Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Threat of attack, laws for knives? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:38 pm
Ok well basically my b***h of an ex-girlfriend and her punk a** new boyfriend have threatened to hurt me if i ever speak to them or if people i have no control over text her again. So i want to arm myself. I'm thinking a standard combat knife would be sufficent, but i don't know if there is any legal crap about carrying one? And what about a boot knife? I'm 17 and in Indiana btw.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 pm
Get a Rambo knife.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:51 pm
After a rudimentary search, I cannot find any laws pertaining to type or size other than "no switchblades or throwing stars"  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 pm
Well, out of sight, out of mind.

I'd like to see a 'small of back' type set up for a KA-BAr.
Seriously, nothing other than a firearm or broad sword would make someone s**t their pants when someone pulls a KA-BAR.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Serrated makes them pee too.

Boot knife would be nice, but you'd have to bend down to grab it.

Also, if they're threats can't you take it to the police?  

OberFeldwebel

The Iron Sponge

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm
Like he said, just no switchblades or throwing stars.
Go forth and procure for thineself a Ka-Bar.

Sauce:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080618203630AASFLAd  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 pm
Machete. twisted  

Maelthra Reloaded

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Bring it, ********>  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 pm
A fixed-blade knife over a certain length is deemed a concealed weapon. A pocketknife is usually seen as a tool and not considered a concealed weapon. If the pocketknife is an automatic, it's illegal to carry without a CCW, but not to own. If it's an assist it's legal to carry and own.

Note that in California and other communist states, these may not be true. For most they are.

EDIT: This is all on the basis that you're hiding the weapon. As far as I know you can have a fixed blade knife of any length on your person as long as it's showing. Maybe get one you can put on the belt and the end of the sheath can be partway into a pocket. That way it's visible but discreet. A friend of mine bought himself a fix-blade Buck knife when his life was in danger by certain persons.  

ArmasTermin

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:01 pm
First, record anything and everything he says to you, include time and date. Grab a collapsible baton. about the same price as a knife, easier to use, and surprisingly more effective psychologically
Also, if anything comes of this and you two get into a fight, call 911 ASAP. The first person to call has the advantage with the police.

$36-$40 with sheath  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Freak_090
First, record anything and everything he says to you, include time and date. Grab a collapsible baton. about the same price as a knife, easier to use, and surprisingly more effective psychologically
Also, if anything comes of this and you two get into a fight, call 911 ASAP. The first person to call has the advantage with the police.

Based on the legality of carrying a callapsible baton concealed, you might as well just tuck a pistol in somewhere as they're both generally considered prohibited weapons.

If you feel your life is seriously in danger, though, I'm not about to say "Don't do it."

Better judged by twelve than carried by six, right?

But I'm not saying to do it, either. Just use good judgement. And inform the cops about the threats right now. If you were attacked later and had to defend your life and soemone was to get hurt, it was on file that you thought this might happen and were prepared.

Stay safe, partner.

EDIT: I have this model. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TAC421-1.html

Good for the price. Solid lock-up, heavy duty construction. Can open up a watermelon like an egg. And the 21" length is ideal--long enough for swinging power but not so long as to be so hard to conceal. Not that I would know anything about that.  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm
Or you could buy an entrenching tool, sure it'll get you WTF looks but they're a snap to fold out and with enough force can open a skull.
Anyone that asks, It's a shovel!

Yeah, would be a good thing to inform the police about this. That way yeah, like he said, you don't look as bad.

I picked up a nice little German baton.

It's steel construction, has a nice hard and heavy end on the grip and a two section spring that comes out with a solid metal plug on the end, almost like a bolt.

I can't imagine that would feel too good to have that wrap on the side of your skull.

Here's that baton with holster.

Fully extended.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:18 am
ArmasTermin
A fixed-blade knife over a certain length is deemed a concealed weapon. A pocketknife is usually seen as a tool and not considered a concealed weapon. If the pocketknife is an automatic, it's illegal to carry without a CCW, but not to own. If it's an assist it's legal to carry and own.

Note that in California and other communist states, these may not be true. For most they are.

EDIT: This is all on the basis that you're hiding the weapon. As far as I know you can have a fixed blade knife of any length on your person as long as it's showing. Maybe get one you can put on the belt and the end of the sheath can be partway into a pocket. That way it's visible but discreet. A friend of mine bought himself a fix-blade Buck knife when his life was in danger by certain persons.

Cali laws for general public (not including schools and govt buildings) are pretty simple. There are three main types of knives you can carry concealed.

1. Fixed blade knife (NOT a dagger or dirk) with a blade no longer than 4 inches.
2. Switchblade with a blade no longer than 2 inches.
3. Folder (spring assist or not) as big as you can hide biggrin

Some cops might trouble you about the blade length of your folder. Back in the 90's, blade maximum was three inches.
That law's long gone now.
If they still want your knife after you tell them that, write down/memorize their name and badge number and take the porker to court.
EDIT: For the record, Police/Cop = Good cop. Porker/Pig = Bad cop.

Just figured I'd post for all the Commiefornians in the room razz
That and I was bored. Play safe, now.

The Iron Sponge

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 am
Couple things:

Cell phones have little GPS systems in them. You can turn it off pretty easy, there's a setting for it. However, if you call 911, it turns itself on and cannot be deactivated for 30 minutes or so. This allows the cops to both crack down on prank calls and track possible kidnapped/half-dead callers. You might use this to your advantage.

Pepper spray, AFAIK, has little to no legal limits on it. Firearms end bear attacks 67% of the time. Bear mace ends it 92% of the time. I'm pretty sure bear mace would ******** a man up so bad he'd WISH you'd had a knife. It's also cheaper and easier to defend. Carrying a fighting knife like a KA-BAR is a bit suspicious, like you were looking for it. Mace is less so.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 am
Fresnel
Couple things:

Cell phones have little GPS systems in them. You can turn it off pretty easy, there's a setting for it. However, if you call 911, it turns itself on and cannot be deactivated for 30 minutes or so. This allows the cops to both crack down on prank calls and track possible kidnapped/half-dead callers. You might use this to your advantage.

Pepper spray, AFAIK, has little to no legal limits on it. Firearms end bear attacks 67% of the time. Bear mace ends it 92% of the time. I'm pretty sure bear mace would ******** a man up so bad he'd WISH you'd had a knife. It's also cheaper and easier to defend. Carrying a fighting knife like a KA-BAR is a bit suspicious, like you were looking for it. Mace is less so.

I think in Japan you need a permit or some such s**t for mace.
Or was it a taser?

Oh well, yeah Bear mace is nasty s**t, I heard its all sticky and goopy.

Also, aren't the cans extremely large too?
They're roughly the size of a small fire extinguisher.
How can you hide that?
Props if you can do it though.

That 'looking' for trouble s**t is the same thing they spout about having a concealed weapon, it's all bullshit.
Tell them that you have some allergies and don't want to risk being exposed to mace.
If you get a head wind some of that is going in your eyes and mouth.

Yeah, the cell phone GPS will help the cops find you. It's a dice roll if they find you alive, get out your D20s, difficulty of 15.  

OberFeldwebel

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 am
Folding Buck knives are still the standard where I live. Everyone and their brother has a Buck leather scabbard on their belt. It's a work tool as much as anything else (unless the waitress forgets to give you a steak knife when you need one).

Knife laws now vary way too much to give general advice. Some cities have bans related to gang violence. Others are so complex that they've put knife shops out of business! I've seriously considered getting one of those fancy chef's knife sets in the cool soft folding carrier. Ten knives and a sharpening stone. Nice to have in the field.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff