Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How awesome is this?
  HELL YEAH AWESOME!
View Results

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm
Well I was stoping in to my local gun shop to see if they had a mag extension for my Nova tacticool project (which they didn't) and was backing the truck up to leave when I look in the mirror and see...BRAND NEW SURPLUS STORE! Of course I back up to check it out. There was a ghille suit in the window that I really wanted for some time now, plus a manequin dressed as a special forces soldier or something. Couldn't see anything else because the lights were off. So I finally have one that isn't 50+ miles away. Any hints as to what I can expect next Saturday? Or is it kind of a crapshoot with these places?  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:40 pm
If you want a Ghillie suit, make your own. Ghillie suits only work if they are tailor made for their environment. You can easily find kits on the internet for a lot cheaper than the ~$100 you would spend on the pre-made suit.

Expect a lot of old surplus clothing and gear (bags, tools, clothing, M16 magazines, etc...) You will most likely find new gear as well, one of the local surplus stores has an entire section of 5.11 stuff.  

Freak_090
Captain

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 pm
Freak_090
If you want a Ghillie suit, make your own. Ghillie suits only work if they are tailor made for their environment. You can easily find kits on the internet for a lot cheaper than the ~$100 you would spend on the pre-made suit.

Expect a lot of old surplus clothing and gear (bags, tools, clothing, M16 magazines, etc...) You will most likely find new gear as well, one of the local surplus stores has an entire section of 5.11 stuff.

All I really need to do is hide from geese and whatever else, so I'm not going to be as picky as I normally would about it. I can always shove crap in them if needed.

That reminds me, I tried making my own once out of an old bedsheet I dyed, a 3XL camo t-shirt and over9000 safety pins. Turned out okay, but not entirely what I was hoping for. Even after I stapled leaves on it from artificial flowers. xd

As for the cost, the one I was looking at was $60-70 for the whole 3 piece thing. Well, only time will tell. To be honest, I didn't even know you could make your own.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm
I tried to make a ghillie suit mask. Sewed part of an old shirt into a balaclava and cut strips out of a green bath towel and a brown tee shirt. Actually was sewing each strip individually into the mask. Got bored after I had a decent collar around the neck of the thing.

Haven't touched it since.  

ArmasTermin

Hydraulic Fluid

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm
Man of the Demoneye
...was backing the truck up to leave when I look in the mirror and see...BRAND NEW SURPLUS STORE! Of course I back up to check it out.

I laughed my a** off at this for some reason. Thought I'd share.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 am
I've had mixed luck with so-called surplus stores. I'm more into hardware than clothing, so I've had to be rather fussy about what I buy. Prices have gone nuts over the past decade. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd laugh.

Cheap prices are what I shop for. I rarely find anything cheap in a surplus store anymore.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:14 pm
Floyd
I've had mixed luck with so-called surplus stores. I'm more into hardware than clothing, so I've had to be rather fussy about what I buy. Prices have gone nuts over the past decade. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd laugh.

Cheap prices are what I shop for. I rarely find anything cheap in a surplus store anymore.

With the Obama scare, anything 'tacticool' is going to fetch a premium price.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:46 pm
Finally went today. Not a whole lot in just yet, but some cool stuff. Lots of blades. I bought a steel polish helmet!  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:28 am
Man of the Demoneye
I bought a steel polish helmet!
Uh oh.

How do you stop a Polish tank? Shoot the guys pushing it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:28 am
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Uh oh.

rofl I guess it's a good thing that I only need it to stop me from hitting my head then?

Edit: now I'm thinking of that russian pushtank.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:34 am
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Uh oh.

rofl I guess it's a good thing that I only need it to stop me from hitting my head then?

No tank is more awesome than the Russian rocket-tank. Stuck in a ditch? Need to GTFO quick? FIRE ZE ROCKETS! Thing had a pair of solid rocket boosters mounted to the turret. When they were going, it could go 0-60 faster than most commercial cars, but they were single-use and non-interruptible.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 am
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Uh oh.

No tank is more awesome than the Russian rocket-tank. Stuck in a ditch? Need to GTFO quick? FIRE ZE ROCKETS! Thing had a pair of solid rocket boosters mounted to the turret. When they were going, it could go 0-60 faster than most commercial cars, but they were single-use and non-interruptible.

Actually, I was referring to this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrNkV6kVPos

the first one shown in the first 5 seconds of the video  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 am
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Uh oh.

Actually, I was referring to this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrNkV6kVPos

the first one shown in the first 5 seconds of the video
I meant the one that pops up just short of five minutes in.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:26 am
If you find any Swiss stuff pick it up.

Helmets and bayonets.

If you find a Swiss bayonet for under $100.
Buy it.  

OberFeldwebel

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:56 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Uh oh.

I was thinking a Mexican tank...  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces