Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Why does God's existence (or lack thereof) matter? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 am
Are reposts fine here? I had little luck in getting my point across amidst the stupidity and ambiguity that is ED today, so I thought perhaps I should imply what I mean here as well in hopes I get better reception. I should be studying for finals but that can wait because I truly am interested in hearing what you all have to say about this.

People always ask if you can prove that what you believe is factual (which defeats part of the purpose of faith). I never see people explain the significance in knowing. confused

I can imagine a large part of this is explainable by the fact that many think a) religion is stupid and detracts from one's intelligence, b) religion interferes with law, and/or c) religion is somehow an evil entity that must be destroyed for the world to know true peace.

First of all, let's make this clear - proving religion or disproving religion does not mean you prove God or disprove God, because God and religion do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. God is not a name given to any one specific religious gods. "God" is a supreme being, a superior existence that instigated the concept of creation and bears the concept of destruction. Life and death, per se. The beginning and the end. God has always been here, God has always simply been. God always will be. Who or what "God" is is left up to interpretation. This could be anything from the concept of a force to the very God that most of you think of when you hear the word - the Christian God.

Ah, the Christian God. I'll go down the list here. Letter A, religion is stupid. By what model? Science? This seems to be the popular answer to such a question, so allow me to drive that claim into the ground. I cannot say it any better than a fellow agnostic from LJ, so allow me to quote (and keep in mind I have posted this once before; here's to those who didn't have a chance to see it):
Quote:
I often hear people in this community talk about how "religion" scares them (more specifically, the Abrahamic brand) by retorting to the use of claims of social injustice, oppression, hatred, violence - the list goes on. It also supposedly promotes irrational beliefs in "fairytales" and serves as an excuse to remain willfully ignorant and bigoted. And while the fear of religion is all nice and dandy, there is one thing that should be feared more: "science."

It simply amazes me how few people seem to know anything about the subject; I hear statements like "I strongly believe in scientific method!" and it leaves me utterly aghast. What the hell does "believing in the scientific method" even mean? Scientific method is not a belief, an ideology, or a gateway to truth, and most of all scientific method is not an insight into the inner philosophical workings of the universe. Scientific method is, in all its glory, nothing more than a tool - a "belief" in scientific method is on par with a belief in a DeWalt power drill. For analogy's sake, consider the natural behaviors of the universe to be outputs of an invisible machine with invisible parts but visible products. When we drop a bowling ball from the Tower of Piza, we see a visible product (the ball falls), an invisible part (the "gravitational force" acting on it) and an invisible machine (the actual law which governs this behavior.) Science is merely the process of trying to build our own machine to emulate the outputs of the giant invisible machine, and scientific method is merely the tool used to observe what exactly the giant invisible machine's outputs are. That's it. There's no "belief" involved anywhere in the model. Or truth. Or philosophical commentary. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

And yet, "science" is neatly wrapped and packaged for vapid consumerism. Ignorant blokes run about spouting off things like "I don't like religion, I like science!" as if the two had even the remotest of connections; such a phrase makes about as much sense as "I don't like baroque art, but I like hydraulic car jacks." As the scientific process has paved the way for remarkable technological advancement, quality of life improvements, and all-time-high streaks of longevity, its societal benefits have caused its conflation from being a mere tool to a full-blown philosophy. Science has become to many a "pursuit of truth," and one's claiming to believe in its merits it allows a supposed moral high ground - I believe in science, and science is truth because it is empirically tested. Empirical testing allows for nothing more than the repeated refinement and accuracy of our models. It does not generate truth, it generates stuff like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There is no "truth" in the Moody Diagram. The Moody Diagram is simply a model generated by testing fluid flows at different velocities in different types of pipes. When an engineer or physicist wants to know how his fluid will behave given certain conditions, he/she uses this table to estimate the Reynold's number. That's it. Moody and his colleagues were not "pursuing" truth when they compiled the chart - they were simply testing different conditions and making observations based on what they saw.

Which leads me to my point: if there is anything science is not, it is a pursuit of truth. The second any scientist claims any of his/her work is truth is the second he/she stops being a scientist. If you take my field of proficiency, for instance, one of the first things stressed to civil engineers is that your applications of physics surmount to little more than assumptions and guesswork -there is always the possibility for things to happen that you do not know about. Our increasing knowledge of material behaviors, soil properties, and all such mechanical studies helps us make these assumptions and guesses more and more accurate, but they never stem beyond being just that; mechanical physics does not speak at all to the "truth" of natural law, it merely exists as a really damn good model that we keep making better and better.

And where am I going with all this? To be frank, I'm abhorred at the blatant and utter defilement of a once pure and dignified entity. Many draft up science to be some philosophical antithesis to religion, and in the process inject cultural and personal taint into a supposedly objective and chaste methodical system. If those of you who profess to love science so much are actually sincere, learn a thing or two about it before opening your mouth. Stop touting "science" as the provider your whimsical notions of truth and love and justice and equality and whatever other bullshit you fantacize about it producing.

Society does indeed have increasing problems with fairy tales, and I assure you it has nothing to do with religion.

With that in mind, I'd like to remind everyone that religion, including a lack thereof, is nothing more than an opinion - once you use it as a model for facts, you engage in argumentum ad ignorantiam. Antitheists are especially prone to this logical fallacy. Religion is not by fact "stupid" and those who are religious are not by default unintelligent. In your opinion, they very well may be. But a claim such as "ur stopid god isnt real" neither reflects your opinion as just an opinion nor serves as proving your point - it does quite the opposite.

Anyway, I digress from the subject, that being whether or not God's position as "real" or "fake" matters in the long run. Letter B - does religion interfere with the law? In many countries, yes, both directly and indirectly. Indirect religious influence is less obvious, of course, but still fairly evident. However, are these influences solely religious in nature? For instance, abortion and gay marriage. Opposition to both is often viewed as a religious stance, but neither are exclusively religious in nature, so it's impossible to state that both oppositions exist only because of religion. Furthermore, I'm not sure I understand what's so bad about religion being a partial model for law anyway. Most laws established by religion (emphasis on most) are morally or ethically sound. In any case, what else do we base laws on? That's right - opinions on how things should be run. It doesn't matter which way you cut it, the basis by which we create or enforce laws is about as logical as the next proposed basis. It's all established on emotions and subjective rationality, perhaps even a little cultural relativism. For those of you who complain that because you don't believe in X god or religion, you shouldn't be subject to religious rule, where do you draw the line? Take out the religion factor. Pretend those laws have nothing to do with religion. Now what do you blame? What do you get to pin these laws on so as to claim they don't apply to you?
Religion is, in fact, often used to control others. But this is not a practice only known to religion. Every single civilisation in the history of mankind has used some form of method to control the people. Without order, you can't have civilisation. Religion's effects on your life mean very little considering without religion there would still be rules by which you must follow.

Lastly, letter C - that if religion was out of the picture, the world would be a better place. First of all, it's impossible to know this. Coulda-woulda-shoulda issues can't really even apply because they can't be proven. But for the sake of the conversation, let's apply it anyway. Many wars and deaths and otherwise heinous crimes have been committed in the name of God and/or religion. However, religion is not particularly to blame here. Human beings are animals and we are often driven by the most basic of instincts. Instigating war, killing, and otherwise harming others are not religiously exclusive acts. You see them all throughout history regardless of the religious views of those involved. My point is that even if religion was out of the picture, these things would still happen. Even worse, people would find something else to blame for it.

A random point: even if you were to disprove religion, people would still believe it. Seriously, think about it. It's futile. Horrible and benevolent acts in the name of God will not disappear if God is to be disproven, so to assume that if God and religion were deemed false it would solve all the world's problems is to be irrationally dull about the subject. In my own opinion, of course.

I've brought these up only to finally suggest that religion isn't detrimental. All in all, religion and God may very well be concepts conjured up by humans. They also might not be. But why does it matter so much to the point where people will insult each other over opinions? Each opinion is not particularly as valid as the next, but they are all still opinions. Who cares who's right? You can't know for sure anyway, and as long as you're happy in your beliefs, others' beliefs should be none of your concern. You're neither better nor worse than others because of your religious views, so when you imply otherwise, be it through conversion attempts or through simple "no u" arguments, you're implying that there is room for improvement, which thus implies that your views are the model for such improvement. This is untrue.

I can only deduce that people ask others to prove/disprove God's existence 1) knowing it can't be done and 2) assuming that the result (or lack thereof, I should say) will somehow give them a remote amount of personal satisfaction. I can imagine this satisfaction allows them to believe that they have somehow accomplished something worth being proud over, much like a child would be after they conjured up some clever "your mum" retort and managed to get the last word.
I encourage everybody to explain this to me if they feel otherwise, though. I am genuinely curious as to what the significance is of asking an unanswerable question.

This is not meant to be an anti-atheistic or anti-theistic discussion in nature. It is, however, meant to be respectful. CAN WE DO IT? ED couldn't.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:05 pm
You've brought up a lot of issues in this post. I will first address your question "What is the point of knowing religion" and "What good does it do the world?"

This may seem like the obvious answer, but I feel like it has the most truth in it. People need religion/nationalism/relationships, etc., to feel like they belong to something larger than themselves, which in turn gives them purpose. For many people, without religion, they would feel they had no purpose in their lives. If you have no purpose, what would be the point of living? That’s where existentialism comes in to help us deal with the idea of “why are we living if there is no point”? For those who can’t understand that life is about making your own meaning, religion is essential. For those people, religion IS how they make their own meaning, which makes life worth living.

Science is the same concept. Science could (maybe) be viewed as a religion as it provides an origin story for the world and describes how the world is organized, however it is lacking the moral tenants that most religions have. Therefore, it doesn’t have “religious followers” per se as you said many falsely claim to be. However, it does provide a reason for the world to be in existence – to survive, evolve, and maintain balance. (This is comparing science to religion; I’m not saying science is one).

I will bring up the point that many cite to condemn religion – religious wars. Its not the religion that caused the war, it was men. This happens when people take religion too literally, and don’t accept that religion is a lens through which to look at the world, and is not concrete truth. Any Christian who tries to tell you that the bible is truth is crazy. You have to read the bible as a collection of moral stories, and take from it what you can.

Note: I consider myself agnostic/skeptic.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm
I wanted to emphasize that religion or lack thereof is a way of life, and if you're not religious, you're something else.

You're an American, or a gamer, or an athlete. You have to have something in your life to fill the void that is there, and religion does an excellent job of that for some people.

It also must be noted that everything I'm saying must be taken in the context of America, and not super-religious countries, like India or the Middle East.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm
To answer your question about why God's existence is important, it's rather simple. We are a species that thrives on knowlege, and knowledge generally requires proof. That which we can not prove, we generally don't believe, or struggle to believe, at least.

Now, there was once a time where humans could be made to believe ANYTHING. Dragons, unicorns, griffins, etc. Hell, during the dark ages, I would have been put to death, because the combination of red hair and green eyes was considered the sign of a witch/warlock, in hiding.

But, by the time technology has advanced enough, we've become so understanding of the world around us, that we no longer believe anything that we can not prove. Even a lot of God fearing people have to have that moment, where they "need him", or have to have some paranormal (or oddly coincidental) experience to "convince" themselves that he is real.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 pm
black_wing_angel
To answer your question about why God's existence is important, it's rather simple. We are a species that thrives on knowlege, and knowledge generally requires proof. That which we can not prove, we generally don't believe, or struggle to believe, at least.

Now, there was once a time where humans could be made to believe ANYTHING. Dragons, unicorns, griffins, etc. Hell, during the dark ages, I would have been put to death, because the combination of red hair and green eyes was considered the sign of a witch/warlock, in hiding.

But, by the time technology has advanced enough, we've become so understanding of the world around us, that we no longer believe anything that we can not prove. Even a lot of God fearing people have to have that moment, where they "need him", or have to have some paranormal (or oddly coincidental) experience to "convince" themselves that he is real.

I think a lot of younger more progressive Americas have already found no need for religion. What you are saying is interesting though, that we will one day evolve to not need religion, and it will be phased out of society.

I disagree however since religions have been around since the beginning of time, and I don't think an non-religious utopia is going to emerge.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel

I think a lot of younger more progressive Americas have already found no need for religion. What you are saying is interesting though, that we will one day evolve to not need religion, and it will be phased out of society.

I disagree however since religions have been around since the beginning of time, and I don't think an non-religious utopia is going to emerge.

Actually, what I'm saying is that, at this point, compared to 500 years ago, if it can't be proved, people don't want to believe it. 500 years ago, I could tell you that I saw a dragon flying through the sky, and you would probably run back to the villiage and construct a mob, and set out to find this dragon that I told you about. You wouldn't likely question my word.

However, today we have an interesting phrase "Pics or it didn't happen". Pretty self explanatory.

No, I'm not saying that religion is dying, necessarily, as there will always be the few who DO believe (such as myself), however, it's becoming more and more common for people to question their faith, and need God to "give them a sign". A lot of people had never been Christians, in their life, until something happened that made them either need him, or just have some spooky "paranormal experience", before they decided that God is real to them.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 pm
black_wing_angel

Actually, what I'm saying is that, at this point, compared to 500 years ago, if it can't be proved, people don't want to believe it. 500 years ago, I could tell you that I saw a dragon flying through the sky, and you would probably run back to the villiage and construct a mob, and set out to find this dragon that I told you about. You wouldn't likely question my word.

However, today we have an interesting phrase "Pics or it didn't happen". Pretty self explanatory.

No, I'm not saying that religion is dying, necessarily, as there will always be the few who DO believe (such as myself), however, it's becoming more and more common for people to question their faith, and need God to "give them a sign". A lot of people had never been Christians, in their life, until something happened that made them either need him, or just have some spooky "paranormal experience", before they decided that God is real to them.

At least in America, I believe that stems from the large amount of distractions we all have. Superficial example: A kid would much rather play videogames than go to church.

I see what you're saying about needing proof for religion, but there are also a lot of people that invent that proof in "miracles" or "signs". I believe this is the same thing the people of the past did.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:21 pm
The god debate is a useless debate.  

lmasdlkjasdoiajusdlknm

Liberal Genius

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 pm
AnarchoPhiliac
The god debate is a useless debate.

I disagree since most of the planet is religious.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:44 pm
God is relevant to mankind as I see it, due to that it provides an explanation to what is unknown, and to the majority of people, being fed information is okay and accepted if it is a generally held societal concensus. I briefly read a book about Philosophy and Spirituality and what it stated was that knowledge or ideas that fill the niche of wondering about the unknown is very significant to the human mind. Can't remember the exact details but I can write a bit more tomorrow if I reexamine the book. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure it's about "unkown" and "niches of knowledge". Good Luck with your finals btw! smile  

Rimama

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm
DioxazinePlum
This may seem like the obvious answer, but I feel like it has the most truth in it. People need religion/nationalism/relationships, etc., to feel like they belong to something larger than themselves, which in turn gives them purpose. For many people, without religion, they would feel they had no purpose in their lives. If you have no purpose, what would be the point of living? That’s where existentialism comes in to help us deal with the idea of “why are we living if there is no point”? For those who can’t understand that life is about making your own meaning, religion is essential. For those people, religion IS how they make their own meaning, which makes life worth living.
I definitely agree that religion serves as a factor of purpose or comfort to many. Most who feel this way are not particularly seeking truth though in that they are comfortable with how they currently hold their faith, so I am still curious as to how many go about trying to find a "truth" that will eternally evade us.

Quote:
I will bring up the point that many cite to condemn religion – religious wars. Its not the religion that caused the war, it was men. This happens when people take religion too literally, and don’t accept that religion is a lens through which to look at the world, and is not concrete truth. Any Christian who tries to tell you that the bible is truth is crazy. You have to read the bible as a collection of moral stories, and take from it what you can.
I very much agree. cool

Quote:
This I also agree with but in an unfortunate tone. I think the further we develop technological advancements, the further our maxim for pushing it to the limits expands, thus the further we drift away from the essence of humanity, if that makes any sense at all. I love science to death but us humans have a habit of pushing it too far. Not that this has anything to do with what you were saying...
However, I am hoping that with our development of intellect will follow the acknowledgment that not even science can tell us everything; that there are certain truths that exist beyond our mind's maximum intellectual capacity. Truths that are out there but truths that we can never know, per se. I sort the concept of "God" in any of its forms into this pile of truths. The truth of God and its existence or nonexistence is out there. We just don't know what that truth is, which is why we have beliefs. The day we forget of the concept of God is the day that science has truly failed, imo. Almost anything is possible.

Quote:
This. cool

Quote:
Good Luck with your finals btw! smile
Thank you! I've already done a few of them; so far, so good. The rest are on Monday and Tuesday.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm
To be frank, I don't care about Religion, as long as said Religion doesn't attempt to cram it down my throat. That means you, Southern Baptist Church.  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:19 pm
mistercombine
To be frank, I don't care about Religion, as long as said Religion doesn't attempt to cram it down my throat. That means you, Southern Baptist Church.

It'd be nice if everyone would respectfully keep their beliefs to themselves, wouldn't it? Militant belief really chaps my a**.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:35 pm
Silver Screen
mistercombine

It'd be nice if everyone would respectfully keep their beliefs to themselves, wouldn't it? Militant belief really chaps my a**.

Annoys the hell out of me when they start flinging scripture in my face and speak about my "Immortal Soul" being lost.  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash