Submit

Should I do it?
  Hell yes!
  No, that's stupid.
  You should, but you know you won't.
View Results

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:31 am
A friend of mine tells me he wants to walk north across America and wind up in Canada and end up in England somehow and he says God told him to do it. Well I don't know about that, but it got me thinking. I've always wanted to walk away from Louisiana (sucky state, don't ever go) and why not make up some plans to just go, even though it's about 99% likely that I won't. Let's just, for a moment, entertain the idea that I'm going to pack a backpack and walk someplace far away--that 1%. Say Colorado, I've always wanted to go there. Here's my list and my planning so far:

Stuff to bring:
Ocarina (most likely the Focalink Soprano G, maybe the Florentine)
Glock Knife (the "duh" item)
Stainless Steel Pot
Blanket
Tent (optional)
Jacket
Bunch of matchbooks
As much water as possible (without being too heavy)
Walking staff
Notebook and pen (journey documenting)
Camera
Extra clothes (skip boxers--unnecessary)
Phone and charger (charge along the way off peoples' homes or in stores, or leave off at all times and use for emergency)
Mp3 player (only if I can find a solar charger for it, could work for phone?)
SUNSCREEN
Toothbrush + paste
Favorite fedora
Bug repellent
Every cent I own

(I didn't actually plan to post this list, it was just in a word document I'm typing up)

My plans are as such: I'm thinking if I walked at night while in the hotter states (like here) it would be a lot easier on me, but at the same time cops like to question people walking on the side of the roads in the middle of the night, especially if they're lugging backpacks. I would find wooded areas to sleep in the tent for free and probably live off Ramen cooked in the pot over fires. I'd probably bum amounts of water off people's hoses in inhabited areas. At walking speed doing pretty much nothing but walking I could probably be in Colorado in, what, two weeks? That's an off-the-top-of-my-head-no-math-or-calculations-whatsoever guess. I couldn't carry much in the way of defensive tools, being a vagrant. So I might drill out the top of the walking stick and fill it with lead or something, and put a steel end cap on to make it a sort of fighting stick.

So guys, what would you suggest I add or remove from the list, and what suggestions do you have for my plans? I thought about putting this in Survival, but it just didn't seem to fit (plus that place is empty).  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:49 am
One thing right off the top of my head would be one of the more compact water filter systems that backpackers carry nowadays. Seems there has been one on the market for almost 20 years that comes in the form of a large drinking straw. The maker claimed you could recycle urine with it, but never showed a demonstration.

Just shove it into a questionable water source and it stops the most dangerous items this side of a deliberate attack by poison or biological means.

As for how you're going to carry your money, mix it up and hide as much of it as possible in things like a debit card and travelers checks. Once cash is stolen, that's it. At least with travelers checks, you can get that money back if you report it to the bank you got them from.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Floyd
One thing right off the top of my head would be one of the more compact water filter systems that backpackers carry nowadays. Seems there has been one on the market for almost 20 years that comes in the form of a large drinking straw. The maker claimed you could recycle urine with it, but never showed a demonstration.

Just shove it into a questionable water source and it stops the most dangerous items this side of a deliberate attack by poison or biological means.

As for how you're going to carry your money, mix it up and hide as much of it as possible in things like a debit card and travelers checks. Once cash is stolen, that's it. At least with travelers checks, you can get that money back if you report it to the bank you got them from.

Yeah, I'd planned to keep it all in a debit card, not in bills. Should have amended that part of the list. Hm, water filter--hadn't thought of that. I figured I'd just bum water off hoses like I said, but there'd be plenty of open countryside with no hoses and I wouldn't want to lug a jug (or more) of water through those parts...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm
Don't forget to bring the sad walking away music from the Incredible Hulk.  

OberFeldwebel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm
OberFeldwebel
Get some mini speakers and a diskman and play the song off the diskman. If you have your MP3 player you can listen to your own music while it plays. It should get a good reaction from others. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel
Get some mini speakers and a diskman and play the song off the diskman. If you have your MP3 player you can listen to your own music while it plays. It should get a good reaction from others. biggrin
Damn you guys, you beat me to it.  

Krilliad

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:18 pm
Iodine tablets and an empty Arizona tea bottle should solve the water problem. Get the Potable Aqua brand; it comes with a tablet that neutralizes the iodine taste and color.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:57 am
Just FYI, if you have time and don't want to waste the iodine, just put the bottle of water in the sun for a couple hours. The UV kills everything inside, so it's safe to drink.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Fresnel
Just FYI, if you have time and don't want to waste the iodine, just put the bottle of water in the sun for a couple hours. The UV kills everything inside, so it's safe to drink.
This is a better idea with a clear bottle. Az bottles are dark brown so very little light gets through.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:09 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
This is a better idea with a clear bottle. Az bottles are dark brown so very little light gets through.
Oh, right. I'm used to the one-gallon jugs, which are clear.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
Oh, right. I'm used to the one-gallon jugs, which are clear.
Right I forgot about those. I don't really buy the AZ tea because it's too sugary for my liking. I just get the 1 quart bottles of pomegranate green tea. The 1 gallon jugs would probably be more worth while.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Don't bother. Get a car, or plane ticket.  

Inquisitor Brock

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:17 pm
I don't think the point is to get from point A to point B but rather the experience of the walk within itself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:55 pm
Well, if you're in an area with a lot of lakes or streams, get some sort of water purifier.
That'll probably work.

I suppose bring anything you'd take camping or on a hike, except add some type of water purification.
confused  

OberFeldwebel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:57 pm
OberFeldwebel
Well, if you're in an area with a lot of lakes or streams, get some sort of water purifier.
That'll probably work.

I suppose bring anything you'd take camping or on a hike, except add some type of water purification.
confused
More likely for a hike. Taking all the stuff for camping will weigh too much.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff