Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
New legislation on Cigarettes aimed at teens - Obama Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:45 am
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEjFYiD2CoedIv_2zTjchS7Z41KAD98PLO1G0

Article above.

This bill is fairly strict and even bans favored cigarettes including *Gasp* cloves, which I can't even believe. While I believe that we should protect teens from cigarettes, I think banning flavored cigarettes for everyone is a little harsh!

What are your opinions on the new legislation?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:45 pm
Obviously the only true way to stop teens from getting cigarettes is to make it illegal. Nobody breaks the law, y'know?

Seriously though, WTF. Cloves? s**t's disgusting. Who the hell would smoke CLOVE-FLAVORED cigarettes?  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:38 pm
DioxazinePlum
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEjFYiD2CoedIv_2zTjchS7Z41KAD98PLO1G0

Article above.

This bill is fairly strict and even bans favored cigarettes including *Gasp* cloves, which I can't even believe. While I believe that we should protect teens from cigarettes, I think banning flavored cigarettes for everyone is a little harsh!

It's ******** stupid, and the whole "teens" thing is just a cover for the fact that they're really just trying to fade out tobacco legality, and they don't have the balls to say it to our faces.

Seriously, I can understand banning billboards and other ads, but the last I checked, that was already illegal, outside of adult magazines, such as Playboy.

And what do they gain from banning menthols and lights?

And let's be honest, kids are going to smoke if they choose to, and nothing you can do is going to change that, short of outright banning them. And that's infringement on the rights of smokers.

Obama has officially shot himself in the foot.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:03 pm
black_wing_angel
And let's be honest, criminals are going to get guns if they choose to, and nothing you can do is going to change that, short of outright banning them. And that's infringement on the rights of law-abiding citizens.
Sorry, but is this parallel occurring to anyone else?  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:09 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
And let's be honest, criminals are going to get guns if they choose to, and nothing you can do is going to change that, short of outright banning them. And that's infringement on the rights of law-abiding citizens.
Sorry, but is this parallel occurring to anyone else?

Oh yes, from the very get-go.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:03 pm
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum

Article above.

It's ******** stupid, and the whole "teens" thing is just a cover for the fact that they're really just trying to fade out tobacco legality, and they don't have the balls to say it to our faces.

Seriously, I can understand banning billboards and other ads, but the last I checked, that was already illegal, outside of adult magazines, such as Playboy.

And let's be honest, kids are going to smoke if they choose to, and nothing you can do is going to change that, short of outright banning them. And that's infringement on the rights of smokers.

Getting rid of marketing cigarettes as "lights" is because "light" makes it seem like they are somehow less bad for you, which is just not true. So they don't want people to think they are smoking a better cigarette because it says "light". The idea of getting rid of flavors is so that no one wants to smoke anymore... which is effective... but still.... vanilla cloves....r.i.p.  

DioxazinePlum

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:04 pm
Fresnel
Obviously the only true way to stop teens from getting cigarettes is to make it illegal. Nobody breaks the law, y'know?

Seriously though, WTF. Cloves? s**t's disgusting. Who the hell would smoke CLOVE-FLAVORED cigarettes?

You crazy!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 pm
Personally, I think this is good but only because I've got this huge pet peeve about second-hand smoke and people being douches about it. If you light up or blow smoke around me I'll punch your teeth in.
Otherwise, I say let people smoke. A lot, even. The world is populated enough as it is. The only bad thing about this is that it's a gradual death for most, which just clogs up our hospitals.  

Kuchen Fairy

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:06 pm
DioxazinePlum
Fresnel

You crazy!
Both purple Necco wafers and CLOVE-brand, clove-flavored gum are utterly disgusting. I don't think clove-flavored cigarettes are much of a loss, especially if they smell as bad as they taste.

And for the record, Lights are better for you so long as you keep your lips dry. I think that's how they worked...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:54 am
DioxazinePlum
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum

Article above.

Getting rid of marketing cigarettes as "lights" is because "light" makes it seem like they are somehow less bad for you, which is just not true. So they don't want people to think they are smoking a better cigarette because it says "light". The idea of getting rid of flavors is so that no one wants to smoke anymore... which is effective... but still.... vanilla cloves....r.i.p.

Whatever happened to "education"? and "Personal responsibility"? At the very least, they could put ANOTHER warning label on the pack that says "Warning: Light cigarettes are not a safe alternative to normal cigarettes", like how they put on chewing tobacco "Warning, this product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes".  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:18 am
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

Obama is not only reading my fellow writer Eduardo Galeano, he´s copying our ridiculous smoking-ban laws too.

Yes, I live in Uruguay, and it´s been two months since a law was created to make blues, lights, clovers and cigarette varieties other than standard, to disappear from the uruguayan market. And two years since we can´t smoke in any closed-up place, pubs and bars included.

As a response to this, cigarette brands just created another brand for their "light", "menthol" and "clover" cigarettes, keeping their old packages´ design and colour. So, smokers still are free to choose. And no light labels. All very legal, clover, light, and whatever its inside the box. All of them standards.

I´m a Marketing Analyst, so I know we are always ahead of the (idiotic) law, so if your favourite brand does the same they did here, you won´t lose your lights or clovers.

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:16 pm
Meet Your Mistress
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

Obama is not only reading my fellow writer Eduardo Galeano, he´s copying our ridiculous smoking-ban laws too.

Yes, I live in Uruguay, and it´s been two months since a law was created to make blues, lights, clovers and cigarette varieties other than standard, to disappear from the uruguayan market. And two years since we can´t smoke in any closed-up place, pubs and bars included.

As a response to this, cigarette brands just created another brand for their "light", "menthol" and "clover" cigarettes, keeping their old packages´ design and colour. So, smokers still are free to choose. And no light labels. All very legal, clover, light, and whatever its inside the box. All of them standards.

I´m a Marketing Analyst, so I know we are always ahead of the (idiotic) law, so if your favourite brand does the same they did here, you won´t lose your lights or clovers.

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain
So what you're saying is that the law will have an effect for a month or so while they rev up production and draw out a new brand, and then we'll be right back where we were before?  

Fresnel

Citizen

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 pm
Fresnel

Dude ciggarettes with cloves instead of tobacco are the ******** s**t, I looooove them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
Fresnel

Dude ciggarettes with cloves instead of tobacco are the ******** s**t, I looooove them.
You people are ******** weird. I'm gonna go eat some vegemite.  

Fresnel

Citizen

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 pm
Fresnel
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
Fresnel

You people are ******** weird. I'm gonna go eat some vegemite.
More for me! biggrin  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces