Reply 'Tendo Cult~
GameCube not reading disc

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spindra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:44 am
So, a while ago my brother dumped his old GC in our basement because he didn't have room for it and thought it didn't work. I had to buy a new AC Adapter for it, but when I did it powered up and it brings me to the menu screen.
The thing is it won't read the disc. As far as I know my brother only ever had one disc for it, some Tony Hawk game, and it won't read that. I was wondering if maybe it's just the disc or if there's other problems I should try to eliminate before buying a new game for it that might not be read.
I tried wiping of the lens, that didn't work. I am thinking it might have something to do with the fact that the fan and entire insides of the Cube were (and still are) coated with a thick dust that my brother let settle in his tree house. Could this possibly cause a problem reading the disc? It powers up and navigates the menu screen just fine, so I wasn't sure. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to clean off the fan, anyway, but I don't know how to get to it, seeing how it's inside the Cube.
Can anyone with a bit more experience with GCs help me out?

EDIT: Also, I just realized it's not spinning the discs, either...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 am
Hm... About time you got yourself a Wii maybe?  

Super Cheesio

Redpaige13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:14 pm
I had to same problem with my Gamecube. Whenever I popped in a new game, the disk would spin for just a teeny-tiny bit, but I'd end up getting a screen that said it was unable to read the disk.

I basically ended up taking it to a game repair, where they cleaned up the laser reader as best as they could, and when I got it back it worked! For about 3 days.

I've heard from other people that they've experienced the same problems with their Gamecubes.

I would suggest taking it to a repair shop and see what they can do. When I had mine cleaned up, in cost about $15.

EDIT: Actually, you could probably contact Nintendo about it.
Customer Service  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:14 pm
Super Cheesio
Hm... About time you got yourself a Wii maybe?

I'l wee u inn tha fayce!! (jk)

I think he's right, unless you wanna go forth and to garage saleing for another gamecube. (which is what I'd totally do, because I can't remember the last time I got a videogame that way <33)

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,075 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500

Spindra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:07 pm
@Cheesio & Kyro: Yeah, because I totally have money for a Wii. emo
No, but the only reason I'm bothering with the GC is because I found it for free. If I can't get it to work, I'm not going to buy any other system, I'm just going to be bummed for a while. But, I've never had a GC before, so I don't need one now. I just wanted to play Zelda.

@Redpaige: I think I'm going to try to disassemble it and clean it myself... if I can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 pm
Yeah, I had one that did that too. I wound up buying some compressed air and I tried that, but it eventually died and I had to buy a new one.

You could try the disassembling approach, I guess. There are websites out there that'll walk you through it so you don't wind up electrocuting yourself.  

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 pm
Used to have that problem awhile back. I did these things to get it to work.

1. Clean the disc. Actually clean the disc using something like this

2.(this I did just for the hell of it) Move the lens to the center of your GCN. My personal opinion if it moves back to its original place there is nothing wrong with your lens.

3. Now put the recently cleaned disc in the GCN then press the play button. If it is still going to the menu. Check to see if the game is warped.

4. If not warped open the GCN(while leaving it on) and spin the disc. I've had to spin a game before it would start spinning on its own.(Glad the game wasn't mine lol)

5. If it still doesn't work really look at your disc and see how many scratches it has since that might be a factor, although my SSBM disc could disprove that since it has scratches galore yet it works like brand new(can't say the same for its case(bought it used at gamestop)).  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:16 pm
He had it in a treehouse? No wonder why it doesn't work :/
It probably didn't appreciate having to play such a boring game either.

Anyway, since the GC goes for so cheap now, there's no harm in taking the covers off (I'm pretty sure you can do that with a screwdriver or something) and see if you can't clean it out.
If all else fails, just get one for cheap. It's worth it to play Zelda, after all.

smile into the chaos

Feisty Fatcat

'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces