Reply Main Forum
Universal Unitarians: Too Fluffy? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:33 pm
Okay, so if you aren't familiar with the prospect of Universal Unitarians, I highly suggest that you read up on their basic tenets.

Now, my question is whether they are too liberally-minded. I mean, they kinda through out the Baby Jesus with the bathwater-turned-into-wine. The basic theology rejects the divinity of Christ, the reality of any miracles, and so on and so forth. Essentially, it is the organization for humanism while still retaining the trappings of communal worship.

My question is, does drawing from too large of a body of mythos -- from literally any religion -- does it detract from the depth of meaning and study? What think you, gentle liberals?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 pm
The ones that I have met really dont know much in the way of actual theology. Hell, they try to school me in different religions and I say one thing, and they generally act offended. I wish I could say i debate nicer when not on Gaia, but then, I would be lying. smile

If they actually took the time to learn the histories and cultures and use books that arent by people like Buckland, Ravenwolf, or Sylvia Brown, then it might be more appealing to me.

"If you have your head in the clouds, your feet will never touch the ground."~real name with held.  

deadmanjay

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:09 pm
I really think they are too broad. They're nice people and all but the UU, or at least the one I attended, seemed to be lacking in the spirituality department. As a social movement group they're great but they really don't seem to have anything spiritual going for them and I believe this broadness without a mythos focus can actually hinder spiritual growth, by reducing religions to mere philosophies.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 pm
rmcdra
I really think they are too broad. They're nice people and all but the UU, or at least the one I attended, seemed to be lacking in the spirituality department. As a social movement group they're great but they really don't seem to have anything spiritual going for them and I believe this broadness without a mythos focus can actually hinder spiritual growth, by reducing religions to mere philosophies.

Did they tell you that they are very spiritual people and very open minded to everyones beliefs? I am sorry, but some beliefs are just messed up. The whole raping children then have your coven rape them. Eww  

deadmanjay

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:21 pm
deadmanjay
rmcdra

Did they tell you that they are very spiritual people and very open minded to everyones beliefs? I am sorry, but some beliefs are just messed up. The whole raping children then have your coven rape them. Eww
I don't think there were any Frosts there. I was church shopping at the time and I did not really understand Gnosticism or Christianity and it seemed like the only place I would fit in. Luckily my fiancée set me straight. It only took her 1 service to tell that it was a dead place.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm
rmcdra
deadmanjay
rmcdra

I don't think there were any Frosts there. I was church shopping at the time and I did not really understand Gnosticism or Christianity and it seemed like the only place I would fit in. Luckily my fiancée set me straight. It only took her 1 service to tell that it was a dead place.

Although all the ones I have met seem to be huggy/touchy people, the lack of genuine research into even history is stifling to me. I don't mind listening to what someone may believe, but if it sounds like bullshit, then my mind will start singing show tunes or something. That probably means I am close minded in somes eyes, but really, at least watch the history channel, as innacurate about things as they may be. There are some truths to what they show.

For the record, i am not a huggy person.  

deadmanjay

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 pm
deadmanjay
rmcdra
deadmanjay
rmcdra

Although all the ones I have met seem to be huggy/touchy people, the lack of genuine research into even history is stifling to me. I don't mind listening to what someone may believe, but if it sounds like bullshit, then my mind will start singing show tunes or something. That probably means I am close minded in somes eyes, but really, at least watch the history channel, as innacurate about things as they may be. There are some truths to what they show.

I know right? I mean if you're going to be a bit on the eclectic side at least do some ******** research in what you're taking. I didn't get to know any UUs that well I only attend 3 services and after my fiancée attended and didn't want to come back, I stopped attending too. I think the only thing we really like about them was that they supported gay rights and some other social causes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 pm
rmcdra
deadmanjay
rmcdra
deadmanjay
rmcdra

I know right? I mean if you're going to be a bit on the eclectic side at least do some ******** research in what you're taking. I didn't get to know any UUs that well I only attend 3 services and after my fiancée attended and didn't want to come back, I stopped attending too. I think the only thing we really like about them was that they supported gay rights and some other social causes.

But not all of them do support gay rights. I know of at least two who helped some spiritualists try to oust these two gay men from a supposed learning camp. They said the men molested young boys and everything. I spent hours with these two men, and nothing ever happened to me, just like every male around my age and younger were ready to testify to that. As a whole, they might be, but like in every group, there are some pretty shitty people.  

deadmanjay

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:50 pm
deadmanjay
rmcdra

But not all of them do support gay rights. I know of at least two who helped some spiritualists try to oust these two gay men from a supposed learning camp. They said the men molested young boys and everything. I spent hours with these two men, and nothing ever happened to me, just like every male around my age and younger were ready to testify to that. As a whole, they might be, but like in every group, there are some pretty shitty people.
Ah okay yeah you got a point. I guess it depends on your area and the members attending how good (if you can call it that) they are or not. I live in a midwest college town so most of the UU in my area is politically liberal.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 am
rmcdra
Agreed. The history of the UU is from two separate Christian movements, the Universalists and the Unitarians, the first of which believed that all religions were fundamentally the same, and the second one rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. Unfortunately, the movements both were perpetrated by more than a slight iconoclastic bent, which they ended up smashing any association with Christianity, and set itself aside as basically a watered-down social club.

Sure, they're not Christians, but they don't have a mythos to their own, like, at all. I just don't know how effective a religion can be if it doesn't have the software necessary to back up the individual's search for spirituality. Sure, they encourage individual search, but there's not really any guidance at all.  

Boxy

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm
Boxy
rmcdra
Agreed. The history of the UU is from two separate Christian movements, the Universalists and the Unitarians, the first of which believed that all religions were fundamentally the same, and the second one rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. Unfortunately, the movements both were perpetrated by more than a slight iconoclastic bent, which they ended up smashing any association with Christianity, and set itself aside as basically a watered-down social club.

Sure, they're not Christians, but they don't have a mythos to their own, like, at all. I just don't know how effective a religion can be if it doesn't have the software necessary to back up the individual's search for spirituality. Sure, they encourage individual search, but there's not really any guidance at all.
I know it's like, okay there's a watering hole now go do something.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 pm
I wonder a lot about religions. I would like to attend a Unitarian Church and maybe a Amish one too. Its so hard. I can say cool they believe men and women are equal or that's sounds about right . Nothing really has clicked for me fully.  

hachi_ ateyou

PetiteChouchou

Fashionable Fatcat

14,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:47 pm
wow. what a grab bag. i had no prior knowledge of this religion, but i find it kind of strange....and vague...and pointless...i guess it could work out for some ppl, but i think the only ppl who would be happy there were the ones who just really had no idea what they believe or even what they want out of a religion.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:07 pm
Wait, this religion may have some purpose.

If my calculations are correct, all those fluffy fwiccans following SRW like she's God/dess are actually UUs.
If this is true, we can say this to their faces.

Commence Operation Bwa-ha-ha-ha.  

Nines19

Boxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 pm
Nines19
Wait, this religion may have some purpose.

If my calculations are correct, all those fluffy fwiccans following SRW like she's God/dess are actually UUs.
If this is true, we can say this to their faces.

Commence Operation Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
Well, the essence of UU is fluffy eclecticism.

Wait, "fwiccan"? Is that because they're fwiccan cwazy?  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff