Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
views on the christian devil Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm
after reading some posts in another topic here it kinda got my wheels turning a bit.

if pagans acknowledge the christian/jewish god, though they do not worship him, what would be the views of the chirstian devil?

just for some friendly discussion. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm
whiporwill-o
after reading some posts in another topic here it kinda got my wheels turning a bit.

if pagans acknowledge the christian/jewish god, though they do not worship him, what would be the views of the chirstian devil?

just for some friendly discussion. 3nodding

I honestly don't know anything about him, really. I acknowledge that he may exist, but I really don't devote any sort of thought or space to him at all. Just not that interested.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm
I guess I really don't have an opinion on him. I don't devote time or energy to him, I acknowledge that he exists. That's about it xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:21 pm
I acknowledge that he exists as well, though I don't really pay all that much attention to him. I don't know that I see him as being the "ultimate evil" either, but that could just be my pagan-side showing through. sweatdrop  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Tari_Leralonde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm
To me, he's just the collective negative side of humanity. Everything has its negative side (if you want to go all "Star Wars" here, go ahead and call it a dark side). Nothing is excepted. Every religion has its negative side, and the Christian "devil" or "satan" is just the name given to that negative side, though they view it as an actual entity. Which I suppose it could be viewed as an actual entity, since so much thought and fear has been put toward making it an entity, but in that case it would be more like a thought-form than an actual being.
I agree with too2sweet: "satan" isn't an "ultimate evil" like Christians believe it to be. Why? Well, because I believe there's no such thing as "evil" or "good"...those are extremes, and this world has no room for extremes. Everything is both "evil" and "good", no matter who or what it is.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm
I'm afraid I can't separate my understanding from Paradise Lost. As such, I cannot make a comment as to his existence. I mean, sure, it'd be nice... he's such a wonderful romantic figure. Terry Pratchett says that if you don't identify with Satan in Paradise Lost, you're not human. xd

But I hear the Jewish people don't believe in hell... but they have a Satan figure. So either he's totally different to how he tends to be interpreted from a Christian perspective, or he has nowhere to live.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Tari_Leralonde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

But I hear the Jewish people don't believe in hell... but they have a Satan figure. So either he's totally different to how he tends to be interpreted from a Christian perspective, or he has nowhere to live.

Coincidentally, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in "Hell", either. They can actually point out specifically in the bible where it says that Hell is just the place they bury you when you die. Essentially, it comes from some Greek word and some Hebrew word, both of which mean "grave"....I can't remember haha. My fundie Jehovah's Witness grandparents told me this. Actually, they have kind of the same views on Satan as I do. Kind of. So maybe they aren't as fundie as I think they are, haha.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm
Well, I don't think Satan is an evil figure. I think he's just the opposite side of the whole "god" idea Christians have. I mean, I have a God and Goddess, they're the duality of the whole.
Satan and Yahweh are just two parts of a whole idea of the higher being, I guess. I don't really have an opinion. I suppose, though, Jews and Christians needed a scapegoat, so there he was.
All he did was stand up to an unfair god, which I find admirable.  

o sunflower king

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:36 pm
Well, I've heard that Satan emerged from a pagan deity, thus explaining the goat-like appearance (perhaps they believed in a stag then as well), which is why he's not mentioned in the Old Testament (I believe). If he was based off of a pagan deity, then that explains why he's evil, being that they (The Judeo-Christians) would have wanted to demonize anyone who worshiped that deity. That's probably why many people associate paganism with Satanism.

Personally, I don't believe in an eternal Hell. I'm not ruling out any deities, but whoever may have created this earth certainly wouldn't want their children to suffer for eternity for what they did in one lifetime. There may be multiple hells, for sins committed in this past life, before reaching reincarnation or 'heaven' (such as a certain Chinese belief), and there may be a Satan-like figure overseeing that [the hell or hells].

However, I have read in an Atheists' Bible (yes quite paradoxical, no?) a quote from somebody that said, "Pray for the sinner who needs prayer most: Satan."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 pm
My belief is that there really isnt a supream evil being. Maybe bad spirits but I just dont think that there is some big bad guy out there leading all of the other little dark things. I think that when the knights templar came a running through the country side telling all the pagans that they needed to conform to there way of thinking, the pagans went nah thats ok we like our gods. Then the templar knights went well your God looks like our Devil. To try to scare them into believing in the Christan God.  

Zabi_baby

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 pm
[ Nicolette ]
Well, I've heard that Satan emerged from a pagan deity, thus explaining the goat-like appearance (perhaps they believed in a stag then as well), which is why he's not mentioned in the Old Testament (I believe). If he was based off of a pagan deity, then that explains why he's evil, being that they (The Judeo-Christians) would have wanted to demonize anyone who worshiped that deity. That's probably why many people associate paganism with Satanism.

I've heard that too. Personally, my belief is that man creates enough trouble for itself--it doesn't need a "supreme evil being" to help them in that department. "Satan" is the Christain/jewish/whatever scapegoat for doing bad things. Does anyone recall the popular saying "the devil made me do it"? Case in point...  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:25 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

to the jewish the devil is not real, however they do have a satan, but he's is an adversary, a tempter, not the embodiment of pure evil.  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 pm
thanks everyone for commenting. i love hearing other peoples views. coming from a christian upbringing, i just cant have discussions/ask questions about these things with my family.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:33 pm
Aryain Flames
[ Nicolette ]

I've heard that too. Personally, my belief is that man creates enough trouble for itself--it doesn't need a "supreme evil being" to help them in that department. "Satan" is the Christain/jewish/whatever scapegoat for doing bad things. Does anyone recall the popular saying "the devil made me do it"? Case in point...

i read that his image was coined from the greek god pan, hence the horns and cloven hooves. i dont remember a specific source, but i have read it many places. pan, because he is wild, natural and untamed, the christian society viewed him as being immoral and disturbing.

but i wasn't there when the devil imaged was created, so i cant really say for a fact.  

whiporwill-o

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 am
whiporwill-o
Aryain Flames
[ Nicolette ]

i read that his image was coined from the greek god pan, hence the horns and cloven hooves. i dont remember a specific source, but i have read it many places. pan, because he was wild, natural and untamed, the christian society viwed him as being immoral and disturbing.

but i wasn there when the devil imaged was created, so i cant really say for a fact.

The whole image of the devil (not the idea, but the way he looks) comes from the Pagan Horned God. When the Christain Anglo-Saxons were busy converting the Germanic Pagans to Christanity, the protrayed the Pagan God as the devil, hence, the Pagans were devil-worshippers and needed to convert to save their souls.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games