Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Companies going Bankrupt Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 am
I'm curious about what Gaians think about the recession since a lot of us are fairly young.

Here is an article from BBC News
Chrysler to file bankruptcy

This is an open ended discussion, just throw in your opinions!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am
What I've been hearing is that the recession has been one of the worst in a long time. Though, in my opinion, I'd say its pretty normal. Eventually, it will bounce back. That's how the economy works.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 am
Dion Necurat
What I've been hearing is that the recession has been one of the worst in a long time. Though, in my opinion, I'd say its pretty normal. Eventually, it will bounce back. That's how the economy works.

Well my department is getting cutting back personnel so it doesn't feel so normal to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 am
A lot of companies end up not making enough every quarter to fund what they have currently going on, and some departments receive cuts. Then they bounce back, and hire more. Its a general process.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 pm
My personal opinion, is that our government is being stupid.

"Ok, we are losing money. So, to fix the problem, we'll throw billions of dollars that we don't even have, at major companies and banks, to keep them afloat".

Ok, so, we're going to fix a money deficit, by throwing more money at it. That's QUITE a bit like paying off a credit card debt, with another credit card. And anyone who's ever been in debt, can tell you, that you can not fix a money shortage, by throwing more money that you don't have, at it. They're essentially just digging the hole, deeper! Haven't these people ever held credit cards?!

And, worse yet, they're not giving the money to the PEOPLE who are losing their jobs, and their homes, and everything they've worked their whole lives for. They're giving it to the companies! THEY'RE GIVING MONEY TO THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ******** UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! Essentially, they're REWARDING FAILURE!

And what do these companies do, when they get their bailout money? "LOL! ******** DA INNOSUNT PPL! WE'Z RICH NAO! MILLYUN DOLLER BONUSES 4 DA PPL HOO FALED!

WE'Z GUNNA GOEZ 2 VEGUS!!!"

And, as not so surprising as that is, how many times does our government have to fall for that, before they realize, "you know, these companies are not going to use the money properly, so why don't we just give it straight to the people who actually NEED it?"

And here I always thought there was a certain intelligence level one had to possess, to be a CEO, or politician. And, wouldn't you know it, I seem to have been wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:24 pm
I claim Social Darwinism, in which, like Natural Selection, only the strongest companies survive and prosper. The Government is only delaying the inevitable by giving these weakened corporations billions of dollars in money we don't have. In fact, the Government is currently doing more to hurt the economy by sucking billions of dollars into "Economic Stimulus", than if a few business went out, and new ones rose, or old ones grew stronger.  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
mistercombine
I claim Social Darwinism, in which, like Natural Selection, only the strongest companies survive and prosper. The Government is only delaying the inevitable by giving these weakened corporations billions of dollars in money we don't have. In fact, the Government is currently doing more to hurt the economy by sucking billions of dollars into "Economic Stimulus", than if a few business went out, and new ones rose, or old ones grew stronger.

I agree completely.

A death to bring new life. A company dies, so that a new one can be born.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 pm
DioxazinePlum
I'm curious about what Gaians think about the recession since a lot of us are fairly young.

Chysler? That's an American company isn't it?

If that goes bankrupt, then that's bad news for America. My old Economics teacher said that if we continue to buy foreign made cars then we will have less money in this country. Less money means less buying stuff, which means less jobs.

I guess that's why China and the like are trying so hard to outdo us. And it's working.  

Elweezy

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm
Elweezy
DioxazinePlum

If that goes bankrupt, then that's bad news for America. My old Economics teacher said that if we continue to buy foreign made cars then we will have less money in this country. Less money means less buying stuff, which means less jobs.

I guess that's why China and the like are trying so hard to outdo us. And it's working.

Yes, but the problem is that, due to American worker laws, American goods are generally EXTREMELY expensive, compared to foreign counterparts.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:01 pm
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
DioxazinePlum

Yes, but the problem is that, due to American worker laws, American goods are generally EXTREMELY expensive, compared to foreign counterparts.

If they are more expensive then who the **** would buy it? Especially if the foreign ones are basically better. I don't know how they should resolve this issue, but increasing prices ain't of 'em.  

Elweezy

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:06 pm
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
DioxazinePlum

If they are more expensive then who the **** would buy it? Especially if the foreign ones are basically better. I don't know how they should resolve this issue, but increasing prices ain't of 'em.

American goods cost more, because American LABOR costs more.

In America, legally, one can not work for less than...what is it now..$6 an hour?

In other countries, people can LITERALLY work for pennies a day. Cheaper labor, cheaper products.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 pm
One company is bad. 500 of the richest? Disastrous.

". . . 84.7% Decline In Profits Among 500 Largest Companies . . ."

"From $645 billion in profits in 2007, profits dropped this year to just $98.9 billion - an 84.7 percent decline!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/19/sunday/main4954725.shtml

We're heading towards Depression. Will it actually happen? Who knows.  

Wilczurak

Elweezy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
DioxazinePlum

In America, legally, one can not work for less than...what is it now..$6 an hour?

In other countries, people can LITERALLY work for pennies a day. Cheaper labor, cheaper products.

Wow. I truely don't know how to responed to that. It looks like they have no choice but to up the cost. All they can really do is continue finding way to better their cars, in hopes of outdoing the competition.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:28 pm
unfortanetly gm has to drop one of their best made lines pontiac. tho i heard a rumor that gm is still going to keep the gto going.  

Akikan

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
black_wing_angel
Elweezy
DioxazinePlum

Wow. I truely don't know how to responed to that. It looks like they have no choice but to up the cost. All they can really do is continue finding way to better their cars, in hopes of outdoing the competition.

Exactly. The problem with THAT, is that the foreign companies aren't going to be denied, without putting up a fight. And they have "affordability" on their side, which is a POWERFUL tool.

A japanese car that would cost $17,000 vs an American car, that, at BARE MINIMUM price, probably costs at least $20,000, and both are about the same, in terms of style, size, and all of that. Which are you more likely to buy?

That's why "patriots" put so much emphasis on the "patriotism" in buying American, because if not for the "pride" of buying American, there'd be no justification in spending several THOUSAND extra dollars, for essentially the same car.

Patriotism vs Affordability, is what it really comes down to.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff