Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Ethical Collapse in America Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:16 pm
Ethical collapse - we has it. Now what can we do to get things going back in the right direction?

I've got to get going for tonight, but hopefully this will get some people talking!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:20 pm
An Ethical collapse in America. Hm, how would this have started... Fear. Yes, that's right, fear. See, in our society today, everyone lives in fear of causing a lawsuit, thus, any action they preform is judged. So, people live in fear of performing an Ethical act, such as stopping a robbery, or some such, because of that same simple fear.

To reverse this trend, we must refer to ancient wisdom. "Shoot the Lawyers" Sarcasm, yes, but we really need to limit the power of the law outside true criminal cases.  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 pm
User Image

I don't think the point of this discussion even exists- when was a large majority of humans ever ethical, whether in the United States or otherwise?

Our roots are sorely barbaric. Beating and degrading women used to be entirely acceptable. Hangings and death matches were our entertainments.

I can't believe there was ever a collapse in ethics. Rather, I figure that those who figure such have risen and have gained some power.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am
Let me rephrase in case some of the younger people aren't paying attention to the news. I was referring more to the unethical actions of the bank executives, which led to many of the economic issues we are experiencing. Example: Freddie Mac and AIG.

Also see politicians: Rod Blagojevich

Just because human nature is to be unethical (or is it?) doesn't mean that we should ignore the blatant negligence that our higher-ups are guilty of.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
Pink Rain Today
User Image

I don't think the point of this discussion even exists- when was a large majority of humans ever ethical, whether in the United States or otherwise?

Our roots are sorely barbaric. Beating and degrading women used to be entirely acceptable. Hangings and death matches were our entertainments.

I can't believe there was ever a collapse in ethics. Rather, I figure that those who figure such have risen and have gained some power.

This isn't a question about human history, but the crisis we are currently experiencing. The media has a general consensus that there is a major ethical dilemma in our country.

About our barbaric roots, you're totally right. On the other hand, look where we are now. Women being beaten is illigal, and so are death matches.

Does that mean these things don't happen? Of course they still do. However, society has progressed and although we are imperfect, no one can blame us for attempting to get as close to the ideal as possible, even if it is unachievable.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:29 am
mistercombine
An Ethical collapse in America. Hm, how would this have started... Fear. Yes, that's right, fear. See, in our society today, everyone lives in fear of causing a lawsuit, thus, any action they preform is judged. So, people live in fear of performing an Ethical act, such as stopping a robbery, or some such, because of that same simple fear.

To reverse this trend, we must refer to ancient wisdom. "Shoot the Lawyers" Sarcasm, yes, but we really need to limit the power of the law outside true criminal cases.

I think that the problem comes from a lack of fear of the law in the case of the people who commit ethical crimes. If a politician knew they would get caught and disciplined, would they buy their house a new bed with public funds? Probably not.

Yes you are right that the people who just sit there are don't report it are acting out of fear, or apathy, or even the belief that nothing would happen if they did report their boss embezzling.  

DioxazinePlum

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm
mistercombine

Yeah, like that guy that got sued for pulling a woman out of a submerged car, SAVING HER LIFE, but also causing her nerve damage, from pulling her out.

If he saved my life, I wouldn't care if I never walked again, I'd just be happy to BREATHE again! And yet, the ungrateful b***h sued him! The implication being "Don't be a hero, it's not worth it!" And that's sad.

People have become sue-happy. A guy poors hot coffee in his own lap, and it's McDonald's fault, for having HOT coffee? I know there are places that offer chilled coffee, but generally, coffee is served HOT! It's COMMON ******** KNOWLEDGE! And yet, the judge did not throw out the case, as far as I know.

And seeing as how judges have the power to throw out any case they deem to be unworthy, then I'd throw a lot of blame their way, for allowing these cases.

It is as you said, it's fear of being sued. God forbid I do something wrong, without someone suing me for it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:57 pm
Honestly, I'm not going to be too active in this one, as I'm probably in the category of degeneracy everyone wants eliminated. xD  

His Supreme Excellency

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm
Oh I could write an essay on all this for you guys... but I don't have the energy at the moment. Perhaps later.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 pm
DioxazinePlum
Let me rephrase in case some of the younger people aren't paying attention to the news. I was referring more to the unethical actions of the bank executives, which led to many of the economic issues we are experiencing. Example: Freddie Mac and AIG.

Also see politicians: Rod Blagojevich

Just because human nature is to be unethical (or is it?) doesn't mean that we should ignore the blatant negligence that our higher-ups are guilty of.
User Image

Too bad we voted for them. Besides people in positions of power are still people are our first thought is usually what benefits ourselves the most.

User Image

1zn3nhb54oih43loi1

JettaKD

6,850 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 pm
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

Yeah, like that guy that got sued for pulling a woman out of a submerged car, SAVING HER LIFE, but also causing her nerve damage, from pulling her out.

If he saved my life, I wouldn't care if I never walked again, I'd just be happy to BREATHE again! And yet, the ungrateful b***h sued him! The implication being "Don't be a hero, it's not worth it!" And that's sad.

People have become sue-happy. A guy poors hot coffee in his own lap, and it's McDonald's fault, for having HOT coffee? I know there are places that offer chilled coffee, but generally, coffee is served HOT! It's COMMON ******** KNOWLEDGE! And yet, the judge did not throw out the case, as far as I know.

And seeing as how judges have the power to throw out any case they deem to be unworthy, then I'd throw a lot of blame their way, for allowing these cases.

It is as you said, it's fear of being sued. God forbid I do something wrong, without someone suing me for it.

While I cannot comment as to the case of the woman in the first case, may I interject on the McDonald's coffee case?

Yes, it is to be expected that coffee will be hot and that burns will occur upon spilling the coffee onto oneself. However, in this particular case, the coffee was so hot that when dropped it gave the woman in question burns so severe that it fused her labia together and cause severe third degree burns on her lap and thighs. I realize it seems like a stupid case on the surface, and if the damage that happened did not occur, it would be a frivolous lawsuit. However, the coffee was much hotter that it should have been and McDonald's was, in my opinion, at fault for the woman's injuries.

Sorry if I seemed rude, but that case gets called a stupid lawsuit so often when the damage that occurred really was horrifying and severe.

As to the original question of ethics in banks and politicians? I personally believe that bankers and politicians have always been just as unethical (for the most part, as I don't believe all of them are this way) as they always have. If more? Then not by much. However, I believe they are being caught more often and are now finally being held more accountable for they're actions.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm
JettaKD
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

While I cannot comment as to the case of the woman in the first case, may I interject on the McDonald's coffee case?

Yes, it is to be expected that coffee will be hot and that burns will occur upon spilling the coffee onto oneself. However, in this particular case, the coffee was so hot that when dropped it gave the woman in question burns so severe that it fused her labia together and cause severe third degree burns on her lap and thighs. I realize it seems like a stupid case on the surface, and if the damage that happened did not occur, it would be a frivolous lawsuit. However, the coffee was much hotter that it should have been and McDonald's was, in my opinion, at fault for the woman's injuries.

I disagree. While yes, the burns were bad, and all, it was not a worker at McDonalds which spilled the coffee on her lap. As I understand it, she spilled it on herself. Regardless of how ridiculously hot it may have been, if you spill it on YOURSELF, YOU are at fault for the resulting burns. The temperature of the beverage is irrelevant. Who spilled it, is what counts.

Quote:
Sorry if I seemed rude, but that case gets called a stupid lawsuit so often when the damage that occurred really was horrifying and severe.

It's not rude to interject like that. That's how debate works.

Quote:
As to the original question of ethics in banks and politicians? I personally believe that bankers and politicians have always been just as unethical (for the most part, as I don't believe all of them are this way) as they always have. If more? Then not by much. However, I believe they are being caught more often and are now finally being held more accountable for they're actions.

That's actually probably true.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:15 am
Pink Rain Today
User Image

this is a very good point. an ethical collapse in the USA implies that there has been a paradigm of ethics achieved since your conception by the British empire...which let's face it is still the reigning world champion gold medallist at unethical behaviour. it doesn't seem you are comparing so unfavourably, and you guys really didn't stand a chance of perfection to begin with, given your roots...  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:31 am
village midget
Pink Rain Today
User Image

this is a very good point. an ethical collapse in the USA implies that there has been a paradigm of ethics achieved since your conception by the British empire...which let's face it is still the reigning world champion gold medallist at unethical behaviour. it doesn't seem you are comparing so unfavourably, and you guys really didn't stand a chance of perfection to begin with, given your roots...

Wait, Europeans are less ethical than Americans? That's hard to believe...

Hell, in America, people like me are allowed to roam around and basically yell "******** YOU" to anything we disagree with, without giving it a decent chance.

And Americans can blame every problem we cause on something or someone other than ourselves, SUCCEFULLY, and can shirk off responsibilities, and be lazy fat ********, yet be totally convinced that we are "Juicy" (or whatever girls have printed on the a** of their shorts, these days).

And, MTV will help us become famous as "singers", even if we have absolutely no trace of vocal talent, whatsoever, as long as we have a pretty face, and a hot body, and if we happen to be a teenage girl, then it's THAT much easier, because "America loves hot white jailbait a**" (quote taken from Family Guy).

Can Europe REALLY be worse?  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:52 am
black_wing_angel
JettaKD
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

I disagree. While yes, the burns were bad, and all, it was not a worker at McDonalds which spilled the coffee on her lap. As I understand it, she spilled it on herself. Regardless of how ridiculously hot it may have been, if you spill it on YOURSELF, YOU are at fault for the resulting burns. The temperature of the beverage is irrelevant. Who spilled it, is what counts.
Point of order: she was a passenger in a car that went through the drive through. The car hit a speed bump and the coffee was spilled. The spill was really nobody's fault. What was at fault was the coffee's temperature. It was literally near boiling. Coffee that hot is physically undrinkable, so why serve it at a temperature that's pointlessly hot? Hot coffee is hot, sure. Hot coffee should not be boiling.

Also, I'd like to point something out that bugs the ******** out of me:
Mark Wahlberg, aka 'Marky Mark'. As a teenager, he was convicted of aggravated assault and battery for beating a Vietnamese shopkeeper with a stick, permanently blinding him. At age 21, he and a friend held down Wahlberg's neighbor and beat him senseless for apparently no reason, leaving the man incapacitated with a broken jaw. The first offense had him sentenced to two years. He served 45 days. Being sentenced to more than one year means he CANNOT TOUCH A GUN EVER AGAIN by federal law.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Are those guns real, or props? My dad asked the BATF. They don't know, and don't care. They can't be ******** to find out. This is the ********. They'd come down like a sack of lead bricks on any normal citizen for this s**t.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff