Reply Avatar Talk
Have you been cloned? Outfit Thievery. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Outfit thievery -
  Is no big deal. Spread the inspiration.
  Is petty. Why can't they create their own?
  I love it. Imitation is the strongest form of flattery.
  Touch my item combos and face my wrath? D=
  Accidents happen, but if they did it on purpose I'd be upset.
  Who the hell cares?
View Results

Kalandra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:11 am

Just out of curiosity, have any of you experienced imitiation here on Gaia?
Have you sported an outfit proudly and watched someone you know steal it right out from beneath you? Has it happened more than once?

Did it irritate you, or if you never experienced this what do you imagine your reaction to be?

I'm curious how many people have been mimicked, and how many people who put forth effort into their attire actually end up upset over this. Give me your input? =3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:13 am

Apparently this is a redundant problem with me. I think part of the blame goes to Chatterbox, where I post most often and have met most of my now lovely friends. I've never had anyone from another forum swipe an outfit item for item.
And yes, it bloody frustrated me. Especially when it is always the same few people doing it, over and over.

Kalandra

Crawlerette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:35 pm
I did have someone recreate my Grammar Nazi outfit, only with gray instead of green, and they admitted to using my outfit as a base. It's very irritating. stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:13 pm
My outfits are really too boring to be copied. XD  

Morwen Laicoriel

laFred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:01 pm
Once when I had a male avatar. But this guy PMed me and said something like, "I like your outfit, mind if I take your idea?" I didn't really care. Didn't think it was all that amazing.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:56 pm
I hated when I went into the AT and people would say I was unoriginal. When I just made it up. But life goes on always another avi to create.  

aisuakuma

Thirteenth Member

Kalandra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:03 pm

Yay. Responses. xDD

Crawlerette: Just enough of an edit to aggravate you, eh? Oh yes, I'll relate to that. x__x;;

Morwen: Psh. I highly doubt that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Fred: To me, that guy sounded pretty damn nice about it. He complimented and requested permission to use it. That wouldn't bother me at all, no. I'm glad you've had such an experience.

Aisuakuma: I think everyone has been called that at one point. It is bound to happen, after all. I just brush most comments like that one aside.

Kalandra

Morwen Laicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:55 am
Kalandra

Morwen: Psh. I highly doubt that.

Well, at the very least, I've never seen anyone do it. Although part of it could be I change my avi at least once a day--so they probably don't see stuff in time to copy it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:33 am
There was a period where someone made a mule named "Billious" (<-- note the two L's) and dressed him up like a white-haired version of my pirate avatar... that was amusing. xd

ANYhoozle, wow... I have so many guilds I never post in. O.o

Bilious

Sparkly Wolf

11,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:26 pm
I've had it happen on more then one occasion. I've also had it be so severe, as in they matched my outfit perfectly [mostly minus the d-tail] that people have actualy PMed me.

The first few times it was amusing, then people started just seeing me in a rate me thread and changing into the outfit right before my very eyes. What annoys me the most is people who are now regulars in the AT who still where the outfits they cloned of me as their trademakr avatar. Then I get yelled at saying I copied so and so, even if someone wheres it briefly it realy irks me when people rate me and tell me I copied someone when its the other way around.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:30 pm
Id be complimented if I were copied ... but then when new items come out ... so many people are wearing it ... it's hard to know who's outfit is really original or not.  

Miss Puu

[ddrfreek]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:44 pm
Can't say I've ever noticed it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:57 pm
I've been accused more then once of copying candycrack rofl which I never did (anything simular was coincidence) plus I think we have different tastes for sure.

Accidents happen, but if they did it on purpose I'd be upset
Thats how think of it. Sometimes I will see someone, never met them before, and they have some things in my common with my avatar (or maybe I had the idea after them-doesn't matter it was just coincidence).

HOWEVER, when people purposely take your idea, item per item, that isn't cool. The worst incidence of this that happened to me was from this fan stalker girl who got every item my avatar was wearing except for 2 more expensive items (even got same hairstyle and eyes at the time) then paraded around posting where I posted gonk . Luckially she went away after 2 weeks, probably to stalk someone else, and I was at ease again. Purposely copying just ain't cool.

And most of the time copying someone isn't funny even if they meant it to be, better be safe then sorry.

Dorg Endo

FrozenFyre
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:07 pm
yea, i've had that happen to me before. it is rather annoying, but there are cases where two persons outfits are very similar but then didn't even know each other made the same avatar. funny things happen like that xd  

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games