Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Should Government Officials Resign for Personal Issues?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you fire a good goverment offical because he is cheating on his wife?
  Yes, I wouldn't trust him afterward.
  Maybe, it depends HOW he cheated.
  No, his love life doesn't affect his policies.
View Results

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:17 am
"There has been various controversies surrounding government officials. I live in New York where the there's been problems surrounding the governors:

Gov. Spitzer made good policies. Under his authority crime was down and it was pretty much as good as it gets for New York. Then he cheated on his wife with a prostitute, and got caught. He resigned immediately.

After this, Gov. Patterson came on. He is very faithful to his wife. Then again, he is a horrible Governor. He's taking so long to make decisions that need to be made quickly, that he is passing by good opportunities for New York. A lot of the problems we have now could have been solved if he had simply made a decision (whatever it may have been) about the issue.

The former was extremely talented. His reputation was shattered because he slept with a hooker.

Here's a completely legal case:

Gov. Jim McGreevy resigned because he was a gay man cheating on his wife. How, in any way, does that affect him being a good governor?

Discuss:
Is a personal issue such as adultery a reason to fire a government official?
"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:54 am
MayIHelpYou22102
"There has been various controversies surrounding government officials. I live in New York where the there's been problems surrounding the governors:

Gov. Spitzer made good policies. Under his authority crime was down and it was pretty much as good as it gets for New York. Then he cheated on his wife with a prostitute, and got caught. He resigned immediately.

After this, Gov. Patterson came on. He is very faithful to his wife. Then again, he is a horrible Governor. He's taking so long to make decisions that need to be made quickly, that he is passing by good opportunities for New York. A lot of the problems we have now could have been solved if he had simply made a decision (whatever it may have been) about the issue.

The former was extremely talented. His reputation was shattered because he slept with a hooker.

Here's a completely legal case:

Gov. Jim McGreevy resigned because he was a gay man cheating on his wife. How, in any way, does that affect him being a good governor?

Discuss:
Is a personal issue such as adultery a reason to fire a government official?
"

The reasons they resign, are as you put them "Personal Issues".

Whether they simply feel their reputation is shattered, or that their embarrassment impairs their ability to be effective in their duties, or whatever, they have found a reason not to continue.

And in the end, if you suddenly became dissatisfied with your line of work, would you not want to "quit"?

When you have media crawling under your skin, asking you embarrassing questions, or making jokes at your expense, it CAN really get to you. Too much stress on your mind, can ruin your abilities to be effective in your position. Isn't it better for them to say "Ok, I can't do this, anymore" than to keep going until they have a nervous breakdown? That is a good way to see "Suicide" in the headlines.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 am
black_wing_angel
When you have media crawling under your skin, asking you embarrassing questions, or making jokes at your expense, it CAN really get to you. Too much stress on your mind, can ruin your abilities to be effective in your position. Isn't it better for them to say "Ok, I can't do this, anymore" than to keep going until they have a nervous breakdown? That is a good way to see "Suicide" in the headlines.
Case in point: Budd Dwyer. Ate a .357 at a live press conference on a snow day. Lots of small children were home watching the news when it happened. The prosecution essentially bought two witnesses with a plea bargain, other aspects of the government protecting the ACTUAL corrupted politician refused to hand over evidence to help clear Budd, and it was essentially impossible for Budd to prove his innocence without it. He just broke down under the stress of being convicted of a crime he didn't commit, ending his incredibly successful career as a politician... and he ate a bullet.

But either way, you said every one of these politicians resigned. You can't really FORCE a politician to resign, you can only threaten him with prosecution if he did something wrong, and even then... I mean, look at Marion Barry. Mayor of DC, got caught snorting coke with a hooker, thrown in prison for five years. When he got out, he ran for mayor again AND WON. Also had some awesomely retarded quotes (topping the list, "There is a sort of an unwritten code in Washington, among the underworld and the hustlers and these other guys that I am their friend.").  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:17 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Case in point: Budd Dwyer. Ate a .357 at a live press conference on a snow day. Lots of small children were home watching the news when it happened. The prosecution essentially bought two witnesses with a plea bargain, other aspects of the government protecting the ACTUAL corrupted politician refused to hand over evidence to help clear Budd, and it was essentially impossible for Budd to prove his innocence without it. He just broke down under the stress of being convicted of a crime he didn't commit, ending his incredibly successful career as a politician... and he ate a bullet.

But either way, you said every one of these politicians resigned. You can't really FORCE a politician to resign, you can only threaten him with prosecution if he did something wrong, and even then... I mean, look at Marion Barry. Mayor of DC, got caught snorting coke with a hooker, thrown in prison for five years. When he got out, he ran for mayor again AND WON. Also had some awesomely retarded quotes (topping the list, "There is a sort of an unwritten code in Washington, among the underworld and the hustlers and these other guys that I am their friend.").

He shot himself at a press conference? Wow...

I rest my case....  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:58 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

I rest my case....
Yeah, it was in the late 80's. You can still find the video online, and Encyclopædia Dramatica has a page on him.

You ever hear the Filter song "Hey Man, Nice Shot"? That was about Budd.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

I rest my case....
Yeah, it was in the late 80's. You can still find the video online, and Encyclopædia Dramatica has a page on him.

So, what, did he mouth it, temple it, or jaw it?

I don't think I have the balls to see the actual video. I saw a "suicide" video on youtube once, and for the split second I thought it was real, I was mentally ******** up. I'd hate to see how I'd react to one I KNOW is real.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:43 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

I rest my case....

So, what, did he mouth it, temple it, or jaw it?

I don't think I have the balls to see the actual video. I saw a "suicide" video on youtube once, and for the split second I thought it was real, I was mentally ******** up. I'd hate to see how I'd react to one I KNOW is real.
He put it to the roof of his mouth, grip pointing away from him. I've got a picture of him the instant before he pulled the trigger, gun in his mouth, if you want to look...

Though the best picture of the whole ordeal is this one:

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 pm
This'll seem short compared to most of the other points, but let me go ahead and run with it anyway, hm? See, Personal issues, such as cheating on a wife, etc, etc. Should not be pulled into account of politics. It is what they do on their own time, after all. Now, if I found out my local senator was also a back alley crack dealer who ran a prostitution ring... yeah, maybe.  

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 pm
mistercombine
This'll seem short compared to most of the other points, but let me go ahead and run with it anyway, hm? See, Personal issues, such as cheating on a wife, etc, etc. Should not be pulled into account of politics. It is what they do on their own time, after all. Now, if I found out my local senator was also a back alley crack dealer who ran a prostitution ring... yeah, maybe.

So, are you saying that they shouldn't be able to resign, or that they should have the right to?  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:13 pm
I have to say that I am a little torn on this one. I don't think that cheating on your wife makes you unfit to do your job.

HOWEVER:

If you are able to betray your wife, how do I know you aren't going to betray me? It would be the same as discovering that a politician had been partaking in cockfights. If you are going to be so reckless with the law in your personal life, how do I know you aren't going to do the same when you're in office?

Its more a matter of being someone capable of betraying the public's trust, than about someone not being able to stay faithful with their wives, or the scandal.

If you can't control your own life, why should I trust you with mine?  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 pm
mistercombine

Being a crack dealer isn't the same as cheating on your wife, but its still in the area of things someone trustworthy shouldn't do. I said this in my post, but I see it more as proving that you are untrustworthy, than being about the act itself.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

I want to say that many of them don't resign out of fear of prosecution (cheating on your wife for example isn't illigal), but because they know it would hurt the department they work for if they stayed.

Edwards left the democratic race due to his affair, but this was more out of concern for the Democratic Party than for himself. It was about electing a Democratic president, not about him. Thats why he didn't show up to the democratic convention, he didn't want the event to be cast in a negative light due to his appearance.  

DioxazinePlum

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 pm
DioxazinePlum
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

I want to say that many of them don't resign out of fear of prosecution (cheating on your wife for example isn't illigal), but because they know it would hurt the department they work for if they stayed.

Edwards left the democratic race due to his affair, but this was more out of concern for the Democratic Party than for himself. It was about electing a Democratic president, not about him. Thats why he didn't show up to the democratic convention, he didn't want the event to be cast in a negative light due to his appearance.
That's still entirely his choice to make. He probably also knew his character was too damaged to win now, and he'd never be nominated.

Also, didn't Edwards have an illegitimate son?  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm
I don't think a politician should have to feel forced to resign due to infidelity. For cheating with a prostitute? Yeah, he probably should resign, since in almost everywhere in America at least, that's illegal. However, just normal cheating? I don't think that that should effect the way we see the person as a government official.  

JettaKD

6,850 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:26 pm
JettaKD
I don't think that that should effect the way we see the person as a government official.
Man, there's people trying to apply logic to emotion again. This is why Spock failed as a Vulcan.  
Gaian Discourse

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games