Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Gay marriage and slavery, think about it. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay marriage; will it be viewed this way some day, you think?
  Probably
  Not likely
  Neutral
View Results

Vxce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm
So I was thinking...
You know how these days when we're in school [for those of us who are still in school] and we learn about slavery and segregation and we think to ourselves "How one earth could we have gone on so long being okay with this? Separate schools and drinking fountains and hospitals even for blacks? Man, if I were around those days I would have though that was bullshit..." and things of that nature. At least, that's how thought of it.
What about gay marriage?
It has just become legal in my state, NY, for gay couples to get married as they please. But I know there are still a ton of states where it's illegal, and I have to wonder why we're still fighting it. I've heard all the reasons but seriously, you can't fight gay couples forever. Their not giving up, their not going anywhere, and their becoming more widely accepted by the day.
I predict some day gay marriage will become something commonplace, and future generations will learn about how we wouldn't allow gay couples to get married, how much of a hard time we gave them, and they'll wonder what was up our asses. I may be wrong but with the way things are going, it sounds about right to me.
I'm not gay, for the record, but I have many friends who are, my best friend is in fact, and I was so happy for him when he said he could now get married in NY. Sad that anyone ever thought they had the right to tell him he couldn't in the first place.

Anyway, discuss openly. Don't bash gay people in here, for god sakes, though you people are civil enough, I hope, to keep that sort of thing to yourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm
F0rk Tongue
Their not giving up, their not going anywhere, and their becoming more widely accepted by the day.
Hear those sirens? That's the grammar police. Y'know, it's probably quite telling how much that bothered me...

Anywho, I'm sure it will be, and it'll be a momentous day fifty years from now when we elect a gay president, but nobody will remember what things were like back then (now). History, as they say, is written by the winners.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Vxce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Fresnel
F0rk Tongue
Their not giving up, their not going anywhere, and their becoming more widely accepted by the day.
Hear those sirens? That's the grammar police. Y'know, it's probably quite telling how much that bothered me...

Anywho, I'm sure it will be, and it'll be a momentous day fifty years from now when we elect a gay president, but nobody will remember what things were like back then (now). History, as they say, is written by the winners.
Yeah that was pretty bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 am
"Just as there are those who will never stop until gay marriage is available everywhere, there are those who will never stop until gay marriage is abolished everywhere. We're at a time where it's pretty much 50-50 on the issue. There is no majority here.

However, most of those who support gay marriage are young. Thus, most who do not will die out within the next 20-40 years. I do believe gay marriage will be available everywhere, but not accepted everywhere. Just as there are still places black people can't go because racism still exists.
"

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm
F0rk Tongue
So I was thinking...
You know how these days when we're in school [for those of us who are still in school] and we learn about slavery and segregation and we think to ourselves "How one earth could we have gone on so long being okay with this? Separate schools and drinking fountains and hospitals even for blacks? Man, if I were around those days I would have though that was bullshit..." and things of that nature. At least, that's how thought of it.
What about gay marriage?
It has just become legal in my state, NY, for gay couples to get married as they please. But I know there are still a ton of states where it's illegal, and I have to wonder why we're still fighting it. I've heard all the reasons but seriously, you can't fight gay couples forever. Their not giving up, their not going anywhere, and their becoming more widely accepted by the day.
I predict some day gay marriage will become something commonplace, and future generations will learn about how we wouldn't allow gay couples to get married, how much of a hard time we gave them, and they'll wonder what was up our asses. I may be wrong but with the way things are going, it sounds about right to me.
I'm not gay, for the record, but I have many friends who are, my best friend is in fact, and I was so happy for him when he said he could now get married in NY. Sad that anyone ever thought they had the right to tell him he couldn't in the first place.

Anyway, discuss openly. Don't bash gay people in here, for god sakes, though you people are civil enough, I hope, to keep that sort of thing to yourselves.

Very good observation. I've been comparing gay marriage to segregation for a long time now. And it really is just a repeat of history. That's how I know that within the next few years, gay marriage will be completely, utterly, legal, without exception.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:19 pm
black_wing_angel
F0rk Tongue
So I was thinking...
What about gay marriage?

Very good observation. I've been comparing gay marriage to segregation for a long time now. And it really is just a repeat of history. That's how I know that within the next few years, gay marriage will be completely, utterly, legal, without exception.
I do hope you're right.

Vxce

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 pm
IT'S OKAYYYY TO BE GAYYYY. biggrin

Yeah, and after gay marriage gets legalized, in 40 years bestiality will be legal. I'm totally for gay marriage though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:38 am
GREEEEEEEEEEEN

Yeah, and after gay marriage gets legalized, in 40 years bestiality will be legal. I'm totally for gay marriage though.
You people say that like it's not already legal. The only restriction is a weight limit.  

Fresnel

Citizen

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:18 am
Fresnel
GREEEEEEEEEEEN

You people say that like it's not already legal. The only restriction is a weight limit.
Whoa, whaaaa?
I thought it was illegal. :

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am
People are going to hate me for this, but in some cases, I don't really see much of a problem with bestiality that stems beyond "ew you're a ******** sicko." Obviously forcing an animal is way uncool, but some animals really don't seem to care... neutral  

Kuchen Fairy

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:08 pm
The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow.

I´m heterosexual, and support gay marriage. And agree with your post.

Because, in the next fifty years, something really gross, and more controversial will be the new taboo*, and nobody will even bother to attack gays.

*GREEEEEEEEEEEN, bestiality is my pick too.

There is no humor in heaven. Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:44 pm
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
Fresnel
GREEEEEEEEEEEN

Whoa, whaaaa?
I thought it was illegal. :
In some states. I think it's about 25 states on either side. I think in my state it has to be under 50 pounds, but I could be wrong on the exact weight.

ETA: ED saiz:
Quote:
In the United Kingdom, any animal that has died is classed as a foodstuff, regardless of what type of animal it is. It's not illegal to ******** food. If your pet dog was to have a fatal "accident" and you were to "accidentally" place your p***s into its dead a**s, that would be no more illegal than smearing jam on your c**k.

Fresnel

Citizen

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:05 pm
Anyway, I actually think it's insulting to use the term "slavery" to describe the current status of homosexuals. Slaves are property of another, completely submissive and at the mercy of those that control their every aspect of life. Gays aren't being forced to work with no pay or forced to forgo meals or sleep at the discretion of the people that "own" them. They get to eat what they want, go to school where they want, work when and where they want, and love who they want. They simply aren't allowed to be wed in many states. While I think that is wrong, I do not think it is anywhere close to being slavery.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:26 am
I think if gays become more public and vocal more and more people will start to except them. It's going to take a while for them to be completely excepted, but I believe it will happen.  

Zambimaru

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:29 am
Silver Screen
Anyway, I actually think it's insulting to use the term "slavery" to describe the current status of homosexuals. Slaves are property of another, completely submissive and at the mercy of those that control their every aspect of life. Gays aren't being forced to work with no pay or forced to forgo meals or sleep at the discretion of the people that "own" them. They get to eat what they want, go to school where they want, work when and where they want, and love who they want. They simply aren't allowed to be wed in many states. While I think that is wrong, I do not think it is anywhere close to being slavery.
That wasn't quite the point. The question was, are children going to look back in 50 years and see the oppression of the gays and think "That's ******** retarded, why did anyone think that was right?" the way we look back and say the same thing about slavery now?  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff