Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
'Damn' or 'Damned' ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sintreri

Beloved Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm
I notice that a lot of people use the word 'damn' when describing something/one. Such as (not trying to be rude, or insult anyone. It's just a question I've been pondering for some time now) the guild banner.
Now, for the word damn....isn't it a verb? To damn something/one?
Technically if we are describing 'your words' with the word 'damn' shouldn't it be 'damned'? Since one can be damned. It is a state of something/one. It is an adjective.
I've gotten to the point where I say damned instead of damn when saying it that way. I also say 'what in Hell' instead of 'what the Hell' because if you take a moment to think about it. Does 'what the Hell' even make sense?
(this is considering you are talking about Hell as a place. If you are using it like the verb '********', as nothing more than a curse word, then I suppose the grammatical correctness of it does not matter much. The same would apply to 'damn')
Well, looky here, even cursing can be contemplated as whether or not it is grammatically in/correct XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am
No one knows? D;

Sintreri

Beloved Lunatic

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 pm
It's been debated before (mostly in reference to the guild banner), I just can't for the life of me remember what the outcome was. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Ah okey, well that would explain the lack of interest. Thank you for saying something about it ^^

Sintreri

Beloved Lunatic

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm
With it being a curse word (and it being used in that context) I don't think it matters much, since we use the phrase 'I don't give a damn', which makes...no sense, gramatically.
You could also argue that since 'damn' is a contraction anyway, why can't it be a contraction of damned in the aforementioned context.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games