Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
a question about a certain "brigid's cross" - image posted Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:10 pm
i found a home protection spell that i really like, it is more of a talisman i suppose. it is supposed to be of bigid's cross, but it does not look like the brigid's cross that i am familiar with (woven in the center with the cross in a sort of windmill shape) in fact, i can not even find a picture in google images that looks like this one, it is more like a diamond shape made with sticks and tied off at the corners with raffia, hollow in the middle.

my question is: is this just a stylized representation of brigid's cross or can i petition it to another goddess (hestia, since i do not typically follow the celtic deities)?

either way is fine with me, i just wanted to know, thanks. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 am
Why not use a symbol or talisman you're more comfortable using? Maybe one associated with the Greek pantheon?

I wouldn't bother contacting the Irish deities. They're not all that helpful to those who aren't of the Gael. Although I hear things about Brighid.... don't ask me though.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 am
whiporwill-o
i found a home protection spell that i really like, it is more of a talisman i suppose. it is supposed to be of bigid's cross, but it does not look like the brigid's cross that i am familiar with (woven in the center with the cross in a sort of windmill shape) in fact, i can not even find a picture in google images that looks like this one, it is more like a diamond shape made with sticks and tied off at the corners with raffia, hollow in the middle.

my question is: is this just a stylized representation of brigid's cross or can i petition it to another goddess (hestia, since i do not typically follow the celtic deities)?

A Bríd's Cross is a pretty specific symbol - not one you can get away with ascribing to other deities or uses. If you can find another symbol more appropriate to your path and deities, I'd use that instead, and rework the spell's wording and actions to be appropriate for my personal use.

Anyway - what you're describing sounds to me like an "Ojo de Deos", and not a Bríd's Cross. The God's Eye weavings apparently are connected to the Huichol people, of Mexico, but I've seen every kind of meaning ascribed to the things from elemental workings to Christian scriptures. I personally wouldn't use one, but that's me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:25 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Why not use a symbol or talisman you're more comfortable using? Maybe one associated with the Greek pantheon?

I wouldn't bother contacting the Irish deities. They're not all that helpful to those who aren't of the Gael. Although I hear things about Brighid.... don't ask me though.

i'm not really uncomfortable using it, i really like it and i do have irish heritage, i was just curious if this particular symbol was a form of brigid's cross, even though it looks nothing like it. sweatdrop  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 am
Morgandria
whiporwill-o

A Bríd's Cross is a pretty specific symbol - not one you can get away with ascribing to other deities or uses. If you can find another symbol more appropriate to your path and deities, I'd use that instead, and rework the spell's wording and actions to be appropriate for my personal use.

Anyway - what you're describing sounds to me like an "Ojo de Deos", and not a Bríd's Cross. The God's Eye weavings apparently are connected to the Huichol people, of Mexico, but I've seen every kind of meaning ascribed to the things from elemental workings to Christian scriptures. I personally wouldn't use one, but that's me.

i understand that brigid's cross belongs to brigid (hence the name xd ) i just wasn't sure if the symbol i had found that was described as brigid's cross really was.

it doesn't look like this User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
but i can't find an online picture of what it does look like sweatdrop

and it doesn't look like this either User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 pm
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/5863/cmethod1.html

Something like Method Two?  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm
Morgandria
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/5863/cmethod1.html

Something like Method Two?

no, not that either. i may have to scan a picture of it so i can show you sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:35 am
this is it User Image  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:44 am
please help heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 pm
whiporwill-o
please help heart

I've never seen anything like that before, in connection to Bríd or Bríd's Cross. It looks like something someone would make without knowing what one looks like.

If you like the symbol but not the Bríd references, I think you could safely rewrite the ritual to include a deity you're more familiar with, or remove references to deity entirely.

Personally, though, I wouldn't use that particular object without knowing what it's meant to do. It seems very open, to be a warding or protective item - the person who created it might have more information that they haven't shared in the text of the spell regarding why they chose it.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Morgandria
whiporwill-o
please help heart

I've never seen anything like that before, in connection to Bríd or Bríd's Cross. It looks like something someone would make without knowing what one looks like.

If you like the symbol but not the Bríd references, I think you could safely rewrite the ritual to include a deity you're more familiar with, or remove references to deity entirely.

Personally, though, I wouldn't use that particular object without knowing what it's meant to do. It seems very open, to be a warding or protective item - the person who created it might have more information that they haven't shared in the text of the spell regarding why they chose it.

thank you very much 3nodding heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 pm
Looks like an eye to me. Maybe "watching the perimeter" or something.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Looks like an eye to me. Maybe "watching the perimeter" or something.

it does, never thought about it that way, thanks ^^  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 am
Just throwin' it out there xd Theoretically there's a reason that the writer of the spell chose that symbol and associated it with home protection. That's the sort of feeling I get from the image. A sort of "I see you there stare ".  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Just throwin' it out there xd Theoretically there's a reason that the writer of the spell chose that symbol and associated it with home protection. That's the sort of feeling I get from the image. A sort of "I see you there stare ".

lol, its kinda creepy when you put it that way xd  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games