Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Just thought I'd mention it
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:25 pm

actually...... I think D-day was a horrid ww1 style plan. But beaches instead of trenches...... I commend the ******** who had the balls to get through it though.

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:12 am

Orkronos
actually...... I think D-day was a horrid ww1 style plan. But beaches instead of trenches...... I commend the ******** who had the balls to get through it though.
I think the only other options they had were to build a ******** of planes and paradrop the entire army, or set sail for Russia and help out on the Eastern front.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:23 am

D:

Xarich

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:44 am

Fresnel
Orkronos
I think the only other options they had were to build a ******** of planes and paradrop the entire army, or set sail for Russia and help out on the Eastern front.

At least they made the most of the plan, what with the inflatable tanks and stuff beforehand.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

At least they made the most of the plan, what with the inflatable tanks and stuff beforehand.
While this is true need i remind of of the opening scene of saving private Ryan?

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

While this is true need i remind of of the opening scene of saving private Ryan?
Technology has changed quite a bit since then. Today precision accuracy with bombs dropped from an airplane is a few meters. Back then precision hits were something like half a mile from the target or closer. Bombing the crap out of them would have been difficult. If you don't know about the Atlantic wall it was pretty well fortified. Finding a way around it silently would be difficult. Besides, I'm fairly certain their AAA guns were plentiful just in case you tried to fly over it and parachute in. Parachuting that many soldiers at once would also be very difficult.

As Fresnel mentioned we could have reinforced the Russians. Doing that, however, risks crossing paths with the Japanese navy. In fact I am willing to bet it would be much more probable we would have ran into the Japanese navy in the Pacific than running into a wolf pack in the Atlantic. It would have first off been a very long journey across the ocean followed by a long trip across land. It would have probably taken too long. The Germans would still have been fighting a 1 front war so in the long run the war probably would have dragged on longer.

D Day was a suicide mission, but it split the Germans into a 2 front war which made it more difficult for them to win.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

Technology has changed quite a bit since then. Today precision accuracy with bombs dropped from an airplane is a few meters. Back then precision hits were something like half a mile from the target or closer. Bombing the crap out of them would have been difficult. If you don't know about the Atlantic wall it was pretty well fortified. Finding a way around it silently would be difficult. Besides, I'm fairly certain their AAA guns were plentiful just in case you tried to fly over it and parachute in. Parachuting that many soldiers at once would also be very difficult.

As Fresnel mentioned we could have reinforced the Russians. Doing that, however, risks crossing paths with the Japanese navy. In fact I am willing to bet it would be much more probable we would have ran into the Japanese navy in the Pacific than running into a wolf pack in the Atlantic. It would have first off been a very long journey across the ocean followed by a long trip across land. It would have probably taken too long. The Germans would still have been fighting a 1 front war so in the long run the war probably would have dragged on longer.

D Day was a suicide mission, but it split the Germans into a 2 front war which made it more difficult for them to win.
I was actually thinking about sailing the northern route, over Scandanavia, but that would have sucked hardcore, come to think about it. Didn't Russia actually have an open port accessible from the Mediterranean? It would have been a short trip from north Africa, already secured by Montgomery.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Fresnel
I was actually thinking about sailing the northern route, over Scandanavia, but that would have sucked hardcore, come to think about it. Didn't Russia actually have an open port accessible from the Mediterranean? It would have been a short trip from north Africa, already secured by Montgomery.
Considering my lack on knowledge for world geography it's possible.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

Yes, I know, but what I was saying was it did take quite a bit of heat off the allied invasion. An amphibious landing was a more than serious threat and the nazis likely had more of a force there originally than when we actually landed there. When we did, quite a bit of their force was moved away to defend against Patton's "invading force". It could have gone much worse.

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Man of the Demoneye
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

Yes, I know, but what I was saying was it did take quite a bit of heat off the allied invasion. An amphibious landing was a more than serious threat and the nazis likely had more of a force there originally than when we actually landed there. When we did, quite a bit of their force was moved away to defend against Patton's "invading force". It could have gone much worse.
I'd love to have seen how the Nazis fared with the British coastal defense system... they had essentially high-pressure sprinkler heads hidden just under the water, and when turned on they'd spray petroleum high and far, and light it. Essentially, it created a wall of flame that landing craft would have to pass through.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Orkronos
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Orkronos

I'd love to have seen how the Nazis fared with the British coastal defense system... they had essentially high-pressure sprinkler heads hidden just under the water, and when turned on they'd spray petroleum high and far, and light it. Essentially, it created a wall of flame that landing craft would have to pass through.

eek

Gotta love these kinds of ideas.

Man of the Demoneye

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Well the bet bet would have been ,tactically, the Balkans Have a major offensive there crush the weakened Italians and march into Austria. Now doing this would probably make the Fuhrer abandon the Atlantic wall project and then if you attack there..... much less saving private Ryan.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Orkronos
Well the bet bet would have been ,tactically, the Balkans Have a major offensive there crush the weakened Italians and march into Austria. Now doing this would probably make the Fuhrer abandon the Atlantic wall project and then if you attack there..... much less saving private Ryan.
Hitler wasn't that stupid. You lose France, and the allies have a supply line that's almost entirely overland. The bit that IS in the sea is heavily guarded and within shore battery range. You destroy a supply truck, and the allies lose two tons of supplies, much of which can be picked right back up and loaded in another truck. You destroy a supply ship, and the allies lose several hundred tons of now-useless food, weapons, and ammunition. Keep the war at sea, and you win it.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Fresnel
Orkronos
Hitler wasn't that stupid. You lose France, and the allies have a supply line that's almost entirely overland. The bit that IS in the sea is heavily guarded and within shore battery range. You destroy a supply truck, and the allies lose two tons of supplies, much of which can be picked right back up and loaded in another truck. You destroy a supply ship, and the allies lose several hundred tons of now-useless food, weapons, and ammunition. Keep the war at sea, and you win it.

A supply line and a firm foot hold.

You'd have to cut off the troops far into France, Battle of the Bulge, and cut off their supply line by Wolf packs.
But that doesn't really protect from more air drops.
You'd need the Luftwaffe for that, but what was left of it in 1944?
Not much I'm sure.
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces