Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Naruto Guild
(TOPIC CLOSED!) Low On Chakra: Has America Ruined Naruto? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the American dubbed version?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Reticence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:20 am
* TOPIC CLOSED, after two years it's time for it to end.

Low On Chakra | Has America Ruined Naruto?
Toonami and its Affect on the Hit Series [Reticence 2005]

Reticence

*Note--> First off let me say that I am well aware that there is a forum for the discussion on the Toonami release of Naruto. Although that is so, I have posted here for the simple fact that this is a much wider subject and I have become hopeful in getting some solid feedback from a post I take quite seriously... (Done On Notepad. Pardon Spelling Errors)

From the Beginning.
- - - - -
Ever since Naruto debuted on my birthday (September 10th) I have been watching it from time to time, only to turn off the TV in a near disgust as I ponder how I managed to sit through what had been a tormenting 30 minutes of an American attempt at a Japanese masterpiece. I have given the new Dub a chance, really I have, but after being a fan of the Japanese version for such a long time (and viewing every episode at least twice), I just couldnt stand sitting in front of the television only to watch one of my favorite series get torn apart in front of my eyes...

What Were They Thinking?
- - - - -
Although this is strictly my opinion, and completely worthless to some that might read this, I have found that this is the ultimate reaction to the American edited series that I get from most of my friends online and off. On my birthday we all sat there and watched eagerly upon the first and second episodes (against a few wills) to what turned out to be a full hour of laughing our heads off... Not prepared enough to believe what our ears were being served from the comonly loved Japanese Animation before us. I do love the fact that America has adopted Naruto. Soon to make it easier to get new item releases, figurines, and costume accesories without selling your soul to Ebay or waiting a year for your posessions to arrive from Overseas (not to mention the future release of a long awaited official DVD set loaded with extras and Japanese dubbing included). My other thought was the simple possibility of it becoming the next Pokemon or YuGiOh. DBZ was as big as ever in its time and still ranks today, but I just hope that Naruto's new found popularity isnt condemned to the commonly younger age group watching.

No Gore? Sounds Boring.
- - - - -
One of the things that hit me hardest, was the fact that they were to remove most of the scenes and attributes to this series that I found most entertaining. Argument 1... The "Kissing Scene" was removed from the American dub, and replaced by a cheesey freeze frame and awkward sound affect. This not only angered the Yaoi fans out there, but it took away one of the bits of humor that Im sure hooked a good percent of viewers everywhere. I can see how someone could be offended by that here in America, but not only did it last nothing short of a few seconds, it was a major hot factor that has only inspired most of the popular Naruto Yaoi today.

Argument 2... Haku. If you are familiar with this character (as most of you should be), you probably already know that there has been some question as to the story of his girlish charm. Some have even gone as far as to ask if he is really not a she, but for the sake of Yaoi I know better (Lol). American dubbers have seen this as an issue and have tried taken steps to correcting this, but only made it worse when the voice of Haku was in fact. A girls voice. I was shocked... I was expecting a manly voice to kill off the building confusion. Even the possibility of making him a girl so the relationship between Zabuza and Haku was a less controversial one. (Feed back on these arguments most welcome...)

And of course. Argument 3... Where did the blood go? If you are a fan of the original anime and manga, you have probably become familiar with the frequently bloody scenes in almost any episode. Anywhere from a battle gone bad, to the occasional nose bleed (A favorite of mine) have all been cut down to a very strict point. If the blood isnt on a piece of clothing or object, or if it is simply too much to be shown (like on every nose bleed scene) then it has most likely been cut and hidden from the viewing public. This was one of Toonami's down-falls in my eyes. I knew that if they put it on a prime time showing block that there would come many restrictions on to which they can allow the public to see... And that has take it's toll for sure.

Dont Get Me Wrong...
- - - - -
My love for Naruto has not dulled one bit, in fact, ever since the American release I have been buying more items and watched the Japanese versions over and over again, probably in hopes of erasing the American voices. Haha. But by taking in the simple fact that I felt I needed to post here once again, and that there was just too much on my mind to keep to myself, I have taken a step to post my opinions and concerns on here in order to obtain feedback from others that have seen it the same way, or even get a few bashers in here that hate an open mind. Never the less... I honor you for taking the time to reading my ramblings and look forward to your replies. In short. Thanks.

[R][E][T][I][C][E][N][C][E]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:59 am
Ya know what, Reticence?

I tottaly agree with you. When I sat down to watch the first English-dubbed episode of Naruto, I was almost excited. Then came the intro. All they did was take a few images, get a japenese song and then turned it somewhat into the credits. They also did that with the end also.

The voice of Naruto sounded like an 9yr old. AND it sounded like he had a sore througt.

Definetly, the un-dubbed versions are WAY better.  

Tenchikaimei

Animefanatic101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:08 am
I totally agree with you, I think it's really funny how they pronounce the names.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 pm
Okay, I'm confused. You hate the dub, and yet you would have been happier if they had made Haku a girl?  

Captain Verd

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:28 pm
Beautiful...! 3nodding
I feel the same way.
I don't like the voices [English version of course]. Mostly Naruto's. It just doesn't fit him...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:47 pm
ninja I aggree completly. As they began pronouncing many things wrong I almost broke my TV. And then Naruto pronounced Chakara Kat-tra, and I was outraged up until the point where the Hokage's son corrected him. Then I almost pissed myself laughing, becuase I was getting so worked up over it.

And heres something fun to do. Count how many times Naruto says "Believe it!" ninja

nintendonerd

Kuroi Ryuuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:02 pm
I am fairly sure he says it atleast 20 times per episode. Now times that by a hundred and fifty-seven. Oh dear sweet jebus! We'll have to hear that three-thousand one-hundred and forty times! eek

Glad I have all those episodes on disk... sweatdrop

And get to the Kakashi Gaiden! I want to see massive boulder death.. And see Kakashi get scolded!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:54 am
gonk crying I tried watching one episode when i was home from college on break. (only time i have access to cable) It was like a beautiful train wreck...So horrible, and yet, I couldn't look away til a commercial. I also couldn't stop laughing at their voices. I think they should at least try to get someone to sound like the original voice actors. Or is that asking too much? After that, I turned it off before my ears started bleeding. I'm glad I missed all of the editing or I would have been ticked! I refuse to watch it again now. I hate how they can't just bring something over without editing it. If it has to be altered to that point, then they shouldn't be showing it to that audience in the first place!  

Sonicoem

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:51 am
Hey I actually like the dub, the voices to me do sound somewhat to what they were in the sub and unless Im mistaken, in the sub Haku did have a girly voice. As far as taking out the kissing and the hand stab scenes I say it's not like they didnt acknowledge it. I do have to say having Naruto say "belive it" 20 times an episode is pretty annoying but I think they have cut it down some, like at parts you'd think he would say it, he dosent. All in all I personally like the dub and all of you who dont are just looking for something to hate just because it's a dub.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:47 am
yeah the vioces just suck! naruto sounds like a complete idiot!Well more of an idiot.  

BlackSharingan03

Akaritori

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:49 am

The voices aren't really all that bad... and from what I've seen, they haven't changed things too much.
There are no english voices that sound exactly like the japanese ones...
Give'em a break.
Answer to your arguments - they aren't allowed to show these kind of stuff on TV. children are watching it. if they did have it, it would probably be forced to be taken off TV.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:27 pm
I will admit that the dubbing does suck and naruto voice sounds like a 9 year old going through puberty, but all the others sound pretty good, I think it's just the diologe. xp  

Airashii_Enjuku

7,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Reticence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:58 pm

@All: Thank you so very much for your feedback~

They also added that silly catch fraze, "Believe It!!" and its making me cringe. Haha. But to those who argued that they liked it, you talk as if I completed despise the poor thing. Understand that Naruto is Naruto. And a few choice of words and oddly selected voices for some of the characters, plot changes, and censoring wont ever change that... *Bows*

After all. I do cosplay as Sasuke at every convention I go to... Its quite sad x3~

akaritori

The voices aren't really all that bad...

Answer to your arguments - they aren't allowed to show these kind of stuff on TV. children are watching it. if they did have it, it would probably be forced to be taken off TV.

First off. I think that one of the major components to the fact of why I dont care for the voices (besides being used to the japanese ones) is a hint of jealousy. If only I could dub for Sasuke << Haha. I can dream though...

Second, That is why I brought up the fact of Toonami. I think it would have been wiser to bring it into a time slot that fit in with Adult Swim's material. I know they have enough shows as it is, and that it wouldnt get too much younger aged attention as other time periods, but it would probably make more people happy (if you were one of those who hated the changes made).. But I find it humorous when they have a nosebleed and all you see are the tissues lodged in there head.

- - -

Let me tell you !! I went to Hot Topic yesterday and left as happy as ever... I found that they carry Naruto clothing now. Wristbands. And figurines MUCH cheaper there than you would get at conventions... *Confetti* You all should take a trip to your nearest store. Or look online (even though I dont know what exactly is online to begin with)...

Click here for the Merchandise Pages: Naruto @ Hot Topic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:36 pm
*#@$*% I HATE THE DUBBED VERSION, they ruined like everyone's voices! Some are alright, but Naruto!?! Dear lord, BELIEVE IT, SHUT UP!! *bangs head against desk* They made Haku's voice girly too!! Chouji is just ugh! Iruka, come on, just shoot me already! The only good voice is the Hokage, how pathetic! Well there is Konohamaru but that is only good thing the dubbed thing can pull off, both are annoying so it is pretty easy to do his voice. My poor Sasuke's voice....oh dear... Yep Sasuke Fangirl whatever number.  

fantasydreamer74

Reticence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:40 pm

@Fantasy: I knew you didnt like it. I hear about it every day at school... x3~
(Not that it is a bad thing or something. I just think its funny how... There's an echo) xD

Naruto Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff