Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Semi-auto Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:07 am
Okay, I know how full auto works, but how does semi-auto work? Is it something that resets in the trigger assembly or something? Pics / links would be great. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:52 pm
Semi-autos are a hell of a lot more complicated than a full auto.

... I'm not even sure how they limit the rounds.

Probably some kind of lock that engages when the trigger is pulled and the slide operates.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:40 am
OberFeldwebel

Probably some kind of lock that engages when the trigger is pulled and the slide operates.
I think the trigger has to be let up before the lock fully re-sets. It halfway resets when the slide goes back. Maybe a two-lock system? One on the slide/bolt going back, and the other on the trigger re-setting.

The REALLY confusing one is three-round burst. WTF, a four-lock system or someshit?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:30 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I think the trigger has to be let up before the lock fully re-sets. It halfway resets when the slide goes back. Maybe a two-lock system? One on the slide/bolt going back, and the other on the trigger re-setting.

The REALLY confusing one is three-round burst. WTF, a four-lock system or someshit?

No idea on the burst-autos.
Maybe some kind of ratcheting lock.
Ratchets 3 times, locked, etc.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

That actually makes a lot of sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:24 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

I'd piss myself if that's how they do it.  

OberFeldwebel

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 am
Wiki-Licious  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:17 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

I'm sure different guns work in different ways, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I know there was one Russian rifle that used a ******** PULLEY SYSTEM to engage 2-round burst. It was incredibly complicated and a b***h to clean.

Another one that's always confused me is the BAR. It wasn't semi/auto, it was fast auto/slow auto. HOW THE HELL...?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

I'm sure different guns work in different ways, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I know there was one Russian rifle that used a ******** PULLEY SYSTEM to engage 2-round burst. It was incredibly complicated and a b***h to clean.

Another one that's always confused me is the BAR. It wasn't semi/auto, it was fast auto/slow auto. HOW THE HELL...?

Yeah, that's got me too.
Let me drink some more of this green tea and think about it.

Perhaps the ...
One thing that I can think of is that something constricting the recoil spring, but that would increase wear.

Or perhaps the selector switch changed the gas flow somehow.
Or turned it off and made it fire as blow back.

Without seeing a BAR's internals I can't really guess too much.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

Yeah, that's got me too.

Perhaps the ...
One thing that I can think of is that something constricting the recoil spring, but that would increase wear.

It was slower than that though. It was slower than double-taps. It was almost like fast, controlled shots. Something like that needs a damn flywheel or something.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

Yeah, that's got me too.

Perhaps the ...

It was slower than that though. It was slower than double-taps. It was almost like fast, controlled shots. Something like that needs a damn flywheel or something.

Yeah, I looked it up, slow auto is like 300-450 rpms and fast is 400 or 450 to 600.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I have my moments.

Yeah, that's got me too.

Perhaps the ...

Yeah, I looked it up, slow auto is like 300-450 rpms and fast is 400 or 450 to 600.
I saw 450 and 650. But that's 7.5/11 rounds per second. Not as slow as I was led to believe. It's an interesting engineering oddity that I'd be curious to learn about, but it doesn't seem like a significant enough difference to matter.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:22 pm
Gah! I'm sorry I have ben ignoring this thread, but my computer decided to melt. sad

Anyways, thanks for the input.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:26 pm
Maybe the selector switch completely disengages the gas system and it works like a blowback. Perhaps that lowers the rounds per minute.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:47 am
OberFeldwebel
Maybe the selector switch completely disengages the gas system and it works like a blowback. Perhaps that lowers the rounds per minute.
I would almost expect that to speed it up, because blowback starts on the bullet leaving the cartridge, while gas starts only when the bullet is almost out of the barrel.

Man, we should start designing a gun. xd  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces