Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Refusing medical treatment. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 am
...the ******** is this?

Boy forced by court to undergo cancer treatment.

Basically the story is that the kid has lymphoma and, with conventional methods of medicine, has a 90 percent chance of surviving. The boy wanted to settle for natural medicines - but medical professionals told his family that he'd probably die. So a judge rules that the boy must undergo the treatment.

What in sam hill? You mean to tell me that you can legally force an able-bodied person to undergo strenuous and damaging treatment against their wishes? You can force them into chemo?
I don't know about you guys, but if I had cancer and decided not to undergo chemo, I'd expect the law to respect my decision. How can you force somebody to do something they don't want to do when it's hurting nobody else and they feel it's best for them?
I mean, I understand he is a minor. The kid is thirteen. But is this not his body and his life? I can't believe these officials had the nerve to play the age card here, saying "oh well he doesn't really understand what he wants" and the same such bullshit actually flew in court. ******** you, seriously.

I'd personally rather die than allow somebody to make medical decisions for me if I was in the right mind to make them myself. talk2hand How could you imprison a boy inside his own body? Chemo is a big deal and I don't blame anybody who opts to pass on it.

What say you? Do you think it is your right to refuse medical treatment for whatever reason you deem fit?  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 am
Well THAT's bullshit.... confused

One can be forced to undergo treatments against their wishes?

Whatever happened to bodily domain? If you're ok with dying, then so be it! Didn't they consider that maybe he only wants natural medicine, due to religion or spirituality?

It's unconstitutional, and the boy should contest it in the supreme court! They can not constitutionally force medicine on someone who does not want it. It's a violation of bodily domain. Heh, I bet they're going to make him PAY for the procedure, too...  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:42 pm
"That's Bull! I'd understand if it was just the kid fighting for it, but the parents agreed? Bull!

It's like when I once went to an abortion thread and it said a woman was forced to have a C-section which killed her (Don't ask me what that has to do with abortion). A person should have control how they live or die as long as it is within the law. Treating your sicknesses with natural medicines is within the law. That's completely against their rights! I hope this ruling is overturned.
"

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:06 pm
MayIHelpYou22102
"That's Bull! I'd understand if it was just the kid fighting for it, but the parents agreed? Bull!

It's like when I once went to an abortion thread and it said a woman was forced to have a C-section which killed her (Don't ask me what that has to do with abortion). A person should have control how they live or die as long as it is within the law. Treating your sicknesses with natural medicines is within the law. That's completely against their rights! I hope this ruling is overturned.
"

I'm sure it will.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Myhrie

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Although I know the idea was to be out for the best interest of the child, I think this is an unnecessary control over what should be a family decision.

If the child wanted the chemo and the parents didn't want him to have it, then I would understand going with the child's desire. Because it's his body and he seems old enough to understand what the chemo implies.

But when no one in the family wants him to have it, it seems to be going a little far to force him to do something so dramatic. It's his life and body and it's not their place to decide what he and his family should do regarding it.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm
Plexiglass Prism
Although I know the idea was to be out for the best interest of the child, I think this is an unnecessary control over what should be a family decision.

If the child wanted the chemo and the parents didn't want him to have it, then I would understand going with the child's desire. Because it's his body and he seems old enough to understand what the chemo implies.

But when no one in the family wants him to have it, it seems to be going a little far to force him to do something so dramatic. It's his life and body and it's not their place to decide what he and his family should do regarding it.
Oh dear god please change your color. That's unreadable.

I actually ran into one doctor's idea of a natural cure for cancer:

1) Daily enemas
2) Veganism
3) Drinking nothing but citrus juices
4) Eating skinned grapes by the fistful

Though it should probably be noted that 'daily enemas' is listed in this book as a cure for literally anything from headaches to acne to asthma to cancer.  

Fresnel

Citizen

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 am
Fresnel
Plexiglass Prism

1) Daily enemas
2) Veganism

Though it should probably be noted that 'daily enemas' is listed in this book as a cure for literally anything from headaches to acne to asthma to cancer.
"... I'd take the headache. Thank you!"

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:31 am

She burns like the sun, and I can't look away

Having gone through radiotherapy and experienced all the side effects, it's not a very nice thing to go through, regardless of whether it's an easily survivable cancer. I mean, I'm glad I had radiotherapy rather than having my nose removed, but it's pretty s**t all the same.
She'll burn our horizons, make no mistake.

Kats Scratches

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:38 am
Kats Scratches

Having gone through radiotherapy and experienced all the side effects, it's not a very nice thing to go through, regardless of whether it's an easily survivable cancer. I mean, I'm glad I had radiotherapy rather than having my nose removed, but it's pretty s**t all the same.

Yeah, see, I would have problems with the whole "losing your hair" thing.

I think I'd seriously rather just die, than to go bald...

And yes, I know that's ******** sad.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:42 am
Fresnel
Plexiglass Prism

1) Daily enemas
2) Veganism

So, basically, doctors these days, are the "a**l sex craving boyfriend" of the medical world?

Why does that not surprise me?

"Hello Mr. Angel, what can ramming a hose up your a**, do for YOU today?"  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:30 pm
Really, that's... something. Hm, well, freedom of choice really. That and natural selection would weed him out for stupidty. Humanity wins!  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 pm
mistercombine
Really, that's... something. Hm, well, freedom of choice really. That and natural selection would weed him out for stupidty. Humanity wins!
I wouldn't say stupidity. Chemo's no 'take two and call me in the morning'. It'll ******** you up.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:39 pm
Fresnel
mistercombine
I wouldn't say stupidity. Chemo's no 'take two and call me in the morning'. It'll ******** you up.

This.

Not everyone might be willing to go through the dangers of chemo. And why should they?  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:51 pm
black_wing_angel
Kats Scratches

Man, if I can survive being bald, you can.

But my nose is important! I'm glad I still have it!

Kats Scratches

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:39 am
Kats Scratches
black_wing_angel
Kats Scratches

Man, if I can survive being bald, you can.

But my nose is important! I'm glad I still have it!

You've never seen what I look like bald. I have.

I've seen the difference in how people look at me, since I've grown it. I've seen the difference in how I see myself.

And I have no intention of ever going back.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff