Submit

So, where to?
  Mountains
  Island
  Road Trip! (Tundra)
View Results

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 am
Alright, so i'm in another mood to pit two ideas against teach other, this time regarding terrain.

So, you might have seen this question in a recent post of mine, but as some of you might know, I live in Florida. Swamps to the south, forest in between, cities all around. All of which are bad areas to find refuge from zom-zoms.

So, in considering my plans, i came to a standstill; do i head north into the mountains, or so i head to the coast and find an island?

Personally, i like the idea of mountains; nice cool weather, steep cliffs, yet still vegetation and game to hunt. Humans have lived up there for generations and im sure its pretty hard to climb a cliff if your rotting. Thing is, it would be a long drive to the Appalachian Mountains, and thats alot of ground to cover out in the open.

Then again, the idea of an island is nice, granted if its big enough to hold its own wildlife, natural water source, and vegetation. It also wouldnt be hard to get to, since your never more the 50 miles away from the coast here, and hi-jacking a boat wouldnt be so difficult. Thing is, the problem of zombies walking around the ocean floor and crawling up on the beach isnt a pleasant idea either.

From what i read, the tundra is the ideal terrain, as its pretty cold for zombies but not unbearable for humans, wide open plains to spot the rotters, and enough of an ecosystem to make a living. Problem is, thats a damn long away from me and i was looking for other options.

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:37 am
I would say mountains. When things finally revert back to normal and zombies are no longer an issue you will find out a lot quicker and be able to go back to a "normal" life. If you need more supplies you can semi-easily go down to a town and re-stock instead of being screwed on an island somewhere.

Personally I would choose open plains like that of West Texas, Arizona, or Kansas.  

Freak_090
Captain

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 am
Depends on which island I could reach.

Problem is, too many people might have the exact same idea. The idea now is to figure out someplace that isn't too remote or extreme in weather to be sustainable for 6 months or more.

Perhaps a bunker on an island, a la the Swan bunker from Lost. Down the hatch for the win.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:57 pm
Floyd

Problem is, too many people might have the exact same idea. The idea now is to figure out someplace that isn't too remote or extreme in weather to be sustainable for 6 months or more.

Perhaps a bunker on an island, a la the Swan bunker from Lost. Down the hatch for the win.

Could you please explain that mind ******** of a show for me?

At least, what the hatch is? That's all ive ever wanted to know, and every time i ask, people give me the "its too complicated, just watch the show" excuse.  

Anima_Raptor

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:18 pm
Anima_Raptor
Floyd

At least, what the hatch is? That's all ive ever wanted to know, and every time i ask, people give me the "its too complicated, just watch the show" excuse.

I couldn't get past why and how that guy could have two or three handguns unlocked in a locked case with ammunition checked into an airplane.

I know you can check a firearm under a plane but I think you have to have the slide off or open and I don't think you can have any ammo at all, even in a separate lock box.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 am
OberFeldwebel
Anima_Raptor
Floyd

I couldn't get past why and how that guy could have two or three handguns unlocked in a locked case with ammunition checked into an airplane.

I know you can check a firearm under a plane but I think you have to have the slide off or open and I don't think you can have any ammo at all, even in a separate lock box.
I believe you only have to lock the rifle case, and you're allowed to have ammo in a separate locked container. They're not all that a**l about it, really. What are you going to do, overpower the entire flight crew and all the passengers, THEN go into the hold and get your gun?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:32 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Anima_Raptor
Floyd

I believe you only have to lock the rifle case, and you're allowed to have ammo in a separate locked container. They're not all that a**l about it, really. What are you going to do, overpower the entire flight crew and all the passengers, THEN go into the hold and get your gun?

Shh! Those idiot liberals might think that's possible!

Hmm, yeah a separate locked container, does it have to be an ATF approved one or not?
If not I'd keep the ammo in my luggage, but you know, it's an a*****e kind of thing that they'd probably require you to do making you pay to check more luggage.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Anima_Raptor
Floyd

Shh! Those idiot liberals might think that's possible!

Hmm, yeah a separate locked container, does it have to be an ATF approved one or not?
If not I'd keep the ammo in my luggage, but you know, it's an a*****e kind of thing that they'd probably require you to do making you pay to check more luggage.
Sure it's possible, but anyone who can subdue the entire flight crew barehanded wouldn't bother with the bullshit of going to get a gun.

Here's what I'm seeing. Certain airlines' policy is that the gun and ammo must be in separate bags. The gun and all magazines MUST be unloaded. Show up a bit earlier than normal to check in, tell the person at the luggage check counter that you'll be checking a gun with your luggage. They'll bring over a TSA officer who'll have you open it up, he'll give it a once-over, and then watch you as you seal the case and put a TSA-approved lock on the case,. The TSA has universal keys for these locks, I believe, and they can check out your gun in-transit if they feel the need. There ARE TSA-approved locks that give a visible sign if a universal key is ever used in them, so you can tell if they fiddled with your s**t.

Here's what Continental Airlines says, in case you have a need to read...

Quote:
Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 lbs (five Kgs.) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport.

* Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
* International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
o Firearms are not accepted to/from Israel.
o Firearms are not accepted to/from Denmark
o For travel to/from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
o Customers traveling to/through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden. For your convenience, the application for permission is available for download in Adobe PDF format.
* Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.
* The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.
* Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by Continental Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.
* The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
* Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
* No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.

If applicable, the first ($15) or second bag fee ($25) applies to checked firearms.

Continental is not liable for damage to firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.

Note: Customer must sign a Firearm Declaration Tag.
I believe it's illegal for them to affix that tag to your luggage, but they are allowed to make you sign one. Probably just as irrefutable proof that you checked the gun, and that you had X-many guns in the case when you checked them.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:04 am
Explaining Lost is like explaining the Bible. It can't really be done.

The story of The Swan bunker was explained in the last three episodes of this season. The scientists of The Dharma Initiative, sponsored by a wealthy arms merchant, were plumbing the secrets of this mysterious island, trying to figure out why all the weird stuff was happening.

It all had something to do with powerful sources of magnetism, but this was never fully explained beyond the oblique references to the events like healing of near terminal wounds.

The rest of the last three hours of the season were screwed around in a time travel paradox that pissed me off. The question of if one can change events in the past and all that crap. God, how I hate time travel stories.

Anyway, the Swan Bunker was being built to be a research lab to take advantage of this magnetism. The Asian professor (the guy in all the movies the survivors found) believed he might be able to build a time machine, among other devices in the presence of such power. Thus, all the time and money invested in digging hardened underground structures.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am
I'd choose island, but not one all by itself in the middle of the ocean. It'd be one in a bay or something that I can easily sail to the mainland for supplies if I need them.  

Man of the Demoneye

Zombies. Seriously.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff