

I don't have much use for her, really. She's always seemed like a showboater, very sensationalist, and she books suffer from revisionist history and poor research. Her bit on 'Stephen Fry in America' was really really cringe-worthy, as well:

"Witchcraft is my religion - Wicca has become a colloquialism meaning witchcraft, so people don't have to say the "W" word."

W.T.F!

I've been thinking about this- and it really makes me angry. Isn't that whole thing a violation of the separation of church and state?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm
Esiris

I've been thinking about this- and it really makes me angry. Isn't that whole thing a violation of the separation of church and state?

I think it is, myself. It's one of the things that comes up fairly often in the ongoing saga of Salem - some people aren't happy that they're a tourist trap, some people less happy that it's somehow 'gov't' approved, some people at the fact that there are merchant wars going on with some people trying to maintain a strangehold on businesses. It's a mess, honestly.

And maybe it's just me, but I've never once felt that I'd like to go to Salem. I find the entire thing sort of...repellent? It's just big and loud and fake, and that's not anything I want associated with me or my craft.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Amateur Snowfriend Architect 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm
It's easy to judge people, be it by their appearance, their speech, their social graces, and by the words of others. I choose to meet these people first and then after thinking long and hard, make a call. So since I've never met her and only seen her on tv and paper I can't say anything good or bad about her.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Morgandria

I think it is, myself. It's one of the things that comes up fairly often in the ongoing saga of Salem - some people aren't happy that they're a tourist trap, some people less happy that it's somehow 'gov't' approved, some people at the fact that there are merchant wars going on with some people trying to maintain a strangehold on businesses. It's a mess, honestly.

And maybe it's just me, but I've never once felt that I'd like to go to Salem. I find the entire thing sort of...repellent? It's just big and loud and fake, and that's not anything I want associated with me or my craft.

I think of it as an interesting part of US history and how people can effect others- if anything regarding paganism, I think it's a good example for people who get carried away in their "I'm a Fairy/Angel/Mermaid/Sorceress sent by the Old Gods to save the universe from evil and I've been trapped in a human body!" drama.I think the same kind of "OMG! Us v. Them!" stuff fuels both- and if Salem can teach neo-pagans anything, it's not to get carried away and hurt people.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:01 pm
I visit salem every year for birthday. I respect her for her books. Her store is fake. I prefer the store Hex or Nu Aeon which are much more what I would associate with witches. The Cabot tradition is where the Core of the Temple tradition comes from. I have never met her in person, but I want to someday.

Yes there is a lot of hype and fakeness. My first visit to Salem I felt was all fake (due to the tourist traps I had to endure) but not any more. There are three stores I can tell you are just that. However the sensation of the history that took place there as horrid as it was is important. I do believe that people should visit Salem.

It has become a pligramage for me. Every year I connect more to my spirituality and my path when I visit Salem. I also feel welcome and home. They don't treat me like your average tourist. I can talk with those shop owners and the historians there with the same amount of ease I can with the people that work my local shop.  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games