Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims 3
The Sims 3 Reviews

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Sims 3?
  5/5 ZOMG!!! I LOVE IT!!!
  4/5 It's pretty awesome!
  3/5 It's good, but....
  2/5 Meh, it could have been better, so much better.
  1/5 Disappointment is the only word I have to say.
  0/5 Why did I buy such an abomination!?
  I don't have it yet. :<
View Results

LinkGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:57 pm
I thought it'd be nice to have a place where people could give their thoughts on the game. And possibly help people who haven't decided whether they want to buy this next installment of The Sims.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:14 pm
And to start off, here's my review... Which may be much less than kind. sweatdrop

To say it simply, I was sorely disappointed.

Up till the release I was avidly following The Sims 3 website for updates, and maybe that's why I was so very disappointed when I finally got to playing it yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, there are some aspects of the game that are amazing, like the Create-A-Sim; the graphics are remarkable, and the pattern system they've created adds a new level of customization to the game that sim customizers only dreamed of. But...

Once I had actually started playing the game I couldn't help but feel that EA lost sight of what some sim players loved. Being god. (You're more like a family guardian --or demon, in some cases.)

This may sound really weird, but, it plays more like an actual game, and less like you're creating your own story.
I actually found myself thinking it plays similar to the console versions of The Sims 2. (You can make what you will of that.)

No longer can you save a whole bunch of households and jump back and forth creating your own complex story, you're forced to stick with one family while the entire neighborhood ages with that family. You can switch families, but once you do, the family you were previously playing becomes NPCs, free to do whatever they want and age while you play the new familly.

Now I'm not saying all of this is necessarily a bad thing; some players may love that the whole neighborhood is aging with your household, but I couldn't say I was.

EDIT: Now that I've played the game a while, it is a great game (still very addicting), but it seems to be geared more toward single household players.  

LinkGirl

Th3Vintag3Imag3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 am

I can understand where LinkGirl is coming from, and I kinda agree.

The only other thing I don't like is that they used a lot of the old items from the sims2. I guess I'll have to wait for all the expansions to come out before I can get more stuff.

Also, the only other thing I didn't like was the amount of hair selections... there were hardly ANY. And not one that would make someone say, 'your hair is spiked' (and not the mohawk)

I guess I'll cross my fingers for more hair in the expansions.

BUT

The awesome things were the create a sim, the customizing of the items/clothing, and the video making. It's awesome!

And of course the graphics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:08 pm
I actually think the Sims 3 is quite awesome. I feel like you can still create your own story and the aging neighborhood doesn't bother me at all. Especially since you can set the sims to live over 900 days if you want.

I love some of the changed. I really love that they got rid off fears. I love the part-time jobs, and the seamless neighborhood is an amazing feature. Its awesome that you can go knock on a neighbors door and go inside their house. As regarding the switching families things...you can still go back to that household. D=  

Children for dinner

Banana-nana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Dang, Linkgirl. I don't think I've seen anyone but J.M. Pescado put it better.

I am enjoying the game, but it does play more like a game. I am suspecting that the reason for at least some of this is that they had to convince those of us having fun with Sims 2 to move over to the new game because there wasn't going to be as big a jump between Sims 2 and 3 like there was from 1 to 2.

I do love the open neighborhood, but you are forced to play only one family. I gave a test to see how this played out just recently. I started a family with a toddler, when she became a child, I moved on and played two other families.

Just today, I hopped back. The kid is now an adult. Her skills seem somewhat random. Her parents have the same jobs, job levels, and skills I left them with. No extra children, no unexpected deaths or splitting up. Even the father's garden was exactly the way I left it.

I have the game on high free will and have story progression turned on, but the family I left simply became NPCs like in Sims 2. All their wants and the things in their inventory disappeared.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm

It's so-so, I do believe they could of tweaked a few more things, but I like it enough that I think it's worth buying.

One of the things I HATE is the new interactions system. I don't like how they are categorized, and how all the different kiss and flirt interactions are pretty much gone. I loved some of those. I also do not like that you cannot place lots. (Or at least I think you can't) You can not see your sims in most buildings, which is very sad, because I loved seeing your sims march into the grocery store. I am not very fond of the skills, I would rather see "Creativity" then "Guitar" and "Painting"

However, I love the new traits, animations, new interactions, how you customize everything, and being able to walk around with no loading screen, and the groceries. I also like how they can change clothes very quickly. The sunrise and the sunset are beautiful, and so is the water. I was happy that it didn't just turn night.

Overall, it was fun, though I missed some parts of TS2 that TS3 didn't have. I think it was worth buying, and I am probably
gonna buy some EPs. ;D

Madly questing for a Coco. Any donations would be loved

Happy Tragedy

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

Fairee Lumineuse

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:47 am
I'd give it a 4.5/5 so I just rounded up and gave it a 5 in the poll ^.^

It is FREAKIN' AWESOME!! There are just a few things that suck in the game =
Happy Tragedy

It's so-so, I do believe they could of tweaked a few more things, but I like it enough that I think it's worth buying.

One of the things I HATE is the new interactions system. I don't like how they are categorized, and how all the different kiss and flirt interactions are pretty much gone. I loved some of those. I also do not like that you cannot place lots. (Or at least I think you can't) You can not see your sims in most buildings, which is very sad, because I loved seeing your sims march into the grocery store. I am not very fond of the skills, I would rather see "Creativity" then "Guitar" and "Painting"

However, I love the new traits, animations, new interactions, how you customize everything, and being able to walk around with no loading screen, and the groceries. I also like how they can change clothes very quickly. The sunrise and the sunset are beautiful, and so is the water. I was happy that it didn't just turn night.

Overall, it was fun, though I missed some parts of TS2 that TS3 didn't have. I think it was worth buying, and I am probably
gonna buy some EPs. ;D

Madly questing for a Coco. Any donations would be loved

Haha, this is basically EXACTLY what I think! I hate how there aren't different kind of kiss/flirt options and that you can't place lots! But I love how you can customize EVERYTHING, and how you can see the shadows moving, and it isn't just *night* *morning* *noon* *evening* *night* I didn't like how there were only those times! D= Also how you can just walk/ride anywhere without the loading screens! Go see a movie, eat lunch at a cute little italian restaurant, go to the beach and watch the sunset, then go home =]

Though the brunch/lunch thing confuses me. When is it brunch, and when is it lunch?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:05 pm
As far as I know brunch comes between breakfast and lunch, hence its name.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Fairee Lumineuse

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:17 pm
Menaceman

D= But at what TIMES? Because I've had the option for brunch at 2 =[ lunch is supposed to be around noon, so this is pissing me off!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm
-Simply Venus-
Menaceman

D= But at what TIMES? Because I've had the option for brunch at 2 =[ lunch is supposed to be around noon, so this is pissing me off!

some days i don't have lunch until 3 or 4. xD  

Demon Days

KinkyMayhem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:42 pm
I agree with Th3Vintag3Imag3 about the hair, there isnt that much and most of them don't even look good. It's also really annoying when I go to download hair and only 3 out of the 10 I downloaded worked, the rest of them are just bald. Like everybody else I love the freedom we have with the open neighborhood also how you can put more than 3 things on a counter for example, and how the squares are smaller so you can put things very close together if you know what I mean. The only downside is there isn't as much to do because there isn't any expansion packs out yet, all there really is to do is try and get to the top of your job, collect, and build skills and relationships. I can't wait until more expansion packs come out.  
The Sims 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games