Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Decline of Newspapers Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 am
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Look-for-the-Newspaper-tsmp-15164125.html?.v=1

We've all been hearing about the decline of newspapers due to the internet. Do you think that newspapers should continue, or just give up and go completely online?

Things to think about:
- Amazon's kindle. Could this save newspaper subscriptions?
- How is a newspaper going to make money when its free online? Should we have to pay to view the news online?
- Will you miss actual paper?
- What about all the poor old factory workers that print the paper?  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 am
DioxazinePlum
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Look-for-the-Newspaper-tsmp-15164125.html?.v=1

We've all been hearing about the decline of newspapers due to the internet. Do you think that newspapers should continue, or just give up and go completely online?

I'm not really sure, on that one. It could work as an online-only thing, but people who don't have computers, would be ******** class="quote">
Quote:
Things to think about:
- How is a newspaper going to make money when its free online? Should we have to pay to view the news online?

Well, we pay to read it on paper, so why not? I'm specifically referring to "local" news, however.

And with "classifieds" they could charge the same fees they charge to post them in the paper, to post them online.

It could work, I think.

Quote:

Not until christmas, when I have nothing to wrap "fragile" things in, to keep them from breaking.

Quote:

They could shift to focus on another material product.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:50 am
Does anyone here actually read paper news? I don't know anyone my age that does, its all online.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 am
black_wing_angel

I'm not really sure, on that one. It could work as an online-only thing, but people who don't have computers, would be ********/>

Its very true that going online would isolate knowledge in the hands of those who can afford it.

Then again, I really don't see how anyone without a computer can live.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 am
I think for a lot reasons, this issue is more important than it may seem at first glance.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 am
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel

I'm not really sure, on that one. It could work as an online-only thing, but people who don't have computers, would be ********/>

Its very true that going online would isolate knowledge in the hands of those who can afford it.

My dad has managed to, for 51 years now. I've seen him use a computer maybe 5 times. And not one of these times, had he ever owned the computer he was using.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:25 am
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel

My dad has managed to, for 51 years now. I've seen him use a computer maybe 5 times. And not one of these times, had he ever owned the computer he was using.

Nuts. How does the man pay his bills!? Joking, of course.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:43 am
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel

A little thing they call "snail mail". Apparantly it's like Email, but not nearly as fast, and you have to actually WRITE words yourself, so spell check is out.

Also, he lives in a house where he doesn't have much bills. He gets his water from a well (not kidding). There's a well, which has an electric pump that pumps it to the house itself...it's rather odd, but it works.

He pays for Satalite, and Electricity, and rent. I think that's it...  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Akikan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:59 pm
i would miss the newspaper at least u know the name of the person who wrote the article. making it more credible. i dont bealive 3/4 of the s**t that i read on the inernet.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 pm
If they think they'll get more money, than by all means, go online. But if it means forcing them, I disagree. I love reading the newspaper, it's fun. I don't want to have to go online just to read the Citizen.  

Misses Brinks

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 pm
i read news on paper sporadically throughout the week...it's usefull to stockpile in the studio too...and in winter we have a fire, so it comes in very handy. :p

apart from that there is something rather pleasant about the physical article. i was a little bit sad when britain's broadsheet newspapers shrank their format to magasine size i quite enjoyed holding such big sheets of paper. also i seem to notice more in a physical paper than online, maybe it's the glazed over thing which happens skimming too many web pages in a row. and, it's is very comforting on a sunday morning to sit in bed nursing a hangover with a wekend newspaper even if it is a bit granny.

online papers make money from advertising just like google, but printers would go bust...traditional printing is already obsolete and exists now solely as an art form (i studied it at college for a year) so if physical newspapers ceased to exist a lot of people would be out of work.

with the news it seems increasingly likely that one day they will just stop printing, and the nature of the interwebs lends itself to constantly updated news...but what about books? is their future safe? could you read a book in electronic format or would it just feel wrong?  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:09 am
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel

A little thing they call "snail mail". Apparantly it's like Email, but not nearly as fast, and you have to actually WRITE words yourself, so spell check is out.

Also, he lives in a house where he doesn't have much bills. He gets his water from a well (not kidding). There's a well, which has an electric pump that pumps it to the house itself...it's rather odd, but it works.

He pays for Satalite, and Electricity, and rent. I think that's it...
Wells are rare now...? Christ, we've got three wells on this property, two of them work, and between the pair of them they feed 20,000 gallons' worth of storage tanks. Seems excessive until you notice there's not a single fire hydrant in twenty miles. The tanks all have hydrant hook-ups built in for the fire trucks. But yeah, in the long run we pay for electricity and phone. We work for the ISP so we get free internet, we still run off aerial TV, the well's electric, we own the house... Yeah, power and phone.

Anyhow, I know there's a lot of people out there who do buy a paper for different things. Most of all coupons. You don't get Sunday coupons online. Personally, if I gave two shits about media outlets for my news, I'd buy a paper. I just can't read publications on a computer screen. I can read entire pages of Gaia, but if I read a book I get this terrible headache for some reason. It has to be in print.

Also, as Angel said, newspapers have their own uses. How else will we make papier-mâché? What will our rabbits poop on?  

Fresnel

Citizen

The Curse

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:59 pm
You can probably actually thank Rupert Murdoch that newspapers are still as strong as they are.

Much to the chagrin of his ceo's who want to sell them, he has quite the taste for newspapers, and he owns many all around the world.

Personally, I find it very saddening, I very much like newspapers, and their form of media reporting. I do not think they will die any time soon however. They will be reduced significantly though. Thinking a few national papers and local ones in bigger cities, regional ones in populace regions, but that's it.

Some papers have already gone online, most have actually I would think, but some will make you pay to read their articles via subscription or something similar (e.g. financial times).  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:58 pm
The Curse
You can probably actually thank Rupert Murdoch that newspapers are still as strong as they are.

...now there's a sick thought...  

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

Rimama

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Never heard of it

A newspaper could try it but would most likely have a tough time getting people to pay as there is already a culture or concensus that everything on the internet is free so unless it appealed to a certain niche of people that had few other ways of accessing desired aforementioned information, as for general newspapers, it will probably not work, what will probably happen is that there will be more advertisements. On BBC for instance there is nearly always a 15 sec. commercial before every video starts regardless of length.

A bit since it has its charms and the fact that my eyes aren't strained when I read it smile red eyes are not ftw

This has nearly always been an argument to preserve something old when a new technology comes along, if we want society to progress old things should not be in our interest to keep on life support, particularly if it raises inefficiency in economic terms. Technology and society evolves, that's really something people need to keep in mind. So they'll have to find new jobs, jobs change as functions in societies change as well so they'll have to adapt, one can't truly base a society upon "life support" and while my utmost sympathy goes out to them this is quite cold and harsh reality as I see it.

My 2 cents  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces