Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Gay Marriage in Maine Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 am
Gay marriage is now recognized in Maine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8036671.stm

Those of us who live in California remember all the hubbub when Prop 8 was on the ballot (and unfortunately didn't pass - THANKS A LOT FRESNO).

What about your state? Do you see gay marriage coming anytime soon?

Do you want gay marriage at all? If not, do you realize that it shouldn't be your choice?

Also to be noted: DC passed a law stating that they will recognize gay marriages done in other states although they don't do them there themselves.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 am
I live in Indiana so I highly doubt it. Unfortunately gay marriage is one of those things that I'm more or less indifferent about. I try to care enough to stand up for a side but I can't find it in me. confused

I have weird opinions on gay marriage. It's not that I'm against it, but I think marriage is a load of bullshit people use for benefits and to rub it in the faces of those who aren't allowed to participate. I think marriage should be scrapped altogether. If you need a fancy ring on your finger and a glorious ceremony to prove to somebody that you love them unconditionally, then there's something wrong with your social skills.

The thing with people who oppose gay marriage is that they aren't doing it to be hateful (at least most of them, anyway). Usually when somebody opposes something, it's because they think that it's a social problem, and well-minded people are going to fight for the policies they believe will cultivate a better society.  

Kuchen Fairy

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 am
*rubs hands together with a sinister smirk*

Excellent...everything is going according to plan!

Soon, gay marriage will be fully recognized!  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 am
Silver Screen
I live in Indiana so I highly doubt it. Unfortunately gay marriage is one of those things that I'm more or less indifferent about. I try to care enough to stand up for a side but I can't find it in me. confused

I have weird opinions on gay marriage. It's not that I'm against it, but I think marriage is a load of bullshit people use for benefits and to rub it in the faces of those who aren't allowed to participate. I think marriage should be scrapped altogether. If you need a fancy ring on your finger and a glorious ceremony to prove to somebody that you love them unconditionally, then there's something wrong with your social skills.

The thing with people who oppose gay marriage is that they aren't doing it to be hateful (at least most of them, anyway). Usually when somebody opposes something, it's because they think that it's a social problem, and well-minded people are going to fight for the policies they believe will cultivate a better society.

Indifference prevents change.

How can you say that opposing gay marriage is not out of hate? The only reason to oppose gay marriage is if you think being gay is wrong, and if you think being gay is wrong you're a bigot. Hence, opposing gay marriage is out of hate. Again, here the word hate is the "hate" that is in "hate crime", not "I hate this movie".  

DioxazinePlum

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:51 am
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

How can you say that opposing gay marriage is not out of hate? The only reason to oppose gay marriage is if you think being gay is wrong, and if you think being gay is wrong you're a bigot. Hence, opposing gay marriage is out of hate. Again, here the word hate is the "hate" that is in "hate crime", not "I hate this movie".

I'm not indifferent to the point where I wouldn't vote on it if such a vote was called.

I've known a lot of people that have no problem with gays themselves but still do not support the legalisation of gay marriage. I'm still not under the impression that it's done to spite anybody. Not everyone who opposes such a thing is a sociopath.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 am
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

I'm not indifferent to the point where I wouldn't vote on it if such a vote was called.

I've known a lot of people that have no problem with gays themselves but still do not support the legalisation of gay marriage. I'm still not under the impression that it's done to spite anybody. Not everyone who opposes such a thing is a sociopath.

I just don't see how anyone can not be extremely angry that anyone's civil rights are being violated. I just don't see how anyone can be indifferent.

There is no difference between this and preventing marriage because of any other trait be it being blonde, your race.

We see it as a different issue because so many are ingrained with the idea that being gay is not the same as an inborn trait such as hair color or race.

I know that we are a passive generation, but I just don't see how anyone can not be strongly opposed to banning gay marriage (without fundamentally hating gayness), even if the only way you show it is with a sticker on a binder.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 am
I think the point I was trying to make with this post was that gay marriage is going to have to be a slow, underground kind of movement, gaining small goals and working its way up. One state at a time (and that doesn't mean that it won't be repealed as often happens).

Its going to be a slow journey, and not one giant explosion. This is about changing the culture of a country, not just about changing laws. That takes time. Centuries in fact. Just ask Mr. Wilde.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

I just don't see how anyone can not be extremely angry that anyone's civil rights are being violated. I just don't see how anyone can be indifferent.

There is no difference between this and preventing marriage because of any other trait be it being blonde, your race.

We see it as a different issue because so many are ingrained with the idea that being gay is not the same as an inborn trait such as hair color or race.

I know that we are a passive generation, but I just don't see how anyone can not be strongly opposed to banning gay marriage (without fundamentally hating gayness), even if the only way you show it is with a sticker on a binder.

Because I don't think marriage is an institution that should be around. if I believed in marriage I'd be just as angry as most other people. I do believe in equal rights, and like I said, if a vote was ever called in Indiana I'd certainly cast a vote in favour of it despite my views on marriage, but I'd much rather vote against marriage in general than vote for gay marriage. I don't see marriage being scrapped anytime soon though, hence my vote.
I can't imagine myself, even if I was gay, being able to get obscenely angry over such a thing because of my initial feelings on marriage in general. Can't say for sure though since I'm not gay.

I don't think such an issue should be voted upon, personally, which totally goes against my politics but whatev. Letting the people vote for others' rights is going to yield a wide array of results. The one that California got was one that a lot of people didn't like.

Things are slowly and gradually changing. It's only a matter of time.  

Kuchen Fairy

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

Because I don't think marriage is an institution that should be around. if I believed in marriage I'd be just as angry as most other people. I do believe in equal rights, and like I said, if a vote was ever called in Indiana I'd certainly cast a vote in favour of it despite my views on marriage, but I'd much rather vote against marriage in general than vote for gay marriage. I don't see marriage being scrapped anytime soon though, hence my vote.
I can't imagine myself, even if I was gay, being able to get obscenely angry over such a thing because of my initial feelings on marriage in general. Can't say for sure though since I'm not gay.

I don't think such an issue should be voted upon, personally, which totally goes against my politics but whatev. Letting the people vote for others' rights is going to yield a wide array of results. The one that California got was one that a lot of people didn't like.

Its not about marriage, its about the idea of gay people. Marriage is just an easy way to symbolize it. What I mean, is that your opinion on marriage shouldn't really affect your opinion on gay marriage, if you know what I mean. Which it seems like it doesn't. Sorry that didn't make much sense.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to have a conversation whether or not there should be gay marriage, more WHEN like you said. Well it has to be voted upon because it would be a change to the constitution. I agree though that this is a case where most people are too stupid to know whats good for the country.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 am
where i live, gay marriages are common and respected lol  

Syaru the succubus

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:19 am
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

Its not about marriage, its about the idea of gay people. Marriage is just an easy way to symbolize it. What I mean, is that your opinion on marriage shouldn't really affect your opinion on gay marriage, if you know what I mean. Which it seems like it doesn't. Sorry that didn't make much sense.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to have a conversation whether or not there should be gay marriage, more WHEN like you said. Well it has to be voted upon because it would be a change to the constitution. I agree though that this is a case where most people are too stupid to know whats good for the country.
Why not? I personally don't think gay marriage should be legalized. I don't think STRAIGHT marriage should be legalized. I don't think 'marriage' and 'legal' should be used in the same sentence. Marriage is a purely religious construct, and its very existence in our lawbooks is an affront to the separation of church and state. I'm all for a 'civil union' with all the same legal rights as marriage, but I'm still miffed that being married gives you special privileges.

It should be noted, however, that by 'not legalized' I don't mean 'illegalized', I mean 'unregulated'. Laissez faire. Marry whoever or whatever you want, so long as the Pope is fine with it. Or, y'know, whoever runs your religion.

And slightly more on-topic, there's no way we're going to see legalized gay marriage in this state. AZ is possibly the most conservative state without 'exas' in its name.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:40 pm
Fresnel
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

Why not? I personally don't think gay marriage should be legalized. I don't think STRAIGHT marriage should be legalized. I don't think 'marriage' and 'legal' should be used in the same sentence. Marriage is a purely religious construct, and its very existence in our lawbooks is an affront to the separation of church and state. I'm all for a 'civil union' with all the same legal rights as marriage, but I'm still miffed that being married gives you special privileges.

It should be noted, however, that by 'not legalized' I don't mean 'illegalized', I mean 'unregulated'. Laissez faire. Marry whoever or whatever you want, so long as the Pope is fine with it. Or, y'know, whoever runs your religion.

And slightly more on-topic, there's no way we're going to see legalized gay marriage in this state. AZ is possibly the most conservative state without 'exas' in its name.

Well, I SORTA agree, sorta disagree.

Just because the concept of marriage might be religious born, doesn't mean it shouldn't have a "legal" counterpart. Legal conjoinment garners legal benefits that should not be removed from practice, in my opinion.

I just think they need to open the boundaries of who and what you can marry. I figure, as long as the person/creature/whatever can legally consent to marriage, then congratulations, and I pray your children (if you have any) aren't as ugly as you are.*

*(that comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just me being a d**k, in the name of humor)  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

Just because the concept of marriage might be religious born, doesn't mean it shouldn't have a "legal" counterpart. Legal conjoinment garners legal benefits that should not be removed from practice, in my opinion.

I just think they need to open the boundaries of who and what you can marry. I figure, as long as the person/creature/whatever can legally consent to marriage, then congratulations, and I pray your children (if you have any) aren't as ugly as you are.*

*(that comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just me being a d**k, in the name of humor)
You may have a point. A civil union isn't a bad thing (though these days it's pretty useless), but the gays who demand MARRIAGE and nothing short will do need to be c**k-slapped, and not in an enjoyable way.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:51 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

You may have a point. A civil union isn't a bad thing (though these days it's pretty useless), but the gays who demand MARRIAGE and nothing short will do need to be c**k-slapped, and not in an enjoyable way.

Well, they're just looking for COMPLETE equality. If they can have the same thing, same legal benefits, and everything......but they can't call it the same thing, then that's still discrimination, because it's not 100% equality.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
DioxazinePlum
Silver Screen

Well, they're just looking for COMPLETE equality. If they can have the same thing, same legal benefits, and everything......but they can't call it the same thing, then that's still discrimination, because it's not 100% equality.
I've seen someone bitched out for supporting a 'civil union' with all of the same legal rights as marriage. That's all the government can GIVE you. But no, because it's not CALLED marriage, it's NOT marriage. Rose by any other name, ********.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff