Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Celebrity News - Who cares? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:36 am
Do you follow celebrity news? Why or why not?

Do you think its an invasion of their privacy or their duty as a public figure?

Are we just a superficial society?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 am
User Image

In some article or other form of literature I saw celebrities, whether local or otherwise, being compared to that of the Gods. Whatever deity you will, they do, in some ways, represent that.

I think that psychologically, humans need something or someone to compare to and either keep them grounded, entertained, amused, or in good hopes.

Celebrities likely deserve more privacy than they receive, especially when being followed by the paparazzi, but there are some blatant exceptions; the cliche Britney Spears in her pantie-less, shaved-head extravagance is a good one. She's so ridiculously OUT there ... It makes for a good, quick conversation.

I like that recently a lot of what has been covered in the world of the famous is charitable things, or adoptions. Yeah, I glance at the gossip-y collumn in the newspaper.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

Pink Rain Today

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 am
Not especially. I'm not all too interested in what new scandal Britney's gotten herself in to.

To put it plainly, I dislike the paparazzi. The more you try to keep them away, the harsher they become. TMZ is a prime example of that.

Your last question should be fairly obvious. Of course we're a superficial society. We weren't always that way, but as time goes on, so do our morals.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 am
Dion Necurat
Not especially. I'm not all too interested in what new scandal Britney's gotten herself in to.

To put it plainly, I dislike the paparazzi. The more you try to keep them away, the harsher they become. TMZ is a prime example of that.

Your last question should be fairly obvious. Of course we're a superficial society. We weren't always that way, but as time goes on, so do our morals.

I think TMZ is single-handedly responsibly for the lowing of our IQs. I meant are we JUST a superficial society? Or is there hope?  

DioxazinePlum

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 am
DioxazinePlum
Dion Necurat

I think TMZ is single-handedly responsibly for the lowing of our IQs. I meant are we JUST a superficial society? Or is there hope?

Nah, I just have a very low opinion of them. ...Then again, I get my entertainment news from The Soup, so what do I know?

I'd say that there is no hope unless we cease being superficial and putting a value on things.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:09 pm
Not really. I get quick updates from TYT and What the Buck, but that's it. I have to keep track in pop culture or risk looking like a hermit or live under a rock. It's a very valuable rock to be honest.

Don't get the second question, but eh... if they don't sue over possible privacy invasions, the media will continue to post those stupid sex scandal stories.

I guess so.

Canadian Prime Minister recently was asked in an interview about two celebs marrying in BC. I forget who they were, but he said something like "I hope they do well" or something. I really have to ask the media why that is so important --;  

Misses Brinks

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm
Personally, I find it kinda dumb that people care more about what Britney Spears, Pamela Anderson, Hillary Duff, and Miley Cyrus are doing in their private lives, than actual world events. I remember some major political leader in another country, having died, and WE didn't really hear much about it, because people were too busy going ape-s**t over Britney Spears' custody battle with Kevin Federline. That's ******** sad!

Celebrities are just like you and I, they bleed the same blood, and deserve the same privacy. And I personally frown on people who go out of their way to know every detail about these people.

Some nameless 16 year old dies on a hospital bed, and no one cares. Jett Travolta dies, and "OH EM GE!! STOP DA PRESSIS!! DA TRAVOLTA TEEN IZ DED!!!"  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

I hate gossip, whatever its subject can be.

Privacy invasion is not ethical by any means. You can´t call it a duty. You can become a celebrity and be recognized for what you achieved, and that´s the only thing that matters. Private lives are only for each one of us.

But in the case of celebrities who expose their private lives on their own will (think of shows like The Osbournes), it´s a different matter.

But, and this is the real problem, gossip shows exist because of the public. If nobody watched them, they wouldn´t be there.

And we are a superficial society, for sure. We lost lots of core values, like, I use this example to stay in topic, self-respect (think of those who apply for shows like "big brother") which is the base to build respect towards others. Gossip shows or websites, and paparazzis are a living example of the lack of it.

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:23 pm
Meet Your Mistress
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

I hate gossip, whatever its subject can be.

Privacy invasion is not ethical by any means. You can´t call it a duty. You can become a celebrity and be recognized for what you achieved, and that´s the only thing that matters. Private lives are only for each one of us.

But in the case of celebrities who expose their private lives on their own will (think of shows like The Osbournes), it´s a different matter.

But, and this is the real problem, gossip shows exist because of the public. If nobody watched them, they wouldn´t be there.

And we are a superficial society, for sure. We lost lots of core values, like, I use this example to stay in topic, self-respect (think of those who apply for shows like "big brother") which is the base to build respect towards others. Gossip shows or websites, and paparazzis are a living example of the lack of it.

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain

Very true. But I'll note that, from what I've come to understand, shows like "the Osbournes" aren't actually as "real" as we think they are. The events are supposedly manipulated, to maintain viewer interest. After all, SOMETHING interesting has to happen, right?

And I thought the Osbournes was fine, it was something new, and something different, but all these reality shows, which serve as nothing but a way to bring has-beens back to the lime light, are getting old, fast.

Especially the "love competiton" styled ones. Why is anyone surprised that NOT ONE "Shot of Love" winner has stayed with Tila Tequila? These people aren't actually interested in love, they're interested in money and fame. And I personally don't believe that love works on a TV show. You can't find love, love finds you. That's always been my opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm
i think that its wrong for the public to know about a celbrits life with out the celbritys concent. gossip of a celbrity can ruin their career, marriagies, and family life. this could happen with or with out the celbritys concent. i mean look at the Holgans their whole family life was ruined because of the show.  

Akikan

His Supreme Excellency

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 pm
I don't give a crap about whatever celebrity news is out there. 99% of news in general doesn't concern me. Ever watched the nightly news and seen something about someone you know? I bet you haven't. I'd wager none of you have.

Why then does it exist? Because it sells. Plain and simple. You aren't going to destroy anything that's a profitable industry. And if magazines are paying in the 6 and 7 figures for whatever picture of whoever's marriage and getting a return on their investment, the disease will continue.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:12 pm
I believe that celebrity news is just something used as a distraction from the real life situations going on. Deception is the ultimate weapon.

Oh and I am new here and I am very glad to be apart of the crew.  

Hydra Alpharius
Crew

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:20 pm
Really, I tend to ignore Celebrity news, as I tend to find said people as more than a bit Eccentric and very VERY shallow. I, instead, ground myself with Theodore Roosevelt. At least he won't commit a scandal in the next twenty four hours.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 pm
mistercombine
Really, I tend to ignore Celebrity news, as I tend to find said people as more than a bit Eccentric and very VERY shallow. I, instead, ground myself with Theodore Roosevelt. At least he won't commit a scandal in the next twenty four hours.

I try to avoid it, myself. But, since it's ******** EVERYWHERE, it's kinda hard to completely avoid it all.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:24 pm
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

I try to avoid it, myself. But, since it's ******** EVERYWHERE, it's kinda hard to completely avoid it all.

Yeah I know. You can't go on any major news site without seeing a link to some celebrity crap on the side somewhere.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff